For you fans of the groups Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire...

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
...you might want to check out the group Leonid and Friends. I have embedded one of their videos below. They have recorded most of Chicago's hits and EWF's September.

I am a huge fan of the original groups and are just amazed at how well this group has captured their sounds! They are from Russia and have never seen Chicago live.

I was pleased to see that they are going to tour the US in January!

That was fun. Gosh - there seem to be three generations performing!

That's fantastic. Do any of those guys sound like Terry Kath? Big bonus if so.

...you might want to check out the group Leonid and Friends. I have embedded one of their videos below. They have recorded most of Chicago's hits and EWF's September.

I am a huge fan of the original groups and are just amazed at how well this group has captured their sounds! They are from Russia and have never seen Chicago live.

I was pleased to see that they are going to tour the US in January!

Damn.....I saw Chicago live many times and these guys are good....better than good!

That is great! And also strange, because at dinner tonight DH and I were discussing whether or not he'd ever seen Chicago in his youth (we learned we were at many of the same concerts before we ever met). He didn't recall seeing them, but I certainly did - they took up the whole stage!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

I think this was posted a while back, it seems familiar - might have been somewhere else. Anyhow, yes, fantastic rendition of "25 or 6 to 4". Which happens to be one of the few "Chicago" tunes I like, but it's a really great one. And I remember when they were named "CTA" ("Chicago Transit Authority", I guess the real CTA sued?).

-ERD50

saw the "real" Chicago in Vegas this Feb. These guys sound closer to the "old" Chicago than what I saw in Vegas!

Chicago dropped "Transit Authority."

Grand Funk dropped "Railroad."

Sweet dropped "The."

Jefferson Airplane ... oh, never mind.

Fantastic musicians, thank you for sharing the link.

IIRC,I saw Chicago at the Civic Arena back in '74 with my first "steady" girl friend. Great summer night concert, and they opened the roof up, one of the few times they ever did.

I didn't care much for Chicago back when - but dang these guys do a punchy cover! I'm impressed.

wow, I spent many years in this biz and have seen many acts. These guys didn't miss a lick. And I assume they don't speak english which makes it even more amazing. Thanks for sharing it was a nice diversion.

That's fantastic. Do any of those guys sound like Terry Kath? Big bonus if so.

Don't know about voice, but the guitar solo in the middle of the clip was his in the original tune.

All their recordings are on YouTube, posted by the band themselves.

Don't know about voice, but the guitar solo in the middle of the clip was his in the original tune.
I agree. Impressive and I like the band. But they do not have a Kath sound-alike. No surprise really.

I really liked early Chicago when they rocked. After 1975, not so much.

Video is great. Thanks for posting.

That song was recorded in 1969. Next year that will be 50 years!

Last edited:
Thanks very posting - great cover! "25 or 6 to 4" is one of my all time 10 top songs ( I even like the "remake" Chicago did of the song in the 80s, though the original can't be beat).

Chicago and EWF are my 2 favorite bands. Chicago was the first live concert I went to in the mid-70s. I made the Chicago logo on a jeans jacket and wore it to the concert, I had that jacket for years. I first saw EWF live when they came to my college town in 1978.

As a DJ in college and after, during the late 70s/early 80s, I made sure every show I did had at least one EWF and one Chicago song (even if the station music director thought I was crazy).

I saw EWF again in Las Vegas in 2007. We did not know they were playing, but went to the same day ticket booth and got 2 tickets in the 2nd room center. Fantastic concert.

DW and I, along with one of our sons and his then girlfriend, when to see the Chicago-Earth Wind and Fire Tour in 2015 when it came to the east coast. Both groups were FANTASTIC - they started out with a joint set, then Chicago played, then EWF, and they finished with a joint set. DW and I barely sat down for the entire concert. And we educated our son and his girl friend, as they had heard many of the songs, or the melodies in other songs or raps, and did not realize they were that "old" :)

If they come near me again next year, I'm going to plan to go again...

Great video. Thanks for posting. There is an and Earth, Wind and Fire tribute band who tour the Western states called Kalimba who are very good. We try to see them whenever they are in town.

I think this was posted a while back, it seems familiar - might have been somewhere else. Anyhow, yes, fantastic rendition of "25 or 6 to 4". Which happens to be one of the few "Chicago" tunes I like, but it's a really great one. And I remember when they were named "CTA" ("Chicago Transit Authority", I guess the real CTA sued?).

-ERD50

Yeah, that is the story I heard to.
IMHO, CTA and Chicago's second album is where it all started and ended. Never as good after-only an occasional hit per album.

Saw them twice, both times in the city of Chicago. Once with Beach Boys-what a show!

Wow - those guys are great! Thanks for posting.

Saw Chicago a few times in the 70's. I'd see these guys if they come around here.

I was really into them as the Chicago Transit Authority. They were right up there with Blood, Sweat and Tears in my book as superior musicians.

But bands with many members are not so economically feasible today because they had too many musicians to pay. Today, synthesizers are making up the middle sound of many bands.

Back
Top Bottom