Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

For you single guys who need to keep working...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For you single guys who need to keep working...

...here's an interesting job opportunity.

Men who dance ladies around the world - CNN.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There was a movie made about this with Walter Matthau some time ago. Does anyone remember the name of it?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
gone traveling

Grumpy Old Men & Grumpier Old Men. Gotta love Dyan Cannon.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Perfect job for HaHa. He would be exceedingly charming with the ladies.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Perfect job for HaHa. He would be exceedingly charming with the ladies.
He's the first forum member that came to mind when I saw the article...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Though one of us might end up having to rescue him:

Crystal does not allow any hanky panky between the host and the lady guests while on board," says Sheila Hoffman, the ambassador host coordinator for Crystal Cruises, adding that a guilty host is ejected at the next port and left to his own devices to get home

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Crystal does not allow any hanky panky between the host and the lady guests while on board," says Sheila Hoffman, the ambassador host coordinator for Crystal Cruises, adding that a guilty host is ejected at the next port and left to his own devices to get home
At least they don't throw him over the side.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What devices are they referring to?

And exactly who do they think is gonna complain?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The movie you're thinking of is Out to Sea with Jack Lemon.

I've read up on the dance host program, and I understand that dance hosts are not paid. In fact, they have to pay a small fee to the broker, in effect getting a discounted cruise for agreeing to dance with all the single women.

Being a social ballroom dancer, I can tell you that some of the older ladies who've never really danced can be a chore to dance with. They tend to be very stiff. The younger you are, the easier it is to learn to dance. I haven't decided whether I would want to do this.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's it: Out to see with Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau! Cute movie!
If I were a retired single guy with the time, I'd sign up for a small fee to be fawned over by the ladies...some job! Now...if they would just come up with a job like that for us ladies over 60...........................................(you guys have just got to start living longer)!
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting how this all works, if you are say under 30 and female you can make good money as go go dancer (and great money as an exotic dancer ). But if you are a guy you have to wait until you are over 60 and then you you just get a discount on a cruise!

Plus the woman live longer!
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the dancing-in-retirement general topic, not aboard cruise ships, but for those interested in retiring to the Philippines:

There's a lot of older women who pay for dance instructors. My mom will soon be 84 and her D.I. (dance instructor) is around 30 - 35. She assures me there is no hanky-panky involved.

I wonder if older "Amerikano" D.I.'s would find a niche there. Lance--can you dance?

The comment by EMF about older women being very stiff made me chuckle. This D.I. thing might not be so bad because you will be paid to dance. You never know, once you get over the stiffness, a romance could blossom, too, between you and grammy!

Dance Addict's Guide
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting link. It seems that some who would like to find non-paid partners to dance with are being crowded out by the boys and girls trying to put food on the table!

Social dance instruction is often a scam. Though in the US, it can function as safe social club. You pay your money, and you are exposed to others who can pay and value the experience enough to pay, and who are likely to be considerate of your feelings.

Most cities also have more informal dance groups, that emphasize one or another type of dancing- swing, zydeco, salsa, whatever, and offer some relatively inexpensive a la carte lessons. They also frequently stage dances- often several times a week- so that one doesn’t have to be comfortable in a nightclub atmosphere to enjoy the dancing. It is also quite a bit cheaper than clubs.

But I am mostly unimpressed with the skills and the teaching ability of the "teachers". The average music teacher that one might find for an instrument or voice is 500% better trained musically and pedagogically than the usual social dance teacher. An exception seems to be Argentine tango teachers. Most of these people around here anyway are really good, both as very musical and attractive dancers, and as teachers. Even the Americans mostly go to Argentina frequently to better their skills. It is a very attractive dance, not yet as infected with the huge emphasis on contests and competitions that ballroom and some other dance styles are. IMO, most of these events are to drum up business for teachers, and to establish a pecking order for teachers, and to make people feel inadequate to just go out and dance.

Serious dance like modern, jazz, tap is a whole different story. There are so many really good teachers and dancers in this area. But it is sure physically taxing and coordination demanding!

Ha