For those worried about privacy

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Surveillance Society: An index to continuing coverage

Your personal data is bought, borrowed and stolen -- but mostly you give it away
This year the Post-Gazette is examining the explosion of surveillance on everyday citizens -- by the government, by private companies and by individuals -- as well as what is being done with the massive amount of private data collected. This in-depth look includes articles, videos and interactives. Coming this summer, a multimedia exploration of all the privacy intrusions that occur in an ordinary day.

As the saying goes, ¨if something is free, it means your information is the product¨.

Facebook is a prime example of data mining disguised as free social media.

If you want to get really paranoid read "Dragnet Nation" by Julia Angwin. I know there's plenty being collected about me; right now I'm being "served" banner ads for appliances, outdoor gear and Extended Stay hotels because I've been reseraching all of them. It's pretty creepy.

Although I know I've given up a lot of privacy here are a few things I've done/not done so I could observe some boundaries.

I haven't downloaded the FaceBook messenger app. If someone sends me a PM I'll wait till I get to my desktop to read it. I use PMs on FB only to ask someone for their e-mail address so I can keep the conversation out of FB's data. There are very few sites I've "Liked" on FB. Still creeped out by the "suggested content" in my stream from Wal-Mart informing me that "(Name of friend who died 2 years ago)" likes Wal-Mart. (The family kept her FB account open and occasionally posts memories there.)

I download very few apps- only the ones I will use. I've controlled the settings for which can use my location (can always switch it back if needed) and I keep Location Settings in general to Off unless I need it for something.

I keep Cellular Data off on my phone. It's a bit unsettling to find that if you keep Cellular Data on there's activity (data being passed back and forth) in the middle of the night while you're asleep.

I have a spamcatcher Gmail account for any entity that I suspect will bombard me with weekly e-mails.

If a site requires that I log in with FaceBook to post comments, I don't post comments.

Facebook doesn't know much about me, including not having my name.

I never signed up for "free" email accounts - I figured there was a gotcha. We have our own domain name service we pay for.

DH keeps all Google apps off his computers.

I uses separate email addresses for Facebook, Google, and Yahoo - separate from my "normal" one.

Yes - they definitely track where I've been, because those ads pop up. I block what I can and ignore the rest.

Unfortunate.y.......we choose to stay off all social media. I miss face book but it just wasn't worth the effort and time and exposure. Now......maybe we could dump these smart phones?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If I needed to disappear, the first thing I would do is mail the smartphone to a random address somewhere in the world. Bust up the laptop with a hammer and have a bonfire. Ditch the electronic'd vehicle for something 20 years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom