Join Early Retirement Today

found mom's 1st savings deposit book
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

found mom's 1st savings deposit book

on october 5th of 1938 mom deposited $1.

with a quarter here & a dollar there, by december mom already had 4 bucks collecting interest. at 3% inflation that's $30.75 in today's dollars just on the principal, not bad for a 6-year-old.

mom loved to make money. her favorite job in the office was collecting on bills. she considered that work a challenge and the reward her due. she even loved making money from when she was a child. instead of heading off to hebrew school after regular classes like her parents had instructed, she got herself a part-time job and skipped the extra schooling so she could work and make money.

i still remember mom bringing me to the bank when i was a little kid to open my first savings account. but as i was not diligent in my life about the task, i do not still have my first deposit book. unlike mom, i never did like work. i never cared for making money. but at least the smallest bit of mom's good financial sense rubbed off on me that i grew up responsible about money and have been only rarely wasteful of it.

i think it is a wonderful tribute to her respect of currency that although mom most certainly spent her first dollar, she kept a record of it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #2

ooops. sorry for the double entry (see, i never was good at balancing the books).

moderators please delete. thanx.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
gone traveling

Lazy the old building on the corner of springfield and bergan is still there.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the memories, Lazy. Sad to think why you might have access to that neat passbook.

It brings back assorted memories. I had a similar book started in the early ‘50s; around 1985 I contacted the bank to claim the small remaining balance and visualized them pulling it out of State funds or some such.

My parents moved to Newark around 1940 where they lived in a fifth floor walk-up Broad Street until my dad was drafted in 1945. My dad worked as a photographer on assignment for newspapers in New York. I think it was the happiest time of their lives.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, some of those bank managers had pretty tough names.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Wow that's really neat! Aaah the days of the passbook savings account.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Wow, some of those bank managers had pretty tough names.
ya, and i noticed none of them are jewish.

thanx newguy, i was wondering about that. i googled the bank and found some references. also pics of it in historical society records but didn't know if it was still there.

mom lived in hillside, near newark. as the handwriting in the book looks like mom's, more legible than later in life but still recognizable, i wonder if she didn't make these deposits personally even at such a very young age. or more likely maybe my grandfather took her to the bank. mom's mother was manic-depressive and so mom was often in charge of her little brother and of taking care of the family from a very young age. i know from another cousin (mom's best friend growing up) that by the time they were 10 or 12 they were going into even new york city by themselves. i don't think i was sneaking off there until i was at least 13 or 14. must have been a different world then.

thanx cuppajoe, i have all of mom's things now. hadn't even thought of checking to see if the funds are still there. don't think the bank is in existence. would the state be keeping this in an interest bearing account? i actually found florida had a few hundred bucks for me in their account. don't know how it got there but it was from my x-employer. weird.

ya outtahere, that was way before the internet.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
gone traveling

Lazy

did you also grow up in NJ?

Or had she moved before you were born?

The bank is one solid building. It was a Howard savings bank up until the mid 1980s then the bank was sold. I believe it is a Bank of america bank as of today.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #9

I looved the names!! Frankland! Wynant! Waldon! Archibald! C. Weston!

I don't see why a Vanderpool or a Frelinghuysen couldn't be Jewish.. Plus about 1/2 the Jewish folks I have known have changed or shortened family names: Miller, Jackson. Berez, etc.

Here ya go:
Quote:
Rep. Frelinghuysen served in the U.S. Army in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam in the 93rd Engineering Battalion (Const.). ... He is a Member of the American Legion Post 59, Morristown, NJ, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 3401, Morris Plains, NJ, and a patron Member of the Jewish War Veterans of the U.S., Post 213. Rodney Frelinghuysen and his wife, Virginia, reside in Harding, New Jersey, with their two children.
Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen

Hope you feel better now!!!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #10

newguy, i was raised in bergen county nj, st croix usvi & south florida. three different high schools. i associate now with grads from new jersey high school because i was with them from the playground up. we have a 50th birthday party reunion in new york this september. will be very fun.

ladelfina, ah, i see you googled the words frelinghuysen and jewish. my sarcasm stands corrected but my suspicion that everyone's a wise-guy remains assured. :P