Free air in car tire cost me $11

50 cent I paid last week. What I liked about it is the automatic shutoff beep once it is at pressure.

I have gone out of my way to use those fancy air machines that let you digitally enter the pressure and then stop when you reach the desired pressure.

Follow up, the air almost cost me 2 bucks. I thumb in my 4 quarters, the machine comes alive, I set the machine to 35 pounds. I go to the tire that needs the .5 pound as it was closest. I go to the low tire, I removed the cap. The cap falls out of my hand and rolls under the car. I try to retrieve it, but I figure Ill do it later time might run out. The machine shuts off, i get my digital tire gauge, boom 35 pounds. If I needed to do 3 tires I would have been out of luck. Now of course I have a line behind me of everyone in the neighborhood needing air. The car closest to me was very close. I had a bit of a scowl on my face as I approach the driver. I motion to him to lower his window. He flat out refuses. He was waving me off, so I had to shout to him. "I dropped the tire cap under my car, When I pull out, DO NOT take my spot I need the cap". He smiles and waves and gives me the O.K. sign. I get the cap, put it on, and go get the ice cream.

After Katrina we could only find one gas station with a functioning air pump. As you may recall, everything was a huge crummy mess of destruction down here for a few years and air pumps were not immune from that. Anyway, as the other gas stations s-l-o-w-l-y got around to having their air pumps fixed over the next few years, they started charging.

So, F took care of that forever with one terrific decision. He bought an electric air pump designed for pumping up tires. Now, when we need air in our tires, we don't need to go any further than his driveway. :) I like this arrangement a lot better.

It's such a shame that you only have Hagen-Daaz up there, and don't have Blue Bell ice cream yet as far as I know. One time I had to get Hagen-Daaz because there wasn't any Blue Bell at the store, and I honestly ended up crying about that because it just isn't as good. I have never had 4 pints of Blue Bell in my freezer, but that idea is intriguing. If I am ever diagnosed with something terminal I promise you I will fill up my freezer with Blue Bell and go on the world's most giant binge. Definitely Cherry Vanilla, but honestly most of their flavors are heavenly (IMO).

Last edited:
It's such a shame that you only have Hagen-Daaz up there, and don't have Blue Bell ice cream yet as far as I know. One time I had to get Hagen-Daaz because there wasn't any Blue Bell at the store, and I honestly ended up crying about that because it just isn't as good. I have never had 4 pints of Blue Bell in my freezer, but that idea is intriguing. If I am ever diagnosed with something terminal I promise you I will fill up my freezer with Blue Bell and go on the world's most giant binge. Definitely Cherry Vanilla, but honestly most of their flavors are heavenly (IMO).

IDK if we have Blue Bell or not, But Hagaan-Daaz was the one on sale:LOL::LOL::LOL:. BTW we only recently graduated to hagaan Daaz, and thats only when its on sale. In my old life, it was friendly's half gallon (now48 oz) 2 for $5

Last edited:
It's free here in California.

My daughter was in Texas recently and she said Bluebell ice cream was the best. She was near Louisiana.

I have a one-gallon air compressor in the garage and use that to keep the tires up. Mine is from Sears but looks similar to this one. I also have a 20-gallon compressor in the basement and will use that if I get a flat. There's also a 12-volt one in the trunk of the car.

https://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hau...109&sr=1-5&keywords=one+gallon+air+compressor

I got this one on sale at HF for maybe $38? Do the 30 minute break in (valve open so no pressure builds for a full 30 minutes), I think the people with early failures failed to do that.

edit - forgot the link!

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

It's light, portable, and great for small jobs. I've used it for my nail guns - those don't take a lot of volume like most air tools, so works fine for that. Sure beats hauling around a big compressor. I actually wish this was 1 Gallon, not 3, so it would reach full pressure sooner. For the jobs I do, I really don't need the reserve that much. Thought about filling the tank with 2 gallons of old oil, just to take up space, but then draining any condensation would be 'interesting'. But maybe with all that oil, condensation wouldn't be a problem?

Also thought about taping in and adding a valve so I could switch between a small tank (old paintball tank or old fire extinguisher), and the 3 gallon one, but the manifold looks to bolt right onto the tank, not easy to mod it.

I also have a 12V compressor in each car. I've come across slow leaks while I'm out, and I was able to pump it up enough to get home or to a repair place. That's a lot more convenient than waiting for someone to come rescue you, or risk running on a low tire. Each of my kids have one, and know how to use it (one even 'saved' her friend with a low tire - hero! :) ).

-ERD50

Last edited:
We have a huge air compressor at home. :D

It's mainly for filling up the motorhome tires - they need up to 110 psi!

