Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I got this one on sale at HF for maybe $38? Do the 30 minute break in (valve open so no pressure builds for a full 30 minutes), I think the people with early failures failed to do that.

edit - forgot the link!

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gall...sor-95275.html

It's light, portable, and great for small jobs. I've used it for my nail guns - those don't take a lot of volume like most air tools, so works fine for that. Sure beats hauling around a big compressor.......
Those oil-less ones are supposed to be very LOUD , do you have both kinds, or just the oil-less one ?
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Those oil-less ones are supposed to be very LOUD , do you have both kinds, or just the oil-less one ?
The one I linked, I'd say it is loud, but not terribly so. Again, an occasional use kind of thing. If you regularly need high volumes of air, you will probably want something better. But then you pay the price in $ and size and weight. I like that it is small and light, and gets the (small) job done.

I had my FILs old big heavy one. Quieter I guess, but really not that much in comparison. And with the big tank, it had to run as long as this to get to the pressure I need to shoot a nail.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TY for the air compressor ideas. But for a guy that lives in the city, Ill spring for the dollar air. I actually looked up on ebay about the cigarette lighter ones. I found a few for about 10 bucks, I dont think I got air 10 times in the last 14 years I own a car. Besides then the bride(and me) wouldn't have gotten the ice cream, hahaha
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The small ones that plug into a cigarette lighter are in each of our cars, they weigh less than 2 lbs, fit in any small spot in the trunk. And, for tires, the best thing about these compressors is that they are right there when you need them. Whether you are in the city or country, if you walk out to the car and the tire is too flat to drive to an air pump, you can still put air in and get going, at least temporarily. Even the crummy Harbor Freight models get the job done.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Also, though Kroger gas stations have the coin operated air stations, it is free if you buy gas. Just ask the guy in the booth after you buy fuel, they will activate it for you. Free air!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Also, though Kroger gas stations have the coin operated air stations, it is free if you buy gas. Just ask the guy in the booth after you buy fuel, they will activate it for you. Free air!
Nearest Kroger is in New Jersey, Ill keep 4 quarters in the armrest.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #47

Simple solution here:

SIT - Self Inflating Tire Technology
Old 07-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That is genius! I clicked, figuring this was some crazy, complex system that would not be practical, but this is so simple.

Just a small diameter piece of tubing inside the tire that is compressed at the 'bottom' as the wheel spins, and that forms a peristaltic pump. A second tire-stem-like part sticking out is turned to dial in the regulator inside to set the air pressure. So tires are automatically inflated to spec as you drive.

Seems they could make a simple mechanism to move a magnet when pressure is below the regulator setting. A magnetic detector near the rim could sense that, and act as the warning of low pressure if it saw it stayed low for more than a mile or whatever (maybe yellow to show actively pumping, then red/alert if it wasn't keeping up).

This is way better than the systems now, that can only warn you when you get low. This would keep the tire at optimum, summer and winter. I want it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Free air in car tire cost me $11
Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Free air in car tire cost me $11

I'm surprised air is still used in tires (or any gas for that matter) rather than some high tech foam product. But then how would the evil megacorps extract the quarters from our pockets.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I'm surprised air is still used in tires (or any gas for that matter) rather than some high tech foam product. But then how would the evil megacorps extract the quarters from our pockets.
Since you brought it up. We bought a new car, they had the nerve to charge $700 (SEVEN HUNDRED) for nitrogen in the tires. I told them are you nuts? They went on and on how it allowed me to return anytime and fill them back up with more no charge. I wonder how many poor souls got taken on that one. If i figure out how to have the wife take a picture of the bill of sale and post it I will put it on the forum.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #51

Note that more and more cars now come with an air pump and tire sealant instead of a spare tire and jack. But a 12v tire pump is from 15 up. Buy a big round tire gauge for about 8 and you are set if you have a low tire anywhere or even a slow leak if you can inflate the tire and it is an overnight to flat leak you can get to a tire repair shop. Mine have saved me several times.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
That's why I bought a portable compressor and air chuck. Harbor Freight also sells air tanks you can fill up and take out to the car/truck.

I figure I'll be about break even on buying air around 2045.
+1
Got the short squatty one for $39+10 for the kit to air up just about anything. Use it every other week...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Since you brought it up. We bought a new car, they had the nerve to charge $700 (SEVEN HUNDRED) for nitrogen in the tires. I told them are you nuts? They went on and on how it allowed me to return anytime and fill them back up with more no charge. I wonder how many poor souls got taken on that one. If i figure out how to have the wife take a picture of the bill of sale and post it I will put it on the forum.
That is OUTRAGEOUS! I assume you told them where to blow their nitrogen.

Last set of replacement tires we bought at Costco. They didn't even ask - they just use nitrogen now instead of air. No extra charge. AND they will check/refill as often as you pull into their garage - and that's at any Costco. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Where you buy tires or at the pumps?
Where you buy tires - just pull up in front of the shop and someone will usually come out right away to check tires. I guess not many know about this or else there would be a huge traffic jam in front of the tire shop.....

As an aside: At the gas pumps, they don't even provide window washing tools anymore. That's a downside of getting gas at Costco. In fact, my local Costco is NOT a particularly good deal for gas. It's usually among the cheapest (compared to gas stations), but rarely THE cheapest, and when it is cheaper, it is not by much. Where my in-laws live, Costco tends to beat local stations by 10-15 cents gallon. Not sure why the differences exist.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #55

Just buy some of those green valve caps and you can impress your neighbors with your "nitrogen filled" tires.

Seriously, I think this is one of those things that just point out the general scientific illiteracy. People really don't realize that air is 78% nitrogen?
Old 07-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
That is OUTRAGEOUS! I assume you told them where to blow their nitrogen.

Last set of replacement tires we bought at Costco. They didn't even ask - they just use nitrogen now instead of air. No extra charge. AND they will check/refill as often as you pull into their garage - and that's at any Costco. YMMV
We have the original bill of sale when she is willing, Im going to post it. You cant make this up.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Seriously, I think this is one of those things that just point out the general scientific illiteracy. People really don't realize that air is 78% nitrogen?
I was looking on youtube for one of those "man on the street" interviews to show the lack of scientific literacy (preferably humorous) and didn't find one, but stumbled across this. The funny part starts at 1:06.