Frazzled checkers at Wall Mart

Walmart's slogan starting out was "American Made Matters" - try finding something made in America today that is sold there.

That's a good point. I had Cracker Barrel the other day for lunch and while waiting to be seated, checked out the gift shop. It was very difficult to find ANYTHING that was made in America. Even the Americana stuff was made in China. :mad:

There was interest in the Robinhood account. I used these account to purchase INTC today. If the money is in the account the order will post on that day's batch. You can invest as little as $10 or as much as $10K per stock, per trading day with no fees.

https://www.loyal3.com/stocks

People say using batch you get a bad price, I all ways get a decent to great price.

Low of the day (so far) was $32.48 and I received $32.51.

03/09/2015 Intel one time buy order 215.3184 $32.51 ($7,000.00)

One of the big Chicago grocery chains pulled its self checkout machines a couple of years ago. Sometimes these incredible ideas aren't always cost-effective (machines have to be maintained, security has to be increased to watch the double secret surveillance videos, not to mention are they really going to risk apprehending the shoplifters and endangering the staff and other shoppers vs paying a couple more part time checkout people for the busy hours?).

A company spokeswoman said loss prevention and a desire to improve customer service were factors in the decision.

Source: Jewel-Osco Ditches Self-Checkout in Some Stores | NBC Chicago

I will use a self checkout if no one else is using it in front of me, but a clerk would have my complete order rung up before I can scan my first item.

Most people here will remember many people were thrown when confronted with pumping their own gas. But that quickly changed, and now I suspect most drivers would be put off if they could NOT pump their own gas vs paying a higher price and waiting for an attendant (yep, looking at you New Jersey & Oregon - like the other 48 states are wrong :cool:).

Self-serve checkout/kiosks will grow to a critical mass too...

You were never frazzled on the job? Unfortunately we all see frazzled people/workers everywhere from time to time. It's not about [-]Wall Mart[/-] WalMart or "checkers." One data point...

The last year on the job , I think I was worse than Frazzled.

Great and lively discussion. It is a double edge sword. The last jobs of the jobs that can't be outsourced are being automatized. Next will be robots doing fast food jobs and you using a touch screen to place your order.

The newer Paneras down here in SWFL have Express Lane Kiosks where you can punch in your order on a touch screen and pay, then you take an electronic tracker to your table and they deliver the food to you. It works pretty well. You can personalize the order (no onions on the salad or whatever). When the regular lines are busy I'll use the kiosk, but otherwise I go to the cashier. I've noticed you can also place your order online and it will be ready when you get there, both for carry out and eating in.

I am surprised they do not have this option at the produce section... where we shop there are a number of scales.... you put the produce on the scale and input the 4 digit number of the item... then hit print and you have your scan code... does not slow down at the registers...
Some of the stores around here do that. The only one I can remember for sure is the Wegman's.

I do not shop. I delegated that 100% to Mr B because he despises doing house cleaning.
I keep the house clean. Pretty slick huh ? >:D

I boycott WallyWorld because a) they do not treat their employees well, and b) have way too much NOT MADE IN AMERICA junk. Add to that the noise from screaming kids...:nonono:

I've convinced Mr B to also boycott WallyWorld. He goes to a local NY supermarket chain and Aldi's. Lots of Made In America stuff at both. Employees seem reasonably happy at both.

He actually enjoys shopping now, minus the WM nonsense. He's excellent at finding the best prices. "Hunter-gatherer" is my nickname for him when he goes shopping. :D

Maybe, but I notice that in most of the Walmarts I've been in, the self checkout aisles are usually quite empty.

That's because it takes effort to check yourself out and it's hard to do from a rascal scooter! But seriously, I don't shop at Walmart and I don't support their business practices. I have entered one only once and that was under duress as we needed something for camping in an out of the way place and there was no alternative. I can afford to vote with my feet and believe in helping to create the type of world you want to live in. Especially if you have the funds to do so! I do shop at Costco and believe their priorities are closer to mine and they still offer cost savings.

In a changing world, keeping perspective is the best way of coping with change.

As we look around our own little circle of awareness, it's hard to project where we might be a few years from now. Here's a great overview of the retailing world. What companies are growing, or declining, and lest we become too enamored of the US being the center of the universe... a comparison to the rest of the worlds' retail industry.
https://nrf.com/news/top-100-retailers

Going down the charts should evidence the direction of business overall, and produce a clear image of what we can expect in the future... how we shop, where we shop and which businesses will provide the right mix of quality and value.
Most busineses that were on the cutting edge 10 or 20 years ago, have become top heavy in size, management and concentration on the bottom line, without seeing the direction towards efficiency. Making major moves in big box operations is extremely costly. The economies of scale are under the microscope today, as flexibility is the new key to growth and profitability.

