Foreign films

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
My wife and I have been on this foreign film craze lately... know of a good one? Recommend it!

I've got a few suggestions right off:

1) Please Vote For Me (Mandarin Chinese)
Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases

Really a documentary, with some great insight into the lives of three families in China who's children are running for class monitor. It has an uncanny parallel to real elections in the West... bribery, vote rigging, intimidation, financial backing, etc.

2) Let The Right One In (Swedish)

Something about the setting of quiet cold snow pack and the weird childish angles to their relationship make this a rare modern vampire movie that absolutely works. Lord of the Flies meets Dracula.

3) Children of Heaven (Farsi)

I'm not sure how to describe this without making it sound really, really cliche but dammit it's a good film man. Poor kid, lost shoes, challenges, tears, triumph. If you enjoy movies like Kite Runner and Slumdog you'll like it.

I'll have to think about this topic some more, but I saw this one in an enhanced re-release a couple of years ago and loved it. AFAIK, it is not out on DVD but Godard is made for the big screen.

2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle (1967)

Several people in my film class also went to see it and all hated it.

"Two or Three Things I Know About Her." The her referred to is both the female lead and the City of Paris in transition. After a few minutes, I almost fell off my chair because, technically it is so interesting; among other things, Godard "matched" literally every scene on the colors blue, yellow and orange. Ah, Paris, in the '60s.

P.S. I saw "Children of Heaven" on computer screen. Even with that small screen it is visually memorable.

I'm seeing some good taste in film here. I'm a bit of a cinephile myself.

Sorry, can't be bothered with links, but here's a few off the top of my head.

Blind Shaft, The World, Seventeen Years, Mabarosi, Nobody Knows, Bolivia, La Cienega, La Promesse, Red Lights, Springtime in a Small Town (either version), Vengeance Is Mine, Ballad of Narayama (either version), Onibaba, Ugetsu, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, Horse Thief, Good Men, Good Women, Yi Yi, and I can name about five hundred other films I love but I'd better stop now!

Tom

Sheesh this has created some work, now I have to go look up all those recommendations and queue 'em up.

Thanks guys! :greetings10:

We like anything by the late Polish director Krzysztov Kieslowski (Red, White, Blue, The Decalogue). Gorgeous cinematography, fine acting.

Someone mentioned Ugetsu. Excellent, if weird.

A German film, The Lives of Others. Excellent acting and the story is a testament to the strength of the individual spirit.

"Maria Full of Grace" was excellent. And then there's the best movie I have ever seen, "Seven Samurai".

Coach

Coach, kudos for your mention of Seven Samurai. A classic American western, in Japanese. As you probably know, Kurosawa was a great admirer of the American director John Ford.

High and Low, Hidden Fortress, The Bad Sleep Well...help, someone stop me! I love good films.

Threads like this make me appreciate how easy we have it with services like netflix.

Not ten years ago I would have had to write all these down and wander around brick&mortar shops hoping to get lucky finding them in some tiny foreign film section, or else order them from Amazon.

Now just queue 'em up, by the time they arrive I probably won't even remember why/who gave the recommendation but I'll get to see a great flick.

And to think I thought the flat tire indicator on my wife's car was progress...

I'll have to think about this topic some more, but I saw this one in an enhanced re-release a couple of years ago and loved it. AFAIK, it is not out on DVD but Godard is made for the big screen.

2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle (1967)

Several people in my film class also went to see it and all hated it.
P.S. I saw "Children of Heaven" on computer screen. Even with that small screen it is visually memorable.

The 1945 French movie dir. by Marcel Carné? Wonderful movie. I saw it at a film society. If you like that, you will also love L' Atalante, dir by Jean Vigo 1934. Magnificent movie!

Ha

I would highly recommend two very sweet French films: My Father's Glory and My Mother's Castle. Also the Italian film, Cinema Paradiso, and a Czech film, The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I am afraid my tastes in foreign films are a bit more lowbrow. While "M" and "Seven Samurai" are my favorite foreign classics, I spend more time watching "Godzilla" (and other kaiju) films.

I would suggest
Run Lola Run
Amelie
Goodbye Lenin

Back
Top Bottom