For those of you who use the Apple ipad????

dessert

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our new ipad recently began receiving a pop-up that locks up the ipad. Here is a link to a picture of the pop-up.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6975779

The only way to get rid of it is to turn off the ipad and restart it.
This is only temporary as it will return a short time later.
From what I have learned by searching on my desktop, this is not a real threat and clicking on the "OK" link is safe.

My issue is when a pop-up completely hijacks your device why would I want to click onto their link?
Has anyone else seen this and know anything that I could do to prevent it? :confused:

That's awful. No, I haven't ever seen it although I use my iPad every day. You're right, I would never click on something like that. I suppose some people might. Thanks for the "heads up". If I do see it, I'll do as you suggest (restart).

If that shows up on my iPad I will throw it out the window. Awful. I hope you can find out how to permanently prevent it (and you will share that here :)). What happens if you click on the OK link?

Does Apple allow you to use Ad Block Plus? It's the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to crap like that.

I forgot to mention--did you clear your browsing history and cookies before/after turning your ipad off and on?

have you tried safari on ipad privacy settings?

go to General and scroll down to Safari

make sure block pop-ups and fraudulent website warning are enabled

you could also try clearing history

I don;t have the problem but they might help.

That's awful. No, I haven't ever seen it although I use my iPad every day. You're right, I would never click on something like that. I suppose some people might. Thanks for the "heads up". If I do see it, I'll do as you suggest (restart).

That's what we have been doing but it shows back up in short order so that is not a good option either.

If that shows up on my iPad I will throw it out the window. Awful. I hope you can find out how to permanently prevent it (and you will share that here :)). What happens if you click on the OK link?

Well, I haven't tried that yet but might do it later.

Does Apple allow you to use Ad Block Plus? It's the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to crap like that.

Thanks for the information. I might end up doing that too.

I forgot to mention--did you clear your browsing history and cookies before/after turning your ipad off and on?

No we didn't do that but I'll give it a try to see if that works. Thanks

have you tried safari on ipad privacy settings?

go to General and scroll down to Safari

make sure block pop-ups and fraudulent website warning are enabled

you could also try clearing history

I don;t have the problem but they might help.

Thanks for this information too. I'll give that a try.

I am also going to Apple.com and will email them for assistance on this problem.
We have been using ipads for years and have never had a problem until this point. We don't use ad blockers, have never even gone to privacy settings, cleared history etc. Time to start maybe.
Keep the comments coming and I'll update this thread if I discover anything.

You can FOR SURE get rid of the problem by resetting the iPad back to original factory defaults (just like new out of the box). It should be in the "Settings" area.

Is this happening with Safari or Chrome - or both?

Bestwifeever, your suggestion here is what did it. :dance:

I have never had to clear history or websites from the settings page before now. This has been a good lesson to learn. I was instant messaging with an Apple tech and she said that was going to be the first thing she would ask me to do. I had already done it and it worked.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. This forum is full of great and knowledgeable folks. :cool:

If this is happening in Safari, go to Settings, then the Safari preferences.
There is a switch there you can use to block popups.

Is this happening with Safari or Chrome - or both?

When I go to the settings, Safari,Search engine, it says "google".
I have options of yahoo, bing and duckduckgo.

All this time I thought Safari was a search engine but I guess its not.
By the way, this is the new ipad air 2.

Sounds like a browser hijack, but a quick search didn't turn up much at all for
'd4pages'.

Found this though (can't vouch for it though):

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/Q74jiLWfLdM[1-25]

Hi All, just adding this to dispel some of the speculation so people aren't led astray.

What we know about the Slimspots problem:
It's most likely a mobile advertisement that abuses its ability to be embedded in a webpage
It occurs randomly depending on if the ad is served to you
It might take you to a website that encourages you to install malware
It can affect both Android and iPhone
It can be stopped by disabling Javascript on your device
It can be stopped by using a browser that supports an Ad-blocking extension (eg. Firefox)
It is probably because the ad distribution network (most likely Doubleclick) continues to allow Slimspots to publish their ads
These won't fix the problem, so don't bother:
don't waste your time doing a factory reset on your phone
don't install some third-party 'cleaning' application on your computer
don't follow the 'instructions' on a bunch of new websites that have cottoned onto this problem

DD had a browser hijack of her macbookpro. That took a fair amount of web reading and tracking down a bunch of files to remove before it was fixed.

Good Luck - ERD50

When I go to the settings, Safari,Search engine, it says "google".
I have options of yahoo, bing and duckduckgo.

All this time I thought Safari was a search engine but I guess its not.
By the way, this is the new ipad air 2.

Safari is a browser. Chrome (made by Google) and Firefox are browsers.

Search engines are the pages you go to using your web browser (and/or are built into the search/address bar) - Google, Bing, StartPage, yahoo, a bunch of 'em.

-ERD50

And people wonder why I use AdBlock and disable Flash...

The iGadgets here all run with the default Safari browser and the following Settings for Safari:
Block Pop-ups ON
Do Not Track ON
Block Cookies 'From third parties and advertisers'
Fraudulent Website Warning ON

This cuts down on the nonsense considerably.

Back
Top Bottom