Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBelowMeans View Post
Another good climbing movie is “The Dawn Wall” now playing on Netflix. Tommy Caldwell, the lead climber is interesting.
Just finished watching The Dawn Wall, quite the story.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not “no”, but “HELL NO!”...
I can watch stuff like this. And I will. What I can't watch is cave explorers. The minute they get into constricted areas, I'm done. The claustrophobia kicks in and I can't take it.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
It appears he grew up in a fairly dysfunctional childhood-- he was never hugged and nothing he ever did was good enough. It almost seems if he has a death wish.
I was on a long bike ride and ended up riding with a gal for about 160 miles. In 10 hours of riding you end up talking quite a bit. Turned out the gal is Alex' sister, and from the discussion they actually both seem like pretty well-adjusted kids. I didn't get the sense at all that theirs was a dysfunctional childhood at all.

This was maybe 8 years ago. I'd *heard* of Alex, but it wasn't until several years later that he became really well known.
anonymous_fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coincidentally, I just noted a NY Times book review by a somewhat underwhelmed woman, Blair Braverman, reviewing "The Impossible Climb," a book by Mark Synnott, a friend of Honneld's, subtitled "Alex Honnold, El Capitan and the Climbing Life." The review itself (not the book) casts a rather cold eye on the whole culture (which is overrun with jealousies, competition for money and for fame, etc. As the Russian proverb says, "Everything is mixed, in this world."

The review intrigued me. I think I may try to read the book in combination with the film.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/b...x-honnold.html
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #45

A former office mate at work was a pretty serious rock jock and would try to get in an El Cap climb every summer. He would climb the "standard" routes, use proper climbing equipment and protection and typically take 2-3 days to make it to the top.

Maybe 5-6 years ago, when Alex Honnold was already famous for his free solo ascents, but well before the El Cap climb, I told my friend that what he did sounded a lot like what Honnold did. My friend just laughed and said they weren't even in the same universe - like comparing your typical recreational cyclist to Lance Armstrong (back when it was still cool to admire Lance Armstrong).

As far as the Free Solo movie is concerned, DW and I watched it a few days after seeing The Dawn Wall (on Amazon Prime). Since Tommy Caldwell figures prominently in Free Solo, seeing the Dawn Wall (about his own remarkable recent climb a few years earlier) provides some interesting context to his thoughts and actions in the later movie.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
The review itself (not the book) casts a rather cold eye on the whole culture (which is overrun with jealousies, competition for money and for fame, etc.
I just watched the documentary - enjoyed it - thanks for the recommendation.

In my younger days, I spent a fair amount of time in the mountains (used to live in Denver). I went into the mountains to (1) enjoy their beauty, and (2) get exercise. I only did non-technical climbs. Rightly or wrongly, I viewed the technical climbers as being less-evolved individuals - primarily thrill-seekers and egotists. This documentary merely reinforced my pre-existing bias against technical climbing. Nevertheless, it was well worth watching.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Found one of my old pictures from when I was rappelling on the Nose Route of El Capitan. This was back in the mid 70's when I was probably around 17. The first pitch off of the top is an overhang and we swung over to the anchors.

We spent two days just going down the route. Now they climb it in 4 hours!

Not something I would be doing nowadays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scanned%2520Photos037.jpg (606.2 KB, 30 views)
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Found one of my old pictures from when I was rappelling on the Nose Route of El Capitan. This was back in the mid 70's when I was probably around 17. The first pitch of of the top is an overhang and we swung over to the anchors.

We spent two days just going down the route. Now they climb it in 4 hours!

Not something I would be doing nowadays!

Pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing. I tip my hat to your past adventure. It may not be a free solo, but you’ve done something a limited few have accomplished.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing. I tip my hat to your past adventure. It may not be a free solo, but you’ve done something a limited few have accomplished.

+1.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #50

Something I cannot comprehend. It does not compute. The height draws me towards it, as though I have no control. If I look over a cliff, it feels like a magnet is drawing me to the bottom. This all started on our honeymoon 35 years ago at Mayan ruins. I climbed tiny steps to top of ruin, walked around to the back, not paying attention, and the drop off came out of nowhere, into the rocks in the ocean. It's taken this long for me to feel comfortable on a ledge.

Weird how one experience can change your life.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I saw the doc an believe that that guy is not only an incredible athlete, but also has nerves of steel.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Something I cannot comprehend. It does not compute. The height draws me towards it, as though I have no control. If I look over a cliff, it feels like a magnet is drawing me to the bottom. This all started on our honeymoon 35 years ago at Mayan ruins. I climbed tiny steps to top of ruin, walked around to the back, not paying attention, and the drop off came out of nowhere, into the rocks in the ocean. It's taken this long for me to feel comfortable on a ledge.

Weird how one experience can change your life.
Did you land clear of the rocks or were you stopped from taking that leap?
I don’t know what it is about heights that makes me feel similar.
I also enjoyed the doc. Amazing.
Another great climbing movie (not a doc, but based on a true story) is North Face.
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitLeft View Post
Did you land clear of the rocks or were you stopped from taking that leap?
I don’t know what it is about heights that makes me feel similar.
I also enjoyed the doc. Amazing.
Another great climbing movie (not a doc, but based on a true story) is North Face.
Oh, sorry. I did not fall over. I dropped to my knees, sweating and shaking and crawled down the stairs while other tourists stared at me. I 100% identify with "High Anxiety" the Mel Brooks movie. This is embarrassing. When we went to Yosemite, the road into Yosemite...I was in a fetal position in backseat on the floor with my eyes shut in a panicked state. DH drove calmly and confidently along the road with no guardrails, no shoulder to pull over, campers and trucks coming in the opposite direction on a thin two lane road (that's how I ended up in the backseat on the floor). How he stayed married to me is a mystery. He has no fear of heights.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I saw the doc an believe that that guy is not only an incredible athlete, but also has nerves of steel.
Not to diminish his accomplishments, but I successfully parked in Trader Joe's parking lot today around 5pm.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Free Solo Nat Geo Documentary!!!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #55

Free Solo Nat Geo Documentary!!!

Based on other recommendations in this thread, I’ve now watched The Dawn Wall, Meru, and Valley Uprising. All were just great and my palms were sweating through each one just like Free Solo.
Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 04-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #56

I watched Meru, The Dawn Wall and of course, Free Solo. These young men supersede any super hero. I'm able to concentrate and put myself in their experience (as long as it's on TV or IMAX). In the real world, I'm mush. I guess that's the beauty of imagination.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watched Free Solo but then was afraid that if I tried to get off my sofa I'd plummet to my death.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote