For grins: expand the "Won the game" metaphor

I'm still not sure I understand the metaphor.

Winning what? The Game of Life? Surely keeping score is more than just tallying up dollars for points. And it's not really a zero-sum game. He who dies with the most toys is NOT always the winner.

Or did I miss a previous conversation? I did a quick search of the FAQ but came up empty.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my concept of "winning" just pertained to being able to ER on my own terms, with no concern about my finances supporting that ER. I generally liked my career, but certainly not nearly as much as not being in my (or any) career.

There's a common statement made here.

It refers to the point when you've accomplished FI but have not RE'ed or OMY syndrome.

This refers to when you have enough to retire, why keep investing in equities. It was said by Bernstein after he realized many of his clients had sold at the bottom in 2008 and not gotten back in.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my concept of "winning" just pertained to being able to ER on my own terms, with no concern about my finances supporting that ER. I generally liked my career, but certainly not nearly as much as not being in my (or any) career.

+100

There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.

All of the sources (FIRE Calc, i-ORP, Fido, etc) say that my team is strongly favored to win the game. The game is soon to start, just after I stand for the national anthem.

This thread reminds me of Yogi. "It ain't over until it's over". While I like to think I've won who knows what the future holds.

I'll have won the game when people look back on my life and remember me fondly.

Hopefully, how FI I was will NOT be what they'll remember when I'm gone.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong league here?

I'll have won the game when people look back on my life and remember me fondly.

Hopefully, how FI I was will NOT be what they'll remember when I'm gone.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong league here?

CaptTom,

I think there is a misunderstanding. Maybe it’s with me.

But the metaphor of winning the game in this case is not about winning the game of life. It refers to what Bill Bernstein called winning the game of investing. His point was if you’ve won the investing game (eg. have all the money you need for life), then why keep investing in the market and expose yourself to that risk? He was advising his clients to get out of the market or reduce there market exposure if they have ‘won the game’.

Hope this helps. I believe this is the ‘game’ OP was referring to when they started the thread topic.

Muir

CaptTom,

I think there is a misunderstanding. Maybe it’s with me.

Thank you. The misunderstanding was mine.

So the metaphor is, investing is a game. Get out once you've won.

I like it. I suspect too many people achieve some level of success, but are never satisfied. They waste their lives always chasing that next milestone.

Thank you. The misunderstanding was mine.

So the metaphor is, investing is a game. Get out once you've won.

I like it. I suspect too many people achieve some level of success, but are never satisfied. They waste their lives always chasing that next milestone.
I have a friend in the mid 8 figure net worth. He was talking about speculating in metals and I said that i did that when I was a player but now I am a winner so no more. OTOH I watch individual stocks for entry point and exit points. Can't help myself!

I'm in the process of shaking up the champagne to spray on my teammates since the game is over.

I'm still in the "can't shake up the champagne and shoot it everywhere" mindset because my kids might see me doing it. Which is bad - I'm wasting a valuable resource and it'll make a horrible mess inside the house (and we don't have a maid :) ).

There, but for the grace of God, the game is won.

Considering where I started, I'm ahead by 30 points in the 4th quarter.

Back
Top Bottom