Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys should make a daily habit of visiting Kindle Review – Kindle 3 Review, Kindle vs Nook, where many free and low-cost Kindle books are posted every week. Seriously -- I ain't a-spammin' ya.

Here's one of many posts: 50 Free Books in the Kindle Store

50 Free Books in the Kindle Store « Kindle Review – Kindle 3 Review, Kindle vs Nook
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This one appeared today. It gets good reader reviews, and the first few pages that I've read are funny.

Amazon.com: Fat,Forty,Fired: One Man's Frank,Funny,and Inspiring Account of Losing His Job and Finding His Life eBook: Nigel Marsh: Kindle Store
T-Al
Thanks for this referral. About 2/3 through this book and have really enjoyed. While it deals with a 40ish guy dropping out of a high pressue job to take a year of sabattical "awakening", many of his "discoveries" will resonate with the ER crowd and making the change from a life of w*rk.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

I have found most of the free books are either classsics or not that great but the under $5 books are great .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
Administrator

Finally - a free e-book that I can identify with.

Amazon.com: The Beer Devotional eBook: Jess Lebow: Kindle Store
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't looked at this one:

Amazon.com: 15 Expert Lessons for Retirement Planning (Collection) eBook: Steve Weisman, Liz Pulliam Weston, James Walker, Moshe A. Milevsky, Frank Armstrong, Linda H. Lewis, Paul Brown, Bonnie Kirchner, Trent A. Hamm: Kindle Store
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This one looks quite good:

Amazon.com: You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir! eBook: Danny Bent: Kindle Store
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: What Every Man Thinks About Apart From Sex (Blank Inside) eBook: Shed Simove, Sheridan Simove: Kindle Store

This book is blank. It is 200 blank pages.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #28

The reviews are pretty funny! Someone is looking for the audio format.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I just got these three:

The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years Kindle Free Book
The Raven & Other Classic Poe Stories (Kindle Edition with Audio/Video)
Expelled (Roger Ward Trilogy) Kindle Free Book

I remember reading a bunch of Poe stories long ago, and discovering what a great story teller he was, so I'm looking forward to reading him again.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Poe was stationed for a time on the island where I grew up. We lived a couple of blocks from the fort and lots of stuff around here is named for his stories, like Gold Bug Island. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like to read book series in order so went ahead and bought the first book of the Roger Ward trilogy based on the description of the third book. Hope they turn out to be good but only 99 cents each for books one and two so not out a lot if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the alert.

Quote:
I just got these three:

The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years Kindle Free Book
The Raven & Other Classic Poe Stories (Kindle Edition with Audio/Video)
Expelled (Roger Ward Trilogy) Kindle Free Book

I remember reading a bunch of Poe stories long ago, and discovering what a great story teller he was, so I'm looking forward to reading him again.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I just finished Amazon.com: Expelled (Roger Ward Trilogy) eBook: Clayton Spann: Kindle Store. It was not engrossing -- I rate it a 7/10.

Something I've seen with a few of these free Kindle books is that the proofreading is terrible -- as if no one proofread. There is a typo every 10 pages or so, and in this book, many of the typos were distracting.

For example:

"Like the Maria, once they got you in you could never get out." (should be "Mafia").

"Just right he signed up for, right?"

"Thrust would have to be kept below way design minimums..."
Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Much like reading an Internet forum... ;-)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

There are some books that look good today:

Pipes: Free ebooks on Kindle from Amazon

I got On the Run, Late Rain, and A Good Clean.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I just noticed that "Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery", by Gail MarksJarvis, is free for the Kindle and I thought maybe it could be relevant for some here.

http://www.amazon.com/Retirement-without-Winning-Lottery-ebook/dp/B000RH0DTO/ref=zg_bstf_154606011_1

I am already retired, so I don't plan to read it. However, a review says
Quote:
“Leading financial columnist MarksJarvis presents the everyman’s guide to saving for retirement. The idea of navigating the world of 401Ks and Roth IRAs leaves many people scared, cold, or both. This book will help reduce the confusion, anxiety and avoidance that many people associate with saving for retirement. Informed by thousands of calls and emails from readers over the years, MarksJarvis understands exactly what people want and need to know about managing their personal finances. Here, she provides guidance and answers common questions in an organized and reader-friendly style. Readers will learn how to calculate what they’ll need for their nest egg, how to open an IRA, make sense of mutual funds and when to consult a financial advisor. Sensible–but not stuffy–this book will convince young people to start saving now, and will help ensure that panicked middle-aged readers will not be spending their golden years in the poor house.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I noticed today that my library is now lending books for Kindle.

When I complete the check-out, clicking on the download button took me to a download page at Amazon. The text there said only download via wifi or USB is supported, not via 3G.

I tried it via wifi and it seemed to be a bit slower than ususal, but worked.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
I noticed today that my library is now lending books for Kindle.

When I complete the check-out, clicking on the download button took me to a download page at Amazon. The text there said only download via wifi or USB is supported, not via 3G.

I tried it via wifi and it seemed to be a bit slower than ususal, but worked.
Do the books expire? What kind of selection do you get?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #38

Hi,

Does anyone still have a copy of that Fat, Forty and Fired ? It speaks to me on a couple of different levels (snicker) but as usual I`ve missed the boat on downloading for free. Thanks in advance.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Do the books expire? What kind of selection do you get?
I did not find any statistics on how many Kindle books are available, but just browsing through the selections, it looks like wherever there is an Adobe EPUB or Adobe PDF link, there is also a Kindle download link. They have the same lending period as other ebooks (14 days).

Ours is not a large library system; I am guessing between 5000 and 8000 are available, judging from looking at the counts in the various categories. I also have access to the Boston Public library digital catalog, but I have not logged on to find out about Kindle availability on that system yet.

The FAQ section on my library site has not been updated yet with any indication of whether you can return a Kindle shows as loaned out to mebooks te early – I hope I discover some method to do this with Kindle books as volume early. I did delete a book from my Kindle today that I had borrowed yesterday, but it still well., so apparently that does not result in an early return. I am able to return borrowed Adobe books early – I hope I discover some method to do this with Kindle books as well.

Update:
The borrowed books appear on my "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon, with a notation of "public library" beside them. The Actions dropdown box has a "return this book" option. I did that on the volume I wanted to return, and it no longer shows on my Library site as loaned out to me. (Yay!)
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #40
Administrator

Just saw "The Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote