Frazzled checkers at Wall Mart

I'm a die-hard self-checker-outer, even at Walmart.
+1. Given the choice, I'll use self-checkout every time. Our local grocery store has instituted a 25 item max for self-checkout, I can live with that.

At stores that offer self-checkout, maybe people who insist on using (higher cost) clerk assisted checkout should pay a checkout fee? Wonder if that's gonna come next? :)

Last edited:
Best of both worlds. When we use the self checkout they assign a clerk to us since we have so many problems with the process.

At stores that offer self-checkout, maybe people who insist on using (higher cost) clerk assisted checkout should pay a checkout fee? Wonder if that's gonna come next? :)
Maybe we can skip the store completely and just net out the difference between consumers. Send me your address, I'll mail you a nickel. :)

I've never run into the "frazzled" checker, mostly the frazzled checkee. The one trying to use an invalid CC, can't figure out how to run the CC scanner, trying to root around in the bottom of a purse for exact change, waiting to the very last to even start filling out the paper check....

I use the self check everywhere it is available, walmart, kroger, homedepot, I usually only have a few items, I go when the walmart crowd is light and the self check is usually empty. And they do check for unscanned items, especially if it is not in a bag.

Maybe we can skip the store completely and just net out the difference between consumers. Send me your address, I'll mail you a nickel. :)

I think Jeff Bezos already had that idea! ;)

-ERD50

I never use the self check out:
(1) The cost of the human checker is built into the price of the goods you buy.
(2) Cost benefit, the store will install more self checkers, if more people self check out thus needing less workers.

Last edited:
I never use the self check out:
(2) Cost benefit, the store will install more self checkers, if more people self check out thus needing less workers.

Go to a Lowes....I use the self checkout in the store near us because you can't find a cashier (or another person to help you) within earshot of where you are standing.

Go to a Lowes....I use the self checkout in the store near us because you can't find a cashier (or another person to help you) within earshot of where you are standing.

Eventually all stores will be like that. Just trying to slow the migration, in my own little way. In the not too distance future your "device" will link to the cart or trolley and when you depart the store your credit card will be charged for your purchases. Either we are paying a little more to use a human now or we will be paying a lot more to support them on welfare or food stamps when innovation turns them into this century's horses.

However, if you received a discount for using the self checkers, I would be all over it. So yes I am a hypocrite. :greetings10:

Last edited:
... Either we are paying a little more to use a human now or we will be paying a lot more to support them on welfare or food stamps when innovation turns them into this century's horses. ...

Referencing my earlier post, explain to me why we don't have 70% unemployment as farm workers were displaced?

-ERD50

When we go to Stop and Shop, we get one of those had held scanners, ring up everything as we put it into the bags in out cart and then just can our card at the exit and all is rung up. I do not think it takes us more than 30 seconds at the register.

I am waiting for the day when every package has a NFC chip on it and when you walk out your whole cart is scanned and automatically charged to your credit card. No need to even go to a register.

Eventually all stores will be like that. Just trying to slow the migration, in my own little way. In the not too distance future your "device" will link to the cart or trolley and when you depart the store your credit card will be charged for your purchases. Either we are paying a little more to use a human now or we will be paying a lot more to support them on welfare or food stamps when innovation turns them into this century's horses.

However, if you received a discount for using the self checkers, I would be all over it. So yes I am a hypocrite. :greetings10:

I think it was about 10 years ago, same retailer ,Walmart , was absolutely serious about making suppliers put an rfid tag on every package. It didn't happen do to cost. IIRC they do have rfid on every pallet and readers on all over the place at distribution centers , not just for loss control , but to keep track of so much stuff in transit

Most of what I buy is fresh produce. Self-checkout with that is a real pain at our local store. There's a guided menu to traverse for each item until it's identified. Then weighed. Then bagged. Repeat for next item.

The clerks know the produce, and just drop it on their scale and key in the item code. They're about 10-20 times faster than the self-check system.

No, the fresh produce doesn't come with a barcode on each tomato, carrot, potato, or ear of corn. I like it that way. Even if the labels are edible, I don't need that sort of fiber or adhesive in my diet. And an RFID tag in every radish? Please...

In a way it is a lot farther along than most people will agree....

Most of us know back when you drove into a gas station and someone came out and filled up your tank... there was a good possibility they would clean your windows.... and if you asked they would check your oil level...

Show me where that is happening now (except the states that require it).... I know around here they had a station with a service line for awhile, but that went away since people did not want to pay the extra charge (I think 20 cents per gall)....

You eat at Chipolte and there are no waitstaff... you buy your food in line and most people buss their own table... other places are doing the same... this is different than fast food that has been doing this for decades....

You can buy your movie ticket online or at a machine at the theater bypassing the ticket line...

The car wash I go to have machines where you choose what you want and then drive through... two people scrub off the bad stuff and places that are hard to get too, but the rest of the process is automated.... you can then vacuum your own car at the end...