Costco will check and fill your tires for free. My in-laws swing by the Costco shop to check air every time they shop.
Where you buy tires or at the pumps?

Follow up, the air almost cost me 2 bucks. I thumb in my 4 quarters, the machine comes alive, I set the machine to 35 pounds. I go to the tire that needs the .5 pound as it was closest. I go to the low tire, I removed the cap. The cap falls out of my hand and rolls under the car. I try to retrieve it, but I figure Ill do it later time might run out. The machine shuts off, i get my digital tire gauge, boom 35 pounds. If I needed to do 3 tires I would have been out of luck. Now of course I have a line behind me of everyone in the neighborhood needing air. The car closest to me was very close. I had a bit of a scowl on my face as I approach the driver. I motion to him to lower his window. He flat out refuses. He was waving me off, so I had to shout to him. "I dropped the tire cap under my car, When I pull out, DO NOT take my spot I need the cap". He smiles and waves and gives me the O.K. sign. I get the cap, put it on, and go get the ice cream.

I swear, half the times I check my tires, I lose a cap. I've taken to keeping a 4 pack in the glove box. Only costs a buck. YMMV

I got this one on sale at HF for maybe $38? Do the 30 minute break in (valve open so no pressure builds for a full 30 minutes), I think the people with early failures failed to do that.

edit - forgot the link!

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

It's light, portable, and great for small jobs. I've used it for my nail guns - those don't take a lot of volume like most air tools, so works fine for that. Sure beats hauling around a big compressor.......

Those oil-less ones are supposed to be very LOUD , do you have both kinds, or just the oil-less one ?

Those oil-less ones are supposed to be very LOUD , do you have both kinds, or just the oil-less one ?

The one I linked, I'd say it is loud, but not terribly so. Again, an occasional use kind of thing. If you regularly need high volumes of air, you will probably want something better. But then you pay the price in $ and size and weight. I like that it is small and light, and gets the (small) job done.

I had my FILs old big heavy one. Quieter I guess, but really not that much in comparison. And with the big tank, it had to run as long as this to get to the pressure I need to shoot a nail.

-ERD50

TY for the air compressor ideas. But for a guy that lives in the city, Ill spring for the dollar air. I actually looked up on ebay about the cigarette lighter ones. I found a few for about 10 bucks, I dont think I got air 10 times in the last 14 years I own a car. Besides then the bride(and me) wouldn't have gotten the ice cream, hahaha

The small ones that plug into a cigarette lighter are in each of our cars, they weigh less than 2 lbs, fit in any small spot in the trunk. And, for tires, the best thing about these compressors is that they are right there when you need them. Whether you are in the city or country, if you walk out to the car and the tire is too flat to drive to an air pump, you can still put air in and get going, at least temporarily. Even the crummy Harbor Freight models get the job done.

Last edited:
Also, though Kroger gas stations have the coin operated air stations, it is free if you buy gas. Just ask the guy in the booth after you buy fuel, they will activate it for you. Free air!

Also, though Kroger gas stations have the coin operated air stations, it is free if you buy gas. Just ask the guy in the booth after you buy fuel, they will activate it for you. Free air!

Nearest Kroger is in New Jersey, Ill keep 4 quarters in the armrest:LOL:.

That is genius! I clicked, figuring this was some crazy, complex system that would not be practical, but this is so simple.

Just a small diameter piece of tubing inside the tire that is compressed at the 'bottom' as the wheel spins, and that forms a peristaltic pump. A second tire-stem-like part sticking out is turned to dial in the regulator inside to set the air pressure. So tires are automatically inflated to spec as you drive.

Seems they could make a simple mechanism to move a magnet when pressure is below the regulator setting. A magnetic detector near the rim could sense that, and act as the warning of low pressure if it saw it stayed low for more than a mile or whatever (maybe yellow to show actively pumping, then red/alert if it wasn't keeping up).

This is way better than the systems now, that can only warn you when you get low. This would keep the tire at optimum, summer and winter. I want it!

-ERD50

I'm surprised air is still used in tires (or any gas for that matter) rather than some high tech foam product. But then how would the evil megacorps extract the quarters from our pockets.

I'm surprised air is still used in tires (or any gas for that matter) rather than some high tech foam product. But then how would the evil megacorps extract the quarters from our pockets.

Since you brought it up:LOL:. We bought a new car, they had the nerve to charge $700 (SEVEN HUNDRED) for nitrogen in the tires. I told them are you nuts? They went on and on how it allowed me to return anytime and fill them back up with more no charge. I wonder how many poor souls got taken on that one. If i figure out how to have the wife take a picture of the bill of sale and post it I will put it on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom