Join Early Retirement Today

For you dog lovers
Old 01-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For you dog lovers

This is a link to a blog post by a crusty old guy living in a RV down by the river who works as a gate guard in the Eagle Ford oil patch in southwest Texas. You dog lovers will likely find it interesting:

MyOldRV.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, that made me tear up.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

".......you are only allowed one great dog in your life..."

This was mine:

The proud father, with mom in the background........oftentimes, when the mother is nursing new pups, (these are, of course, older), she won't allow any male dogs around....when we first drove up to visit the newborns she was nursing......she immediately got up and ran over to greet him.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting. I booked marked his blog as its easy to see he's a good guy.

I moan every time I bend over to pick up a clump of hair. I swear my dog is a shedding machine. And its not easy bathing a 95 lb animal although he quietly stands there while I scrub him. But he is a good pal and keeps me active in our daily walks. I doubt I will ever be without one as I live out my remaining years. I will get a smaller one next time though. But one large enough to go on long walks with.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I will check out the blog, thanks!

And Nemo, you know that story is near and dear to me. My best dog was my first BC, Grace, and though I have had quite a few BCs since then, none will ever match her.

Though this one, the tiny Biscuit, comes closest.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1451659090.438643.jpg

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We do not have a dog, but dog sit a Shih Tzu for our neighbor. I also fly for Pilots & Paws, taking rescue dogs to a new home. I have flown as many as 4 small dogs at once.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Though this one, the tiny Biscuit, comes closest
Biscuit looks great! I may have mentioned, (perhaps on the travel thread), that we encountered a lady in Genoa outside the busy train station, where she was awaiting the arrival of friends......she was accompanied by a B.C. that may even have been smarter than the guy I had, (and, from me, that's saying a lot).......no leash necessary, and the dog would periodically go into the station to see if the friends had shown up yet.....she knew why she was there, and who she was looking for.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I call Biscuit my mini BC! She's not as smart as one, but she makes up for it in attitude!

That is a great story about the BC in Genoa--they really are amazing dogs!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We do not have a dog, but dog sit a Shih Tzu for our neighbor. I also fly for Pilots & Paws, taking rescue dogs to a new home. I have flown as many as 4 small dogs at once.

That's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #10

I like the pics of herding dogs people have posted ... so I'll add to the group. Alfie, our English shepherd, on the left and our Aussie sweet pea Lucy on the right.

Attachment 22883
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Alfie and Lucy are lovely! So dignified!

I would take a picture of my Border Collie Georgia, but she is busy being insane and biting the sliding glass door in protest of our roommate's drum practice inside. Sigh... High strung dog, sensitive ears...
So crazy.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

Lucy and Alfie are both blood enemies of the noisy vacuum cleaner, although only Alfie tries to herd it.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, the dreaded vacuum. Today we could also add DH's new drone to the list of hated enemies.
Here's a video I did of her particular brand of crazy a few years ago. She still does this on the regular.

http://youtu.be/KB-KRjf2VsM

Old 01-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yeah, the dreaded vacuum.
If you could cross a vacuum with a water hose it would make a fine dog repellent.

(Loved the vid! When DW & I lived in Ottawa we'd often encounter a very large, stick loving, German Shepherd dog on a nearby trail.......one time, bereft of a suitable stick, he charged into the undergrowth in search of one.....seeing him struggling I went to help out.......he'd found a small tree that had fallen, and was desperately trying to drag it to us before we moved on.)

Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The loyalty and caring of dogs is pretty much unquestioned. Here is video of a dog owner who pretended to collapse while walking his dog:

Dog Owner Pretends to Suddenly Collapse While Walking His Dog and Records the Dog’s Reaction.

As a cat person I prefer cats. Cats can be counted on not to give a damn. Though maybe some dogs have that emotion:

https://i.imgur.com/ZpNBLPj.jpg
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh yeah, the dreaded vacuum. Today we could also add DH's new drone to the list of hated enemies.
Here's a video I did of her particular brand of crazy a few years ago. She still does this on the regular.

http://youtu.be/KB-KRjf2VsM
How high she carries her tail in the video! That's like Alfie when he's on the hunt.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

I'd like to share an excellent blog on dog behavior by a Wisconsin behaviorist named Patricia McConnell. She was on public radio for a number of years and generated a huge number of call-ins every week. She also has a few short books on things like separation anxiety and pack dominance.

Here's a link to one of her November postings on dog licking: What does “Licking” Mean?
Old 01-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
separation anxiety
Observed a pack of African Wild Dogs in Botswana........when 3 or 4 of them got separated from the pack they became borderline hysterical....they literally didn't know which way to turn.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Observed a pack of African Wild Dogs in Botswana........when 3 or 4 of them got separated from the pack they became borderline hysterical....they literally didn't know which way to turn.
Funny. I once had a basenji, a Congolese breed that's widely regarded as one of the more primitive dogs. I had him kennel trained, and when he'd go into his "den" I could latch the door and he didn't care where I was. He'd curl up and go to sleep, and I would go to work or wherever.

But once I went outside with the other dog and left him alone in the kitchen. When I came back a few minutes later I could hear him howling 50 yards away. I opened the door, and found curtains torn, trash turned over and other general chaos. Somehow he'd managed to cut his paw, so there was blood smeared all over the place. From then on I never left him alone without kenneling him first. Of course, he'd happily wander off on his own ... he was not a "velcro" dog.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

^

- With my Border I could put him in the truck, with the side windows fully down and the slider to the bed wide open, tell him to 'stay' and he'd go to sleep.

But when we still had the house, and our neighbor's homes were a little distance apart, he'd (we this learned from a neighbor who said "You were out last night") howl right up until he heard our vehicle approaching, so that by the time we rolled down the drive, the place was silent. Guess he figured we'd abandon the house but not the vehicle.

- Similarly, we followed another pack of African Wild Dogs on a hunt, and learned that they often leave the younger ones who can't keep up, and then notify them when the kill is made.

We parked near the young ones who'd been left behind, and who were totally unconcerned......they slept until a howl told them to "Come and get it", and we were all off and running.

So, I guess it's the perception of separation, rather than the physical apartness, that has the most impact.