Join Early Retirement Today

Re: forgery
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi John! Texas was behind, as it was one of the last frontier areas. And with the urban frontier crime problem all over the US, Texas is probably ahead now.

I am reminded of an incident in the past year... A man and his wife are out having lunch on a weekend afternoon in the big city. In an ok area. They return to their pickup, which is parked on the top level of a parking garage. Surrounding office buildings tower over the couple of floors parking garage. As they walk to their truck, a man approaches them and asks them a question. Something innocuous. Before they can answer, he pulls out a knife. And he ain't acting friendly, either! It doesn't look good for the man and his wife. There is nobody to help them. No white knight riding in to save the day. Trying to keep his wife behind him, he backs up and tries to work his way over to the front of the truck bed. The man suddenly lunges over the bed, breaks out the back window of his truck, as the creep lunges to stab him. The man reaches through the broken glass, and comes up with a pistol. Just as the creep is on him. Two shots, just in time. The man protected himself and his wife. No one else could have done it for them.

Jumping to the other end of the spectrum, there is the Killeen massacre. Where 22 innocent people eating at a Luby's cafeteria were systematically executed, one by one, before the police arrived. A lady who became one of the survivors watched her Grandfather be killed. A window was broken and some people slipped out of the restaurant . Her Grandmother would not leave her dying husband behind. Her Grandmother was then executed. Before very many people had been shot, the lady had reached for her purse, where she usually kept a .38 (illegally carried at that time). But as bad luck would have it, she didn't have the gun in her purse then. It was out in the car in the parking lot.
Any one person having a gun with them, and being willing and able to use it, would have ended the massacre early. But no one did. This event, and her testimony, caused the legislature to pass the concealed carry law. Which has rules and regulations, and a big responsibility burden on the carrier.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #42

Hmmm, these remind me of this other story on how guns can be used too:

Japanese exchange student Yoshi Hattori was shot by Rodney Peairs on October 17, 1992. Dressed as John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever, Hattori and a white friend were on their way to a Halloween party when they mistakenly walked up to Peairs' house. Peairs shot Hattori dead in the driveway of his house.

And of course the stats on gun deaths in the US aren't a pretty site and the general homicide rate is over twice what it is in the next worst of the industrialized world. It's a culture that glorifies violence and revels in killing. It doesn't surprise me that there is a significant number of Americans amongst any group (including early retirees or those who plan to) that essentially lusts after the machinery of death.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:13 AM   #43

Holy cow Hyperborea! (BTW, site is spelled "sight").

Listing one accidental killing proves nothing. As far as accidental death,
"gun death" is way below a plethora of other causes.
And, any stats about gun use/deaths/ownership
and lusting after "machinery of death" fails to take into account that the USA (still) has more firearm freedom than almost any "industrialized country". You can't win this duel, so back off partner. (If you were just kidding
you should have added a smiley face )

John Galt (and still packin' heat )
Old 09-21-2004, 04:35 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

You just dropped 40 IQ points John. :
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #45

That's okay Zipper. At my level they are superfluous

John Galt
Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 AM   #46

Good morning

I come down on the pro gun side for the most part but those who carry or have guns should know how and when to use them and be mentally stable. Rodney Peairs should not have been allowed to have a gun. If this takes government interference and I have to pass a mental and security check to obtain one then so be it. Canada is way too tight with guns thoough and it never stopped a criminal type from getting one if they wanted.

Statistic after statistic can be manipulated to prove one side or the other and in the end mean nothing.

I think criminal type people are more afraid of dogs than guns. Consequently my St Bernard sits on my porch. Actually my rooster is more dangerous than the dog, The rooster will tear your legs up with his spurs if he takes a dislike to you.

Bruce
Old 09-21-2004, 06:13 AM   #47

We are talking about walking around carrying a concealed handgun Bruce. That is not legal in Ontario or any other province in Canada.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #48

This is for Zipper and Hyperborea and anyone who is interested. I am in favor of private ownership of just
about any kind of weapon other than WMDs.
See, none of this stuff will hurt anyone
unless a bad or careless person has it. If someone
is bad or careless, they can hurt you any number of ways. It makes no sense to me to disarm innocent
people, nor to question why they wish to possess
a particular weapon. As long as they don't hurt anyone,
then leave them alone.

John Galt
Old 09-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #49

Sure, why not give everyone a button that when pressed will kill everyone around them to a radius of 10 feet. If everyone's careful then what's the problem? Right?

"Peace, order, and good government" sounds a whole lot better to me than "yahoos with guns playing in the woods at taking over the country to turn it into some sort of right wing racist paradise".

Oh and thanks for using the important debating tactic of pointing out spelling mistakes. It's usually the one just before the ad hominem attacks start.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #50

You can't really have a debate if facts don't count.
Or if you can, I am not interested in participating.

John Galt
Old 09-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #51

Quote:
You can't really have a debate if facts don't count.
Exactly my point from before where your answer was to point out spelling. *If you would like to talk about facts then please give some. Or would rather play at being a spell-checker?

How about the general US homicide rate. *Why is it double that of the next worst industrial country?

If gun control isn't useful then how come the gun death rate in Japan is less than that in a small US city?

In the US the "yahoos playing in the woods with guns at overthrowing the government" do exist and it is claimed by the gun nut lobby group that this is the prime reason to own a gun.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #52

Sorry Hyperborea. Although I have answers for ALL
of the questions in your last post, I sense you are not in a mood to listen, and I have other things to do.

Elvis has left the building

John Galt
Old 09-21-2004, 04:48 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First partisan politics and now gun control.

Great thread!

I've typed up about 10 full length responses, and then deleted them. So far thats kept me out of trouble.

You see, the problem is that regardless of the facts in evidence, or lack thereof, people already have their minds made up about these issues and nothings going to change that. We all have our filters and redirectors and every single fact going against that will still be overridden by what we "know to be true".

I will make some quick points though...

Our current president is a nice fella that has trouble reading his prepared speeches, and most certainly isnt running this country. I dont need documents or testimony to know that he used leverage to avoid doing something he's already sent a lot of other people to go do. Do you really believe that he was just the next guy in line for the "champagne" ANG unit out of hundreds of thousands of applicants, and that nobody can find his service records to show where he was or wasnt? Oh please.

Afghanistan? We didnt bomb those f---ers enough as far as I'm concerned. Iraq? We had and have bigger problems to address and what we did there, mark my words, we'll regret for a long time. We'll walk away after we're tired of getting our nose bloodied and that country will end a period of civil war by becoming a duplicate of Iran, if they dont simply merge in with Iran directly. Then we'll have an extra large, nuclear capable, muslim extremist state right on the border of Saudi Arabia and Israel. World War III anyone? And one where tactical nukes may actually get used? This is why we've inexplicably left Hussein in charge all these years. He kept the extremists under his thumb and maintained order in a country that consists of a dozen different sects that havent gotten along for millenia and arent going to get along going forward. Show them democracy and turn the other cheek? They'll gut you without a moments hesitation.

The guy who IS actually running the country has a propensity for saying things and then later claiming he didnt. This is what we in sales used to call "A Lie". These arent lies about blowjobs and whether he inhaled his marijuana, these are lies that end up causing people to lose their lives and create political instabilities that may plague us for decades. So lets quit with the Clinton comparisons. Not to mention Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar. George thinks thats somebody that knows a lot about highways.

One of the other guys in charge has already gutted our bill of rights so badly I hope to god nobody here has the bad sense to try to express any of those rights under the mistaken impression that you still have them. Or that if your rights are impugned that you will have any recourse whatsoever. Ben Franklin said that those who try to exchange their freedom for security will have neither. We have neither. But what do you expect to get from a guy who is offended by a statues breast and who once lost an election to a dead man?

Another guy was supposed to bring together our law enforcement and intelligence gathering services to really put a dent in terrorism. A few billion dollars later, we have some color coded warnings, duct tape and plastic sheeting recommendations, and he goes on tv once every few months to tell us to worry more about terrorism, but he cant say why or what we should do about it. But not a damn inch of movement that will really help us find and stop terrorists.

Unfortunately their chief political rival is a hot air bag politician that I wouldnt leave in charge of my car keys while I was in a restaurant.

As far as guns and gun control, the chief argument for guns appears to involve presuming most people are reasonable and act with good intent. Oh give me one big fat break. I wouldnt trust most people with a sharp stick. In fact, I know a whole heck of a lot of people. I find a direct correlation between how many guns somebody owns and how looney they are. However, sweeping opinions and feelings aside, in countries where they've implemented gun control, gun deaths drop to nearly zero and rates of violent crimes decline dramatically. Which either means people like the Brits cant hit the broad side of a barn if they're in it with the door shut, or gun control does reduce crime.

All this is from a staunch conservative thats voted republican most of his life and thinks most of the guys he elected like Reagan and Bush Sr. were a little too liberal. So dont try calling me a liberal. I'm a conservative, just one that really reads the facts and listens to reason.

This time its not about minor issues or who believes what. These f---ers are doing stuff thats good for them and not us, saying stuff that isnt true, and then lying to our faces under the presumption we're either too stupid to know the difference, or that we're pussies and wont call them on it.

So far they're mostly right.

This fall I plan to vote "None of the above" until some actual leadership shows up, and I frankly dont give a **** what party they belong to or what set of 'beliefs' they want me to think they adhere to.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #54

That was f*cking brilliant TH! You ARE the man!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #55

TH, That was very well thought out and presented....I am going away to think for a while..

Zipper, thanks I did get that

Goodnight All

Bruce
Old 09-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #56

"This fall I plan to vote "None of the above" until some actual leadership shows up"

Since you don't like Bush or Kerry or anyone else running for President and you don't like the way the government is being run, what are you doing to fix the problem?

In the short time I worked for a company, I would never criticise the management unless I could provide a viable solution. I tell my own employees not to complain to me about my business unless they have an answer to their own complaint. They tell me they get headaches and eye strain because they can't read small fonts on their monitors, they ask for and I get them larger monitors. They tell me production is slow because the the printers only print 4 pages a minute, they ask for and I buy them printers that print 16 pages a minute. They tell me chargeable hours are low because they waste too much time on the worst 10% of the clients, they ask me to and I get rid of those clients.

I hate hearing complaints if there are no clear answers or if the complainer is not willing to fix the problem himself. Another example...last year I kept asking the principal at my child's school to clean all the leaves in the small playground since the kids were slipping on the wet leaves and it made the new school look trashy. Nothing got done for 2 weeks, so on a Sunday morning I got my leaf blower out of my garage , went to the playground, cleaned it up in an hour and a half and to this day nobody knows who cleaned the playground.

If you can give me good practical solutions to all the problems in this country, I will write you in for President in November.
beating the dead horse
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 PM   #57

beating the dead horse

The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from one generation to the next, says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

However, in REHP discussion boards, because of the heavy time investment factors to be taken into consideration, other strategies often have to be tried with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.
2. Changing riders.
3. Threatening the horse with termination.
4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
6. Lowering standards so dead horses can be included.
7. Appointing an intervention team to reanimate the dead horse.
8. Creating a training session to increase the riders load share.
9. Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.
10. Changing the form so that it reads: "This horse is not dead."
11. Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.
13. Donating the dead horse to a recognized charity, thereby deducting its full original cost.
14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
15. Doing a time management study to see if the lighter riders would improve productivity.
16. Purchasing an after-market product to make dead horses run faster.
17. Declaring that a dead horse has lower overhead and therefore performs better.
18. Forming a quality focus group to find profitable uses for dead horses.
19. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for horses.
20. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #58

Quote:
I tell my own employees not to complain to me about my business unless they have an answer to their own complaint
Maybe a mere worker isn't in a position to have an answer b ut IS in a position to see a problem which he gladly flags to The Boss.

And by the way... The BOSS is supposed to solve the f***ng problems. Just what else does the boss expect from the workers anyway? They do the work AND now they have to solve all the problmes TOO?! Fire that Boss. He's a drone. A corpse. Probably has pointy goddamned hair too.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Since you don't like Bush or Kerry or anyone else running for President and you don't like the way the government is being run, what are you doing to fix the problem?
Instead of simply asking what someone would do in this situation, I always expect them to present me with an extensive list of possible courses of action. Otherwise they are just contributing to the problem.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:23 AM   #60

Re. "fixing the problem"/ "contributing to the problem".
TH, that was a great post. One of your best! I feel no
"obligation" to solve the problems (except for my own), and most of mine are caused by other people. Some of you fine folks may be familiar with Ayn Rand's magnum opus 'Atlas Shrugged'. In it, John Galt (my fictional
namesake) decides he can't change the system, and that the
inmates have taken over the asylum, so he just opts not to participate. In time, society just implodes,
ODed on liberalism and feel-good legislation. At that
point, Galt and others (people with brains and talent)return to set up a new
system based on rugged individualism and every one
looking out for their own interests. Anyway, the difference between the original John Galt and me is that
I am never coming back.

John Galt