Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

For women only How to LBYM and stay clothed
Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

For women only How to LBYM and stay clothed

Okay I've seen some of the clothes budgets and I can see how you can save a lot of money buying clothes or doing without but with bras topping $30.00 how do you stay in underwear and remain LBYM .Guys have it made a package of four for $9.99 and they are set .We women have bras ,panties ,don't even get me started on panthose ( when I lived up north I spent hundreds on pantyhose ) .So what are your tips to stay clothed and save money or have all the LBYM 'ers burned their bras ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[quote=Moemg;551981]We women have bras ,panties ,don't even get me started on pantyhose{/quote]

I can tell I'm gonna like this thread!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #3

i get most of my bras and panties at nordie rack...the former are about 1/2 price (between 20-30 each, used to be 40-60) and the latter about $2 a piece, more if i splurge!

i used to work in lingerie, so i stick to the nicer brands and try to maintain them, only restock about 2 times per year.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
but with bras topping $30.00 how do you stay in underwear and remain LBYM
OK who wants to be first?

Bras? Don't need no stinkin bras!

Oh, sorry, it said for women only.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Oh, sorry, it said for women only.
From the subject I thought this was going to be a thread about dating issues... no way was I going to pass by that warning!

Oh... my spouse says "Goodwill" and "Ross Dress for Less".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
For Women Only
Old 08-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #6

For Women Only

My DW has to have those super-industrial strength and size bras. I don't even dare ask how much they cost! I expect that by the time they ever make it to a Goodwill store, they'd be pretty much toast,though. That's a whole lotta pressure!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Guys, please look the other way!! LOL

sears.com has 39 bras for under $10 (I just checked), and I didn't count the ones under $20 but I think there were maybe 60 or so. I try to buy sturdy, practical styles that will do the job, wear well and not fall apart, hence Sears. I keep my eyes open for sales. Last time I got my favorite style for half price.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
My DW has to have those super-industrial strength and size bras. I don't even dare ask how much they cost! I expect that by the time they ever make it to a Goodwill store, they'd be pretty much toast,though. That's a whole lotta pressure!

If I told you how much they cost it would raise your BP so let me just say that one of her bras is equal to your whole underwear budget .
Old 08-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Plus why do women have to pay more than guys for the same items .Bathing suits ! Guy bathing suits are $19.99 and women bathing suits are a days pay ! What's fair about that !
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

sears.com has 39 bras for under $10 (I just checked), and I didn't count the ones under $20 but I think there were maybe 60 or so. I try to buy sturdy, practical styles that will do the job, wear well and not fall apart, hence Sears. I keep my eyes open for sales. Last time I got my favorite style for half price.

Thanks I'll have to check out Sears !
Old 08-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Sears has good value when there is a sale. I also check a favourite store in Europe when I travel there. Buy most of my undies there in fact....and pajamas!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Plus why do women have to pay more than guys for the same items .Bathing suits ! Guy bathing suits are $19.99 and women bathing suits are a days pay ! What's fair about that !
I bought two new bathing suits a few weeks ago: $4.88 each.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Dude your wrong. Pure D wrong. Like sleeping on the sofa tonight wrong.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I bought two new bathing suits a few weeks ago: $4.88 each.

I have to know where ??
Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #15

Speaking as one who is of "um" voluptuous proportions. Do not skimp on the bra. Buy quality on sale but buy quality. I will skimp some where else in my budget before I would put on a cheap or worse still a used bra.

If you are not too large you can get away with a sports bra and they are easy to find for under $20 on sale. However they do not work with every outfit so you have to have a standard one or a specialty one depending on the outfit. You clothes look and fit better with proper fitting foundation garments. Good ones last for year if hand washed or washed on the gentle cycle of the wash and lined dried.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #16

I just bought three bras on clearance at Kohls - forget the exact price, but it was under $20 for all three together. But I'm "not too large" so I don't need the industrial strength ones.

As to pantyhose, in the winter I wear tights instead of hose for all but the most formal occasions. They don't cost less, but they wash in the machine and don't self-destruct while you are putting them on.

Bathing suits - I've had the same one for 6 years - but it's falling apart. Again, Clearance racks are my choice.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Speaking as one who is of "um" voluptuous proportions. Do not skimp on the bra. Buy quality on sale but buy quality. I will skimp some where else in my budget before I would put on a cheap or worse still a used bra.

I feel the same way plus a fancy bra pays you back in more ways than one .
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I feel the same way plus a fancy bra pays you back in more ways than one .
Now your talking. DH buys those for me. I like wearing them when we go out and tell him what I have on when we get to our destination. Messes with his mind.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #19

I get Victoria's Secret bras but really scrimp on panties...Target, outlet stores. I wear my undies till they fall apart or the underwire starts killing me. My clothing budget is a little wierd. I've been on two cruises since retiring and I tend to buy new clothes just before cruises. I probably spent too much since what I budgeted for this year is almost gone. Might be a cold winter.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:
I wear my undies till they fall apart or the underwire starts killing me.
You're a better woman than I am.

Never again.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote