Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Free (or very low cost) internet access?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Free (or very low cost) internet access?

I am looking for free or low cost ISP for a neighbor.

Can someone recommend one?

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I suspect this is not what you're looking for, but I believe most local libraries provides free internet access in most communities. And if you have a Wi-Fi laptop, PDA, iPhone, Ipod Touch, etc. there are quite a few free Wi-Fi hotspots where you can surf for free.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You want cheap, I'll give you what my father-in-law has been swearing by for seven years: Wal-Mart.

WMConnect.com, the unwanted stepchild of what used to be Compuserve, is now experimented with run by AOL using Netscape:
Member Center - Terms of Service

It used to be $9.95/month but may have soared up to $14.95/month.

Then there's always $9.95/month JunoTurbo: Juno Internet Service- Value-priced Internet Service Provider - ISP - Free, low-cost and fast Internet Access

I gotta warn your neighbor, though, that this is what you get by being cheap.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get a wireless card and see if a neighbor has an open WAP.

Make sure you have a firewall first.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

dsl extreme is around 12.95/mo if you can get it. I have Verizon dsl for 14.95/mo. But I suppose you mean cheaper than those.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I fiddled with an endless series of cheap ISP's for my MIL, who uses it about once a month and really doesnt need anything costly.

Drove me nuts. They switched price plans. Went out of business. Got acquired by other ISP's that converted the account, started charging my credit card like crazy, it'd stop working and we wouldnt be able to get anyone on the support line and nobody would answer support emails, etc.

We finally ended up with an Earthlink plan that costs a little less than $14 a month, prepaid for a year...I think its $165/year?

Basically my experience was that when you go below $9 a month, the provider gets squirrelly at some point.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Supposedly NetZero will give you 10 free hours a month, I didn't look into too closely though.....

NetZero.com Net Zero Dial Up Internet Service Provider offering High Speed and Free Internet Access ISP
Old 02-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

FYI - the netzero "free" and a number of the other free or very low cost (<$5) ISP's require that you use their software (which blasts you constantly with ads) and tracks your internet usage.

Read the fine print before you buy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Shouldn't the internet be free for everybody?"

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Get a wireless card and see if a neighbor has an open WAP.
Setting the ethics aside for a moment, let's talk enforcement-- wouldn't that hypothetical neighbor's hypothetically open WAP have some means of detecting what you're doing?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Setting the ethics aside for a moment, let's talk enforcement-- wouldn't that hypothetical neighbor's hypothetically open WAP have some means of detecting what you're doing?
Well, ethics aside, here's what you're potentially up against. Those router / wireless access points you buy at Best Buy or Costco typically have no wireless security out of the box. If they don't, then you just tell your OS that you want to use that access point and you're good to go.

Now, the question is, who's on the other side. They could be a clueless neighbor that didn't know to secure anything. They could be a neighbor that just doesn't care who's using their network. Or, they could be malicious. In the past, option 1 was a pretty safe bet. These days, well, you could profile the neighborhood and make an educated guess.

It's pretty easy to see who is using your network. And, once someone is on your network, one could easily set up a network sniffer to see if they're sending anything interesting. Further, one could start to run attacks against the computer on the network to see if there was any means to exploit that machine. These days, an enterprising individual can just download software to attempt to do all of the exploiting for them.

The simplest way to safeguard oneself when attempting to use an open network is to make sure their OS has the latest patches, has a firewall installed, has up-to-date anti-virus, and make sure you're using SSL with any site you visit (https not http). There can be more to it than that but that's a good place to start.

Another option would be to see if there's a neighbor in the area with wireless that you trust and see if they'll just let you on their network for a modest fee.

As an aside...

a business-class cable contract or DSL contract may allow the end user to provision access as desired. One can pick up a cheap access point control at Best Buy or other fine retailer that can be tuned to how the provider (neighbor in this case) wants to allow access. For example, the hypothetical neighbor could let everyone use their service, they could require you to register and authenticate, they could even integrate with a payment gateway and charge a flat rate or based on usage. All out of the box. Anyway, interesting if anyone wants to be the neighborhood ISP. We were working on a concept at my last employer (large CE retailer) where we'd run WiMax out to a location, hook that to a standard wifi access point and then handle provisioning.

The whole thing works just like you might see at a coffee shop or hotel where you're intercepted by a page of some sort the first time you fire up a browser.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #12

Oh, and on the other side of it... if you have a wireless access point and you want to restrict access to it, you should, at a minimum, set up some sort of security between your computers and your router. In my case, I use WEP between my computers and router. Further, my router only allows MAC addresses that I specify to connect. It's a bit paranoid, but I don't trust people like me.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Frankly, WEP is less than worthless. Your computer and router are doing work to produce the encryption, and the average machine in range can decipher your WEP key in less than ten minutes. Mine could do it in under a minute.

The mac address limitation is good for resisting connections. But once your WEP key is deciphered, everything you send and receive is open for viewing and analysis.

While you can take a chance on security through obscurity, I'd find it a poor decision to do any financial transactions or pass any passwords through an unknown wireless router.

It'd take my old desktop just a couple of weeks to break your SSL/https transactions...

I'd use WPA, or preferably WPA2...and leave anything sensitive for when I was home or knew the router I was passing through...

I guess the good news is there are plenty of people with open routers and no encryption at all, plus they've turned on file sharing and have a trojan or two running on their machine. So maybe theres so much cheap and available action, nobody will get around to sporking your password to Fidelity...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #14

in conclusion, your best bet is to not live next to CFB.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
It'd take my old desktop just a couple of weeks to break your SSL/https transactions...
I think you'd be the first to do it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Bunny's evil twin emerges - Black Rabbit?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You want cheap, I'll give you what my father-in-law has been swearing by for seven years: Wal-Mart.

WMConnect.com, the unwanted stepchild of what used to be Compuserve, is now experimented with run by AOL using Netscape:
Member Center - Terms of Service

It used to be $9.95/month but may have soared up to $14.95/month.

Then there's always $9.95/month JunoTurbo: Juno Internet Service- Value-priced Internet Service Provider - ISP - Free, low-cost and fast Internet Access

I gotta warn your neighbor, though, that this is what you get by being cheap.
Does Juno Turbo really speed things up 5x times over regular dial up? Downloads any faster?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Setting both ethics and enforcement aside, let's talk stupidity lack of knowledge. About a year ago I noticed my DSL connection began working slower than it had before, and would also disconnect at random times. I lived with it for a couple of months until my son, who works in the industry, visited. I mentioned the problem, he checked it, and said I'd been using my neighbor's unsecured wireless. Seems my own router had died, my computer automatically connected to my neighbor and, being further away, it had a weaker signal. He replaced the modem and I regained my old speed.

I mentioned it to my neighbor, and he didn't have a clue that I had been unintentionally using his router, nor did he particularly care. So I told him if his ever died, he could use mine to return the favor.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Setting both ethics and enforcement aside, let's talk stupidity lack of knowledge. About a year ago I noticed my DSL connection began working slower than it had before, and would also disconnect at random times. I lived with it for a couple of months until my son, who works in the industry, visited. I mentioned the problem, he checked it, and said I'd been using my neighbor's unsecured wireless. Seems my own router had died, my computer automatically connected to my neighbor and, being further away, it had a weaker signal. He replaced the modem and I regained my old speed.

I mentioned it to my neighbor, and he didn't have a clue that I had been unintentionally using his router, nor did he particularly care. So I told him if his ever died, he could use mine to return the favor.
You maybe should have told him to secure his router. And maybe you should secure yours too. A third party could interfere with either of you.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
dsl extreme is around 12.95/mo if you can get it. I have Verizon dsl for 14.95/mo. But I suppose you mean cheaper than those.
Today, I signed up for 3-mo of DSL Xtreme dial up (gulp!) for 11.95/mo; their cheapest plan is $9.95/mo for a one-year contract. I'll let you know how it goes, maybe I'll sign in from there. My standards are very low and as long as I'm w*rking, the home computer won't be used all that much.

How's this for unclear on the concept of LBYM: I'm attaching dial up to a new MacBook pro. But experience tells me that the good ole REF will inspire me to upgrade the connection.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote