Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This one is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Penal-Colo...2149682&sr=1-1

It's about someone sent to a penal colony off the coast of England. The prisoners are just dumped off, and left to fend for themselves.
One of the hardest parts of his sentence was to realize just how many mundane activities he would never be able to sample again; and worse, to realize how many opportunities for pleasure he had allowed to pass him by.

On the mainland he had always lived in the future, always looking forward to the completion of the project in hand. When he passed his exams, got the new contract, married Louise, paid off the mortgage: when, in turn, each of these dreams was realized, then, and only then, would he be happy. All were ends, to be reached by any means expedient or possible. He saw now that there were no such things as ends, only means: for ends were phantoms that melted away when approached, only to reform into other ends further off. For most men the process was limited by death.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm - not free for me - too bad - looks like a great book,
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Hmm - not free for me - too bad - looks like a great book,
That's interesting -- different prices for different people? Maybe they know I've never paid any money for a Kindle book, and they've given up on me. That link takes me here:

book.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Someone told me that Kindle books and Kindles have different prices when bought from Amazon in the U.S., vs Amazon overseas.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #45

Wow - I just re-clicked the link and it was $0 - it was $4.12 plus VAT before....hmmmm - they can do all kinds of tracking on the internet - in any case I have it now!!!!! :-) :-)

Thanks! Hope your low carb T-day goes well.

B
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Someone told me that Kindle books and Kindles have different prices when bought from Amazon in the U.S., vs Amazon overseas.
I'm an American customer but have a German ip address - I'm sure they don't know what to do with me ;-) That's OK - I'll let the confusion reign to my benefit for awhile longer.....
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I got these free Kindle books today -- all get good reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: png image-2393028627.png (69.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your alerts are ever so appreciated. Adding to my Kindle collection makes my decision on whether to buy a new Kindle Fire or Nook Touch that much harder. I really want the fastest internet, and better screen and easy volume control. But love all the free books (and Amazon in general) that you can get on Amazon for the Kindle.

I wonder if Barnes & Noble has anything similar. Know you can download library books with Noble, but I think the timer goes off after two weeks, and then they are gone. Not sure on that, but that wouldn't work for me.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

modhatter, I read library books on my Kindle and can keep them for 21 days, so I would think that would be the same for a nook. From what others have said here, free books are apparently available on the nook too. I like having access to all the Amazon Kindle books but that is probably just personal preference.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

The library time period would be the same for any of the readers, modhatter.
I use Kindle software on my iPad with no problem.
But I gotta tell you, I'd probably bet on the Kindle over the Nook at this stage in the "arms race" between the two companies.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I wonder if Barnes & Noble has anything similar. Know you can download library books with Noble, but I think the timer goes off after two weeks, and then they are gone. Not sure on that, but that wouldn't work for me.
Yes they do. Go to their website, select ebooks and search for 0.00. What they offer are public domain books.

Besides the library there are many sites with free books to download, most in PDF format which the Touch reads easily (not sure about PDF and Kindle). See MobileRead Forums

-- Rita
New Simple Touch reader