Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I think last year (?) someone had posted a short GoPro video of being passed by a climber really fast with no equipment on El Capitan. Thinking it may have been climber. It was really unnerving being way up, every time the GoPro’er moved you could hear and see all his equipment swing back and forth, then to see someone just go by without anything...
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

dad and i just watched it, he's CRAZY...... Won Oscar for best documentary !!!!!!!!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
dad and i just watched it, he's CRAZY......

Not crazy.

See walkinwood's link.
Legendary Rock Climber Alex Honnold Gets Put Into an MRI, and the Results Are Surprising

His amygdala isn't firing on all pixels - i.e. he does not respond to fear like the rest of us.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 great documentary
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
dad and i just watched it, he's CRAZY...... Won Oscar for best documentary !!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Not crazy.

His amygdala doesn't fire on all pixels - i.e. he does not respond to fear like the rest of us.
I watched an interview he did where this came up, and he said his control over fear is largely also a learned response, it’s not simply amygdala “fearlessness.” Makes sense to me, most of us have had to learn to overcome our various fears if only through experience, it’s not just hardwired. I don’t doubt physiology plays a role, but so does conditioning, experience and learning to conquer your fears.

I’ve heard many extreme and adventure athletes say some fear/respect is crucial, being without fear or over confident often leads to (fatal) mistakes.

IMO Alex Honnold doesn’t come across as “crazy” or reckless at all, quite the opposite. He’s just much more commited, willing to do whatever it takes/work harder, and ultimately perform at a level most of us simply can’t comprehend. To say he’s on another level than the rest of us is a huge understatement...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Oscar Acceptance
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #26

Oscar Acceptance

I love how they thank Alex last. He just stood in the background as humble as can be, smiling. I understand the Oscar is for the film making but don't think anyone making the film was in as much danger as Alex.

His lifestyle, his nonchalant way of talking about what he's about to do is quite amazing. He did grow up climbing and risk taking, but really? He did not seem to fear death. That part where he mentions a fellow climber dying while climbing. Yeah, well it happens.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding thanking Alex at the awards - I fully expected them to forget about him. Seems like thanking him is an after thought.

Comparing those that took the accolades is like the chicken and pig supplying breakfast, THE CHICKEN WAS INVOLVED , THE PIG COMMITTED.

I don't even free solo up to my treadmill.

Learned from an old horse racing handicapper - NEVER BET A LOT TO WIN A LITTLE.
Retiree_Having_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Honnold is a very interesting person. Totally into climbing, it is his whole life. He lives in a van (he finally bought a house but does not appear to live in it much). He is a vegetarian and eats strange food mixes out of frying pan with a spatula. It appears he has about 5% body fat. He finally has a girlfriend (she is really nice and cute) but its a strained relationship due to the climbing. It appears he grew up in a fairly dysfunctional childhood-- he was never hugged and nothing he ever did was good enough. It almost seems if he has a death wish. I really enjoyed the documentary and I am interested to see what he does next. I hope he lives a long and happy life and finds a safer hobby.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I hope he lives a long and happy life and finds a safer hobby.

There's no question that what he does is incredible but he is playing russian roulette and I have no doubt if he continues it will eventually be the cause of his death.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #30

He is not 100% crazy tho..........didn't the film showing him abandoning the climb on the day he way scheduled to climb because things didn't feel right? And there was a subsequent delay of some months before the real climb was done presumably because it felt right that time.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Another good climbing movie is “The Dawn Wall” now playing on Netflix. Tommy Caldwell, the lead climber is interesting.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

If you like Free Solo I would highly recommend another film on Netflix-
Valley Uprising

like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #33

Great film. Riveting. What an athlete.
I worry for him having a girlfriend. It’s a distraction and added pressure a guy in his line of work doesn’t need. Based on the documentary, he seems to be threading that needle for now. But as the relationship progresses (if it does), I just think it’s not helpful for his career and safety.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 AM   #34

What Alex did is completely mind-boggling.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Not crazy.

See walkinwood's link.
Legendary Rock Climber Alex Honnold Gets Put Into an MRI, and the Results Are Surprising

His amygdala isn't firing on all pixels - i.e. he does not respond to fear like the rest of us.

You're right, Meant CRAZY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD !!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #36

We watched Free Solo last night. I didn't sleep well. I kept falling...

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I saw it first in the theater (not IMAX), and then recorded it from NatGeo. First off, I'm really impressed by his sheer athleticism. Further impressed by his prep. He basically had the entire route committed to memory and exactly what he'd do with his hands and feet in any tricky sections. He practiced again and again on ropes until he felt very confident he could handle those sections free. Then there's his concentration the entire time. There's a real danger that after making it past the worst problems, he could let down his guard and make a fatal mistake on an easier section. All in all, this is the most incredible physical feat by a human that I know of.

I liked the comment by one of the other climbers, (paraphrasing) that the average person may be impressed but figure he knows what he's doing, but the elite climbers thought it was insane, or something like that--I forget the quote now.

I also really appreciated the guy on the crew who had to turn away at the trickiest parts, not wanting to see Alex fall, perhaps knowing that he had some part in it just being on the crew.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you Midpack for posting! This is awesome!!
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
Thank you Midpack for posting! This is awesome!!

+1.

I watched it yesterday on Hulu and it was awesome. They did such a good job of showing just how seriously everyone involved took this project and how cognizant they were of the risks.

I've never had that elevated drive or passion for anything. But I admire it when I see or experience it in others.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
+1.

I watched it yesterday on Hulu and it was awesome. They did such a good job of showing just how seriously everyone involved took this project and how cognizant they were of the risks.

I've never had that elevated drive or passion for anything. But I admire it when I see or experience it in others.
Yep, makes my lifelong bucket list look pretty sad...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote