Former MSFT employee & IE coder switches to FireFox

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
One of Scott Berkun's blog entries explains why he switched to FireFox. 

After working with & leading development teams on Internet Explorer 1.0-->5.0 you can imagine that he has a few opinions on the subject...

Nords said:
After working with & leading development teams on Internet Explorer 1.0-->5.0 you can imagine that he hs a few opinions on the subject...

IE 1.0-5.0 was pretty bad. I used netscape through most of those versions, but post-5.0, IE became Good Enough. I use both IE and mozilla now. They are both extremely bloated, but if you have enough RAM and horsepower, they work OK.

A firefox user 100% of the time unless I want to do something with my bank, as up until recently they didnt support anything other than IE or safari. Vanguard regularly does weird things with their web site that dont work on firefox until a week or two later.

Tabbed browsing is the best thing since unsliced bread.

() said:
Tabbed browsing is the best thing since unsliced bread.

I rarely use tabs.   If you have two high-rez displays, multiple windows make more sense.   In any case, I'm glad there's more than one vendor.

My son, a software engineer for IBM, clued me in to Firefox about a year ago when I was having problems with spyware and trojans using IE. Now I'm also 100% Firefox. I have not had any problems using Vanguard's web site with Firefox.

Grumpy

The process of buying or exchanging funds didnt work for about a month after they made a major change about a year ago, and any Flash content didnt work for about 5-6 weeks after the most recent change a few months ago...just kept telling you that you needed to upgrade to the latest version of flash. Mostly cosmetic stuff though.

Firefox tabbing a time saver. One click brings up 9 tabbed accounts each morning...sign-on one after another. ..come back to start and review one after another.

I have been using netscape for many years. I am currently on 7.x. I would love to use firefox but the last time I tried it, it didn't have the form manager.

Back
Top Bottom