For Book: Mobster Pistol in 1979

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's not too hard to research present-day things, but to know about the state of things in 1979 is more difficult.

For my current book, I need a make and model for a pistol that was available in 1979. Specifically,

1. Something that a mobster in San Francisco might have
  2. Has a safety
  3. Semi-automatic with a magazine that holds a lot of bullets
  4. Could have a suppressor
Thanks.

Al, when I was a kid we has a book " Encyclopedia of Firearms" there was a page on all modern firearms. You can download a pdf of the current version. You might find a hardcopy at your local library or firearm dealer.

Last edited:
I saw that. But I thought that the 44 magnum could get a pass on that little detail. It would provide more impact in the book.

I was looking at double stack 1911A1 but looks like they didn't come around until the 80s.
A double stack might be a 1911 style, but it wouldn't be a Colt.

Plus, if I'm correctly reading between the lines of Al's post, the additional grip safety might not fit the story properly.

It's not too hard to research present-day things, but to know about the state of things in 1979 is more difficult.

For my current book, I need a make and model for a pistol that was available in 1979. Specifically,

1. Something that a mobster in San Francisco might have
  2. Has a safety
  3. Semi-automatic with a magazine that holds a lot of bullets
  4. Could have a suppressor
Thanks.

How about a Colt 1911? Can't go wrong with that.

Thanks. I think I'll go with the Smith & Wesson Model 59.

Any reason why it wouldn't be able to have a suppressor?

Were suppressors illegal in California in 1979?

Were suppressors illegal in California in 1979?

Yes, I believe the have never been legal in CA.

Make sure you understand the difference between suppressor and silencer. One is much more effective, the other is currently legal, with some paperwork, in 42 states.

Last edited:
Also, I might need the gun to jam. Would that be reasonable with the 59?

Some research says yes: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/473726-model-59-jamming.html

Is there something that would make the gun prone to jam? Drop it? Get it wet?
I'm not familiar with the 59 but any semi- auto pistol can jam.

Looking at some firearm forums suggest the 59 is no exception.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/473726-model-59-jamming.html

ETA: Jams occur at the worst possible time. I'd look at older ammunition. The link I sent suggested springs were a common failure point. Sometimes particular magazines might be more likely to jam, at least there's a reference to that in the above link.

Last edited:
Yes, the Model 59 could have a suppressor. Being illegal in California shouldn't make any difference to a mobster.

As for jamming, it will definitely jam.

One relatively common reason would be "limp wristing" the gun when firing. That means not holding it firmly and absorbing some of the recoil with your wrist. That can cause the action to not fully eject the spent casing, jamming the slide open.

Jamming could be caused by lack of cleaning the build up from repeated firing (the inside). Also if it was wet and not properly cleaned could lead to rust in the barrel/chamber which could cause spent shell casing to not eject properly.

One relatively common reason would be "limp wristing" the gun when firing. That means not holding it firmly and absorbing some of the recoil with your wrist. That can cause the action to not fully eject the spent casing, jamming the slide open.

Excellent, I think I'll use that.

All semi automatics jam. Some more often than others. As a rule cheaper guns will jam more often than more expensive ones (quality) but they all can and will jam. I do have a couple of very high quality 1911's that very rarely jam. Some factors that cause jamming, quality of gun, type of ammo, shooting style e.g. limp wrist, poor cleaning, etc. And btw, revolvers can and do jam too, just not that often.

edit; I just saw the mention of limp wrist in an early post. It tends to be a bigger type of jamming problem with new/novice shooters.

Last edited:
A couple of examples of that kind of jam:
pm2.jpg
pistol-malfunction1.jpg

Second picture above is called "stove piping."

Mobster might want an evil looking gun like the CZ-52. No kind of quiet though, but prone to jamming with the combination of old springs and ammo.

Back
Top Bottom