Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Downloaded and ran saluto, used it to improve boot time by 30secs. Then deleted it. It extended boot time by about 20 secs, and hated the the "peeling wallpaper" effect.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When I reinstalled, I made drive images that I could later come back to. But it turns out that doesn't help that much, since I often add or remove apps, or change settings. IOW, it would be a big bother to restore back to an earlier state.
Why not make images routinely? Then you always have a recent snapshot of your apps/settings/configs.

I do it, and rotate between two different external drives, so I have a backup-backup. I'd try to do it every month or so, or after I made some big changes. And I'd get a subset of data backed up more often, sometimes just to a flash drive.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why not make images routinely? Then you always have a recent snapshot of your apps/settings/configs.

I do it, and rotate between two different external drives, so I have a backup-backup. I'd try to do it every month or so, or after I made some big changes. And I'd get a subset of data backed up more often, sometimes just to a flash drive.
I, also, have a rotating schedule for my Desktop Vista Ultimate machine -- every Sunday I make a backup with Retrospect; rotating between two external hard drives. However, in addition, I use the built-in Windows Backup to make a copy of all changed files every night and weekly (Thursday) an image is made with True Image to another external HD.

The two laptops are backed up by an Image with True Image when we are in Denver (access to home Network).

The other Desktop -- Windows XP -- simply relies on Norton GoBack which keeps a constant image that can be restored from at any moment.

Soluto, BTW, is not designed to act as a backup device.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

For me, the purpose of the drive image is for convenience if I have to restore the entire system. It also allows me to eliminate much of the stuff that accumulates and slows down the system.

Backing up my data is done every Friday. On alternate Fridays I back up to a zip file -- this requires only two mouse clicks. The other Fridays I back up My Documents to a DVD. I make sure that my My Document folder never gets too big to fit on one DVD. My iTunes files are stored and backed up separately.

Thus I can go back to any two-week period in the last six years or so.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I went with an online backup service last year. $48 a year. We have close to 12,000 digital pictures of our travels since 2005. Priceless to us......
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using this guy's website for years to locate, identify, then eliminate various useless or unnecessary applications from launching at start up. This is a great thread with lots of useful info. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

It seemed like Linux for non-server uses was dying off fairly quickly due to XP's success. Then came Vista. Vista may have been Ubuntu's best friend.
I recently started returning to Linux, after about 10 years on Windows for my home PCs. I was amazed at how easy it was to install Ubuntu on my daughter's Dell D430 laptop after a virus trashed it. It was up and running in far less time than the average Windows update. And it sniffed out all the wireless stuff, the printers, and it just worked! And that included installing the full office suite. My daughter loves it, especially since the killer malware is now a non-issue. The included application that links to a lot of pretty nice, pre- tested and certified, and FREE software downloads is also a big plus.
Perhaps it's the honeymoon phase, but I must say I'm very impressed with the improvements in the ease of installation for Linux. And the price is certainly right (zero) for the skinflint segment of ERs.
willywonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

now wait a minute...I don't wear suspenders.
willywonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #50

I have been using Ubuntu on my netbook, dual boot, with Xp for about a year. I boot in to Ubuntu about 95% of the time. I run Windows 7 on my main desktop, because it came with it, and it has been very stable.

I would recommend Ubuntu to anyone having to re-install an operating system. Another thing I like about it, is I can make a backup of the entire system is about 30 min, and it will fit on a DVD, and can be re-installed from that DVD.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I would recommend Ubuntu to anyone having to re-install an operating system. Another thing I like about it, is I can make a backup of the entire system is about 30 min, and it will fit on a DVD, and can be re-installed from that DVD.

What are you using for back up? So far I've been pretty happy with Ubuntu running as my main machine now for about a month (used Ubuntu on an ASUS netbook occasionally for a year before that).

I was spoiled by the Mac OSX ability to make bootable clones, no reinstall or mucking around required - just copy, reboot, hold the option key and choose the system you want to boot into. Great way to test your backup.

Anyway, I've come to realize that the boot process in other OS's is just different and I won't get that capability, but I'm looking to come close, but I have to learn a bit more first. What I'm hoping to do is have a bootable installation on an external USB HD (got that done), and then keep it 'synced' to my main system, but w/o changing any of the boot parameters. My poor brain is in overload with GRUB2, MBR, UUID, fstab, and grub.cfg information.

But until I figure that out, I'm looking for solutions to at least get my data, or my /home partition backed up efficiently. And yes, w/o my pics/music, my home and root are only ~ 4GB each.

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #52

I am using Remastersys. Free, as just about everything is with Ubuntu. So far it has worked perfect for me. I have made 4 backups so far and each seems to work fine. I makes a complete backup to DVD, if you have not expanded Ubuntu too much, and the DVD will boot and run from DVD so you can test it.

Now I create the ISO, and copy it to a hard drive. I don't create the DVD anymore, as it has proven itself. It is a little risk, and I figure I will create the ISO once a year or so. I use Ubuntu mostly for web work, and therefore I do not add much to the basic installation.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am using Remastersys. Free, as just about everything is with Ubuntu. So far it has worked perfect for me. ... the DVD will boot and run from DVD so you can test it.
Thanks, the boot ability is exactly what I was looking for. I had come across references to Remastersys, but there are so many packages and so many opinions on so many tools it is hard to sort it out. I'll dig into that one and give it a try.

One of these days I might start a Poll - "Do you tweak your computer settings?". I do a fair amount of customization to get things the way I like them, that is why I want to clone my entire setup. Sure, having the data is important, but I end up dong these tweaks here and there as I come across them. And once I do them I tend to forget about it, so re-setting everything can be a real pain.

DW OTOH, pretty much uses hers as it came out of the box. Not much to do if I did need to reinstall her OS.

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #54

I don't tweak Windows 7 much, mostly the FireFox browser. However, Linux is a different dog. I am always playing with something there. I think it is because it is so easy to pop in the DVD and be back to where I started. I reinstalled Windows XP and it took about 4 hours before I had everything back. I routinely redo Ubuntu and I think it is less than 30 min. It is so short I just never bothered to time it.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #55

To clone MS OS's try these two:
Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
DriveImage XML Backup Software - Data Recovery Product

Both are free
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #56

I have used both of those, the problem is testing the backup. In testing the backup it writes over the existing system. If the backup is flawed, then your original is gone and the backup is gone. Also with DriveImage you have to have the same size partition or possibly larger, I am sure about the same size, or it will not install. But, still, both of these are good backup solutions.

Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008 is also a good backup program, similar to DriveImage, yet it lets you make a bootable CD/DVD. I think you can test the backup, and look at individual files, like DriveImage, however, once you start your install all bets are off.

With RemasterSys, you make a bootable DVD that comes up and running the same system you will install. If it boots and runs then your are pretty sure it will install. But, hey, there are no guarantees.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Acronis works for me. I do monthly full disk image backup to an external HD. I've occasionally done a disk re-image, it took about 30 min.. Acronis advertises you can work with individual files while a re-image is in progress, but I've not used it. I did burn the disk image to dvd instead of HD and then tried re-imaging, but after 1 hour I gave up and used the HD to re-image. So at least in my situation, a dvd is useless.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..., the problem is testing the backup. In testing the backup it writes over the existing system. If the backup is flawed, then your original is gone and the backup is gone.
I'm amazed at how many people don't 'get' that.

I tell people, if you haven't tested your back up, you should assume it doesn't work, and you are just going through the motions.

-ERD50