For Coffee Pod Users: Your Favorites?

Kirkland Pacific Bold from Costco. You can catch them on sale for $0.26 each.

Full flavor, good tasting cup of coffee.

Only a Keurig machine thread? No Nespresso users/ drinkers here? I switched to a Nespresso Vertuo Next machine and love it. Its slim profile on the counter and very simple to use. I find their coffees with the "creama" foam topping tastes more like coffee should than any Keurig pods I've used. The Coffee is HOTTER and there are tons of pod varieties to choose from. They are not as available as K-cups but ordering them from Nespresso or buying them in certain stores (Target carries the pods) isn't too inconvenient. There are even Starbucks varieties in Nespresso. Pair this machine with a companion milk frother and you have an entire barista set up.

Can we talk coffee pods? I have a new to me Keurig (Mini--it is adorable and tiny and really makes good coffee). I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I like the ease of the thing and not having to deal with ground coffee and filters. I like a pretty full bodied roast, although dark roast tends to do a number on my stomach. Wondering what your favorites are and where you buy them. Even at .50 a pod, I think they aren't bad economically for a person who drinks 1-2 cups per day, but savings are always welcome. I also wonder how long they last so don't want to save by ordering huge packs of 100 or so.

I need decaf coffee so I buy 100 V-cups decaf Happy Belly on Amazon for 30 cents per V-cup. I drink one decaf cup in the morning while I am making breakfast. This works for me since I am busy in the morning getting ready for my morning bicycle ride to stay fit.

However, in the lazy afternoon I like a cup of very strong decaf coffee similar to Starbucks. I use a OXO pour over which allows a stronger brew. The V-cup coffee at 12 oz setting is weak by comparison because there is a smaller and fixed amount of coffee in a V-cup pod compared to the amount of coffee that I use in a OXO pour over. Even at the 6 oz setting, the coffee is not strong enough. For coffee lovers who like starbuck strength coffee try an OXO pour over. I love both my keurig in the morning and my OXO pour over device in the afternoon. Here is a link to a OXO drip coffee maker with a video on how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Single-C...4&sr=1-1-f0029781-b79b-4b60-9cb0-eeda4dea34d6

If you drink Cafe Mocha or just like rich hot chocolate in addition to coffee, try the Cafe Escapes Cafe Mocha pods.

I order from Maud’s Coffee.
https://shopblends.com/
But I buy only when there’s a sale on Brads Deals
https://www.bradsdeals.com/

At the sale price it’s $30 for a 100 count or $.30 each. Shipping is free and very fast.
I like dark roast. They have cute names for the blends and there’s also a 1-10 range for how dark the roast is.
They also have new customer discounts, so start cheap.

These are what I’m drinking now and my bias is towards the French Roast.
TALL DARK & HANDSOME DARK ROAST #8
FRENCH ROAST FROM THE COAST #9
ESPRESS-O YOURSELF #10

Of course they have lighter roasts as well

Only a Keurig machine thread? No Nespresso users/ drinkers here? I switched to a Nespresso Vertuo Next machine and love it. Its slim profile on the counter and very simple to use. I find their coffees with the "creama" foam topping tastes more like coffee should than any Keurig pods I've used. The Coffee is HOTTER and there are tons of pod varieties to choose from. They are not as available as K-cups but ordering them from Nespresso or buying them in certain stores (Target carries the pods) isn't too inconvenient. There are even Starbucks varieties in Nespresso. Pair this machine with a companion milk frother and you have an entire barista set up.

I have tried both (never owned either) and agree that Nespresso seems to taste more like real coffee than the K-cups. But the Nespresso I tried was in Europe which has somewhat higher coffee standards than the USA. But, we are catching up!

I am pretty I sure I saw Nespresso cups at Costco earlier this month.

I have tried both (never owned either) and agree that Nespresso seems to taste more like real coffee than the K-cups. But the Nespresso I tried was in Europe which has somewhat higher coffee standards than the USA. But, we are catching up!

You probably eat brie and baguettes too, you cosmopolitan, you.

A Nespresso machine was available at a AAA waiting area and the coffee was indeed better than a K-cup. However the cost per cup of coffee was about twice as much as a K-cup. I estimate about 40 to 50 cents more per cup but I do recommend the Nespresso machine if you are willing to pay the extra cost. Still less than a $2.00 a cup at Starbucks.

Those might have been the Original Nespresso (smaller ) pods. I haven’t seen the Vertuo pods in Costco by me but I will check online.

Also, Nespresso provides prepaid recycling bags for their aluminum pods. Just fill the bag and drop it at a UPS store.

A Nespresso machine was available at a AAA waiting area and the coffee was indeed better than a K-cup. However the cost per cup of coffee was about twice as much as a K-cup. I estimate about 40 to 50 cents more per cup but I do recommend the Nespresso machine if you are willing to pay the extra cost. Still less than a $2.00 a cup at Starbucks.

Agreed, a bit more expensive but I have built the cost into my “spend” in retirement figures. Some things I don’t want to compromise on, like good coffee!

Can we talk coffee pods? I have a new to me Keurig (Mini--it is adorable and tiny and really makes good coffee). I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I like the ease of the thing and not having to deal with ground coffee and filters. I like a pretty full bodied roast, although dark roast tends to do a number on my stomach. Wondering what your favorites are and where you buy them. Even at .50 a pod, I think they aren't bad economically for a person who drinks 1-2 cups per day, but savings are always welcome. I also wonder how long they last so don't want to save by ordering huge packs of 100 or so.

Starbucks House Blend has been our go-to for years. Convenience outweighs the cost, as DW and I each drink only 1 cup each day.

If I had the counter space, and a strong enough need, I'd definitely get a Nespresso (I have a pretty big Espresso semi-auto maker, and a very small kitchen, and other gadgets and stuff). I'd have to make my own pods for every day though, with those reusable pods.

I recently switched from starbucks espresso to Lavazza as the base for my morning latte and would never go back.

I have two Nespresso machines, a newer Vertuo (3-4 years old?) for one large cup in the morning and an older Original (10 years) for an afternoon espresso. It’s my BTD indulgence. Both my daughters have Keurig machines and we’ve done side by side tastes a couple of times. In their opinion Nespresso is hands down better, but the coffee is pricey.

Costco sells Peet's espresso capsules for the original line and IMO are the best option among the alternative capsule producers. Like Nespresso, Peet’s also recycles the capsules by mail. I’m not aware of any pod alternative for the Vertuo.

We have both. To me they are different coffee experiences.

For Nespresso we go through a lot of Arpeggio decaf.

I drink my Nespresso straight.

I think the Vertuo capsules are proprietary. The original capsules aren’t, which is why there are lots of alternatives.

I agree that Nespresso tastes better than Keurig, but it does cost more per cup. I buy the Peet’s capsules at Costco and if you catch them on sale, it’s around $0.40 per capsule.

I usually only have a single cup in the morning and with the Nespresso I make an Americano.

They are just starting to get reliable refillable capsules for the Vertuo, so I may try one. Buying pods is a no go for our engineering household, and the other issue is the ability to install my auto fill float system. Nespresso machines have small and narrow water reservoirs and would need a very small float.

audreyh1: No offence, but there is nothing nice about decaf coffee. ;)

Last edited:

didn't read thru the 4pgs of thread, so may have been mentioned. I found the cheapest pods at Ollie's https://www.ollies.us/home.html if there happens to be one near you. I get 80ct box for $16 - .20 each

Back
Top Bottom