Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Free all you can eat Crab Legs
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Free all you can eat Crab Legs

So my son and I go to the grocery store and they are trying to sell King Crab legs. They have cooked up a bunch of them and asking folks to try them. However, not too many people are eating them. My son loves crab meat, so while I continue shopping, he just eats and eats and eats.

When I get back to him, the seafood manager is giving him a container of hot crab legs to take home with him.

We didn't buy any crab legs.

As I've always said, you won't be eating cat food in your old age if you can get yourself to a grocery store that gives away goodies.

What goodies have you eaten for free at the store?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just live near Costco, lunch problem solved forever.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never seen the free crab legs but jumbo shrimp, cheese, grapes, granola bars, and olives are pretty common.

A trip to Costco fills me up. Juice, soup, chicken salad on crackers, chips and salsa, and candy for dessert. Sometimes they have some tea or coffee to wash it all down.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

So there you go: From now on, we can't say, "You'll be eating cat food." Instead, we will have to say, "You'll be eating at Costco."
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

When we visited Oregon a couple weeks ago, and while in line at Voodoo Donuts in Portland an employee came out with a tray of several huge "Texas Challenge" donuts (they say they are 6 times the size of the typical donut). They made too many of them, so she was out giving a few away and we took one and shared it while we waited in line.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
HEB where I live in Texas provides various tasters of cheese, cakes, chips and dips most times that we go there.

A couple of weeks ago here in England we were enjoying a pot of tea at a small cafe after a long walk. The owner came around with a tray of fruit scones offering them for free as she had made them too small. Very nice.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #7

I have rarely tried salsa or cheese / crackers. At Jewel Osco.
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't you get decent food at most annuity pitches? . Also time share presentations.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Don't you get decent food at most annuity pitches? . Also time share presentations.
Just attended a timeshare pitch in Orlando. Got donuts, juice, milk for 4 and $100 amex debit card. Just say no and buy resale if you r truly interested. It was 90 minutes, but it was rainy out.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Having to put up with an annuity salesman is free.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Local grocery stores only put out miniscule taste test samples.

When we volunteer at a Legion or VFW or a local ethnic club, we usually get excess cooked leftovers and sometimes extra unused meat and bread to take home with us. We only take what has not been set out, i.e. it has been kept hot or cold in the kitchen.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Having to put up with an annuity salesman is free.
Same with a timeshare sales presentation - I don't recommend it unless you know you can say "no". No free lunch as one can place a value on time, but DW had a few questions about our timeshare purchase via resale. Of course the sales guy slanted the responses to their benefit.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't think a free annuity or timeshare lunch would work for me. Having to sit through those presentations would spoil my appetite.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So my son and I go to the grocery store and they are trying to sell King Crab legs. They have cooked up a bunch of them and asking folks to try them. However, not too many people are eating them. My son loves crab meat, so while I continue shopping, he just eats and eats and eats.
Does DS like the comic strip Blondie? It's one of my favorites, Dagwood is always hungry. BLONDIE
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

No Costco here and no free samples in any of the local grocery stores. Of course I mainly frequent the med aisle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beer.jpg (28.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
No Costco here and no free samples in any of the local grocery stores. Of course I mainly frequent the med aisle.
What? You don't take an opener, pop a cap to sample, and put the empty back in it's sleeve for recycling?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
What? You don't take an opener, pop a cap to sample, and put the empty back in it's sleeve for recycling?

While I worked in a supermarket during my college years I saw something similar. One day I rounded the corner and looked up the aisle to see a kid give me a startled look, quickly stick a jar of something back on the shelf and take off running.

When I investigated I discovered he'd sampled a jar of peanut butter, leaving a perfect imprint of his upper teeth in the divot.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't think a free annuity or timeshare lunch would work for me. Having to sit through those presentations would spoil my appetite.
I agree, whatever they give you isn't worth a session with Guido "The Closer"
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Fancy cheeses, sandwich meat, cantaloupe, peach, strawberry, cake, cookies, sushi, tapenade, cheese spread, hummus, bread, etc. At a fancy grocery store in a fancy high rent district near me. I can't ever get full off of the samples, but I have seen a number of very young slender (attractive!) females pigging out on those samples. I figure they are strapped for cash and can't afford dinner because they live in the high rent district, or they are operating under the hypothesis that any calories consumed while standing up do not make you fat.

I had a co-worker relate her cheapness to me one time. It consists of going to the deli, and asking for a bunch of sample slices of meat. Make a decision on what kind of meat or cheese you want. Then order a 1/4 lb of some item. Ask for a sample slice. Then say, "no a little bigger", and eat that sample slice. Then say, oh, "maybe a little smaller". Then when they cut it just right, eat your third sample slice.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #20

Quote:
We've done it, but the rubber chicken wasn't worth the onerous sales pitch. We don't bother anymore, we're not that hungry!