Forget Tiny Houses, here come Micro Houses

The idea of the water pipes will be good for hikers and campers in the woods.

For a home less person might seem like a Holiday In.

Looks like they [-]stole[/-] drew inspiration from the aquarium hobby. These are exactly the kind of housing used if you want to keep multiple crawfish or aggressive fish in an aquarium. Of course they're made of PVC and not concrete though.

example here

I wonder how many people stick with tiny/micro houses after the novelty wears off and they find that being restricted to a couple hundred or less sq ft really does suck.

Not if you do not have any choice.

I take up to 2-month trips in my 25'x8' motorhome, and it is OK. Living full-time in one is another matter. Just 2 person, no pets, and it is cramped.

I wonder how many people stick with tiny/micro houses after the novelty wears off and they find that being restricted to a couple hundred or less sq ft really does suck.

It depends on what your alternatives are I suppose. If the alternatives are one of those cages in Hong Kong or under a bridge I'd think it'd seem like pure luxury.

I'm thinking of the ones who have a choice. They watch HGTV and think it's inexpensive and cool and want to try it. I'm sure a few stick with it, but a year later it's likely that a good many of them had enough of being cramped.

I take up to 2-month trips in my 25'x8' motorhome, and it is OK. Living full-time in one is another matter. Just 2 person, no pets, and it is cramped.

In 2011 DW and I spent about 7 months in a pop-up camper, less than 100 sq ft. If we got claustrophobic, we just stepped out of the door and sat in a chair under the awning and stared off into whatever wonderful natural area we were camping in at the time. Mountains, giant trees, amazing pristine landscapes. DW still talks fondly of it. I can see us spending our 'golden years' in someplace like that, not necessarily in the U.S.

A house like that in the upper Midwest/Northern small town America would be 20 to 50 thousand dollars. I have seen beautiful homes go for hardly nothing in small towns.

Actually this shows how far housing has come since before WWII. Levittown houses were about 1000 sq ft which was the average sized house built in 1950. So the Austin house shown was about average for the time it was built. (Note the effecitive size of the house depends on where it was built, as where basements exist if heat was provided in the basement the usable square footage could be increased) My folks built a house in 1955 that the main floor was 1200 sq ft but you could add about 800 sq foot of usable basement space (not including the area where the wringer washer and furnace were)

Having lived in a 1985 motor home full time since 2014, I am quite comfortable with a small space. It would probably be harder with two people. I do miss having a dish washer...

A friend down the road is completing a tiny home. 40' x 8'. That will likely be his home for the rest of his life. It is an upgrade from the 24' trailer he still has and will use for guests. That is about all he can afford, so for him, he is very happy with his new place. It sits on 5 acres with great views, so that helps a bunch.

Actually this shows how far housing has come since before WWII. Levittown houses were about 1000 sq ft which was the average sized house built in 1950.

The first house we purchased was 1160SF, 4BR/2BA, built in 1953.

We never could figure out what to do with all the bed rooms. :facepalm:

PS: It’s now valued @ $567k on Zillow.
PPS: We sold it long ago...darn it!

Last edited:
Submarine duty is usually 3 to 6 months and hot bunking. But there is no rent and the food is good.

That setup looks positively capacious to this old submariner.

In 2011 DW and I spent about 7 months in a pop-up camper, less than 100 sq ft. If we got claustrophobic, we just stepped out of the door and sat in a chair under the awning and stared off into whatever wonderful natural area we were camping in at the time. Mountains, giant trees, amazing pristine landscapes. DW still talks fondly of it. I can see us spending our 'golden years' in someplace like that, not necessarily in the U.S.

I did follow your blog. ;) But near the end, your writing dropped off, then you ended up in Mexico.

It's OK. Not many bloggers keep it up for long. Also not too many can live forever in an RV, even if it's a 5-th wheel or a class A. Many bloggers I read suddenly stopped, sold their RV and settled back down in a home. And they signed off their blog for good.

The Denver area has a rolling housing shortage, especially because some of the rather stupid laws on the books effectively kill off condo construction. Housing prices are well short of places like the bay area, but they have risen enough that affordability for mere mortals is stretched. Some do gooders set up a tiny house homeless [-]encampment[/-] shelter that has eked out 6 months without becoming the nasty, lawless ghetto it will probably end up becoming. I already told DW that if Amazon decides to come to Denver we will start making scouting trips to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho..

I did follow your blog. ;) But near the end, your writing dropped off, then you ended up in Mexico.

It's OK. Not many bloggers keep it up for long. Also not too many can live forever in an RV, even if it's a 5-th wheel or a class A. Many bloggers I read suddenly stopped, sold their RV and settled back down in a home. And they signed off their blog for good.

Most of the updates since then are on a FB group - scroll to the bottom of the blog page, click on the big Facebook f - will take you to the group.

I'm in the process of shifting the blog to a different CMS, hope to have it updated soon!

I lived in Hong Kong and San Francisco, both super expensive. Hong Kong is much more crowded. Most families live in small apartments, do what is needed to survive.

Back
Top Bottom