Yes, many of the service that used to be out there that would employee a good number of people are now gone... no wonder it is hard for the teens to find a job... one on my soccer team said he needed a reference to get a job sacking at a local grocer...

Most of what I buy is fresh produce. Self-checkout with that is a real pain at our local store. There's a guided menu to traverse for each item until it's identified. Then weighed. Then bagged. Repeat for next item.

The clerks know the produce, and just drop it on their scale and key in the item code. They're about 10-20 times faster than the self-check system.

No, the fresh produce doesn't come with a barcode on each tomato, carrot, potato, or ear of corn. I like it that way. Even if the labels are edible, I don't need that sort of fiber or adhesive in my diet. And an RFID tag in every radish? Please...

I am surprised they do not have this option at the produce section... where we shop there are a number of scales.... you put the produce on the scale and input the 4 digit number of the item... then hit print and you have your scan code... does not slow down at the registers...

Assuming a competitive marketplace:
(1) The "average checkout cost" is built into the cost of the good, not the "human checker" cost. If self-check saves money and more people use it, the prices of the groceries will be lower.
(2) And prices will be lower

Except for Aldi, I haven't seen the grocery-cart-return-deposit-device used in the U.S., it's very popular in Europe. Put a quarter in the small device on the handle and the short chain releases from the "on deck" cart allowing you to remove the last cart. Return the cart and plug in the chain and your quarter drops back out. If you want to leave your cart in the parking lot rather than return it to the stack, that's fine, somebody will come along soon to return that cart and claim the quarter. It cuts down on loose carts in the parking lot and the need to hire cart wranglers.

In principle I'm fine with charging people for plastic bags, too. Works a lot better than pleading and guilting them to bring their own.

I am surprised they do not have this option at the produce section... where we shop there are a number of scales.... you put the produce on the scale and input the 4 digit number of the item... then hit print and you have your scan code... does not slow down at the registers...

Great idea. None of the retailers with self checkout I have seen do that, except the service deli counter at one store. The produce look-up at the self check-out is a real time consuming p.i.t.a. IMO.

Maybe the retailers should have folks or bots surfing the internet to read our forum posts , for true customer feedback.

I notice at the self-checkout, there is much less of the "clerk stares into computer screen waiting for something, for one or two minutes" syndrome. That's why I use the self-checkout line.

In a way it is a lot farther along than most people will agree....

Most of us know back when you drove into a gas station and someone came out and filled up your tank... there was a good possibility they would clean your windows.... and if you asked they would check your oil level...
And if Dad had left you in the car for a minute to go do something... and you cranked the steering wheel side to side (before the days of those 'anti-theft' steering locks of course) while they were checking the air in the tires - WOW did the attendant get ticked off! >:D

Reading this post prompted a flashback and made me laugh at the remembrance. :LOL:

And, well I avoid the self check-out registers, I'd rather wait in line and people watch at Wally World, it's cheap entertainment.

Pretty soon you will be paying extra to NOT use the self checkouts.

Remember the day when ATMs came out? Some banks now charge you extra to use a teller.

I've used those also. I typically buy the same produce most of the time so I remember the PLU code, for bananas it's 4011. Just put it on the scale/scanner, punch it the PLU and it rings it up. Most of the fresh produce has a little PLU sticker on it.

Great and lively discussion. It is a double edge sword. The last jobs of the jobs that can't be outsourced are being automatized. Next will be robots doing fast food jobs and you using a touch screen to place your order. I own IRBT, ROK, CSCO and INTC to at least profit from this trend. Just bought more INTC.

+1. Given the choice, I'll use self-checkout every time. Our local grocery store has instituted a 25 item max for self-checkout, I can live with that.

Our main grocery store has 20 item limit, and we rarely have more than that, so it works well for us. We get through very quickly.

For a while they took it down to 15 items, and that made it a little tougher on us. But after a few months they took it back up to 20. We were very happy.

We notice most carts going through manned checkout lanes are really full. And the "fast" manned checkout lanes have really low limits, like 10 items or less, but self-checkout is still faster. There is rarely any wait at all at the self checkout which has four stations.

This reminds me of a trip to Home Depot not too long ago. Over the self-checkout area there was a HUGE sign that said something along the lines of, "WE LOVE OUR CASHIERS!!!". I thought it was a bit ironic.

There was interest in the Robinhood account. I used these account to purchase INTC today. If the money is in the account the order will post on that day's batch. You can invest as little as $10 or as much as $10K per stock, per trading day with no fees.

https://www.loyal3.com/stocks

This reminds me of a trip to Home Depot not too long ago. Over the self-checkout area there was a HUGE sign that said something along the lines of, "WE LOVE OUR CASHIERS!!!". I thought it was a bit ironic.

Walmart's slogan starting out was "American Made Matters" - try finding something made in America today that is sold there.

Back
Top Bottom