In the food business, if it were a publicly owned company, my money would be on Aldi. Smart people who are doing things right, and light years ahead of any other company.

Self checkouts are only a small part of the change. Aside the online businesses, watch for smaller stores, tighter inventories, and possibly a return of the "Service Merchandise" model that some of you may remember.

Prognostication - courtesy an old retail guy. :LOL:

Last edited:
Great and lively discussion. It is a double edge sword. The last jobs of the jobs that can't be outsourced are being automatized. Next will be robots doing fast food jobs and you using a touch screen to place your order.

They used to have something like that before robots called the Automat.

They used to have something like that before robots called the Automat.

Growing up in NYC, I loved Automats. The coin slots just took nickels, and there was a cashier in the middle of the place who would give you change in nickels so you could use it. My favorite was a hot dish of baked beans with a frankfurter in it. The original fast food restaurant.

I use Walmarts self checkout regurlarly and it's not exactly the smoothest operation around. The clerk who works in that section is very busy helping out customers. It's rare that I don't need the clerk to come over at least once during a checkout to clear up an error message, usually the sensor that checks if items are placed in the bagging area messes up.

I use Walmarts self checkout regurlarly and it's not exactly the smoothest operation around. The clerk who works in that section is very busy helping out customers. It's rare that I don't need the clerk to come over at least once during a checkout to clear up an error message, usually the sensor that checks if items are placed in the bagging area messes up.

I use reusable grocery bags and every time I try to use the self checkout it say "object in bag area. Please remove". Last time I said, fairly loudly, "the object in the bag area is a F***ing bag dumba$$". Those things are a pain in the a$$. Since those were put in they significantly reduced the regular lanes so they are always several people deep. So either you wait 20 minutes to get to the checker or you use the self checkout which has way to many bugs to be out on the market. Shopping is one of my least favorite things to do.

I like to shop at Walmart, lot's of things at one place to save time. I shop most often at one in Keyser, WV and it's clean and usually has plenty of checkout lanes open. I use the self check lanes once in a while and haven't had an issue, must be a good manager for this store?

I use reusable grocery bags and every time I try to use the self checkout it say "object in bag area. Please remove". Last time I said, fairly loudly, "the object in the bag area is a F***ing bag dumba$$". Those things are a pain in the a$$. Since those were put in they significantly reduced the regular lanes so they are always several people deep. So either you wait 20 minutes to get to the checker or you use the self checkout which has way to many bugs to be out on the market. Shopping is one of my least favorite things to do.

Our Walmart has options on the self check screens for using your own bag, as well as not bagging particular items, like large and bulky ones. I use the self checkout lanes a lot because they are faster by far. I seldom (anymore) have any problems getting through the process. It's a bit of a learning curve, but unless there's a problem with a barcode or something I seldom need any help from the admittedly busy checkout person. If I get a "unexpected item in the bagging area" message I just remove the most recent item, toss it in the cart, and keep on trucking. I'm not sure whether there are a lot of Walmarts with different setups or if people don't read the screens very well, but I think the process has gotten a lot easier in the past few years, and will continue to improve.

I visualize the self check registers at WM about the same as when self pumping of your gasoline came into being years ago. People back then did not like to pump their own gasoline, but now it is commonplace.

I use reusable grocery bags and every time I try to use the self checkout it say "object in bag area. Please remove".
Unsolicited suggestions:
1) Put your bags up on the "out" rack before you scan your first item or do anything else. Maybe the scales will set a new "tare weight" each time a person begins the process of checking out.
2) Put your bags on the "out" rack at the same time you scan and "bag" a heavy item. I can't believe it would be able to tell the difference between a 5 lb bag of sugar and a the same 5 lbs with 3 ounces of cloth bags.

. . . I think the process has gotten a lot easier in the past few years, and will continue to improve.
Agreed. Home Depot used to be terrible--the self-checkout scanner could not read the tiny-format UPCs that are on some products (pipe fittings, etc). The employee monitoring things would see someone get frustrated after trying a few times, then step in and scan the item with her better scanner. Dumb. Now the self-checkout reads these labels just fine.

Back
Top Bottom