front-load washer -- mold/mildew inevitable?

someguy

Full time employment: Posting here.
We've gone through several front-load washers (always highly-rated) and *always* leave the door wide open when not in use. We clean out the stinky bottom filter and run a tub clean cycle with Afresh tablet monthly. Still, we quickly have mold/mildew accumulating and that dank and nasty smell present. To clarify, all the recent models we've had have the semi-latched position for when not in use where the door is mostly shut but not sealed. We don't use that, we leave the door swung all the way open like you would when loading or unloading.

I like the energy and water efficiency and the gentleness on and cleanness of clothes from front-loaders, but this mildew issue is a major problem.

Anyone have similar experiences, or solutions? If you have a problem-free front-loader, how old is it? Thinking of switching to an HE top-loader.

Last edited:
I have had my first front loader for 4 years located in my garage in FL. I leave the door open a day or two after a load and despite my concerns have not had ANY funk or odors (Samsung). I've only cleaned the filter once and it was very clean after nearly 3 years of use -should probably check it again. I probably average 1.75 loads a week so not heavy use and plenty of time to dry between days of use.

If I had issues, I'd wipe down the gasket after use to dry it but it seems to drain/dry pretty quickly on its own. Don't they make cleaner/sanitizer solutions? Maybe run a cycle with bleach every other week. I do bleach my whites but that is probably a once every month and a half load -mostly towels.

We used to have a problem, but now we wipe out the water that is left in the gasket folds after every wash, wipe the door interior, and leave the door wide open. That has been enough for us... it's a Miele. If the laundry room has otherwise high humidity that could be a contributing factor as well. Good luck.

We have had ours for about 12-13 years. Never had a mold issue, since we always leave the door propped open, about 4-5 inches (except when running, haha).

No help here. I assumed they resolved that issue by now. Eleven yrs ago we went with the He top loader (LG) out of concerns for that and other complaints with the front loaders. I am intrigued by the new laundry tower front load machines, though. How old is the machine you are using now?

No help here. I assumed they resolved that issue by now. Eleven yrs ago we went with the He top loader (LG) out of concerns for that and other complaints with the front loaders. I am intrigued by the new laundry tower front load machines, though. How old is the machine you are using now?

It's about eight years old. We have stayed at short-term rental properties with front loaders that have to be at least that old that don't have this issue. You have to assume those renters aren't nearly as fastidious in maintenance as owners at home would be.

We have never had a mold or mildew issue with our front loader. We do leave the door and soap dispenser tray wide open when not is use and both are next to the wall so they are not in the way. We also never use any chemical cleaning agent and only run the 4-hour hot clean out cycle about every 4-6 months, or so. However, we do live in the desert.

I had the same problem until I left both the door wide open and the detergent/bleach tray open after use. That fixed it for me, but I also live in an arid climate.

I suspect OP lives in a humid climate. I'd try continuing to leave the door and tray open, plus wiping down the rubber door gasket with a washcloth with bleach on it after each use. They sell scented bleaches now at Walmart which don't have as much of the bleach smell.

Mold and mildew are going to continue forever to live in dark, warm, moist places. I think you have to get rid of the environment to get rid of them. Turn on the lights, turn up the A/C, and most importantly, dry it out.

We don't live in a super humid area -- nothing like many parts of FL, for example. I will monitor humidity in laundry area more closely, but do keep an eye on overall indoor humidity (laundry machines are inside) and it generally stays in recommended ranges. That's about 30% relative in winter, under 50% in humidity in summer. Sometimes in the shoulder seasons it gets temporarily above 50% if outdoor temps stay around 70F and neither heat nor AC run much.

If only solution is to always bleach and/or completely dry gasket between every load, we will absolutely switch to HE top load.

I had the same problem until I left both the door wide open and the detergent/bleach tray open after use. That fixed it for me, but I also live in an arid climate.

I suspect OP lives in a humid climate. I'd try continuing to leave the door and tray open, plus wiping down the rubber door gasket with a washcloth with bleach on it after each use. They sell scented bleaches now at Walmart which don't have as much of the bleach smell.

Mold and mildew are going to continue forever to live in dark, warm, moist places. I think you have to get rid of the environment to get rid of them. Turn on the lights, turn up the A/C, and most importantly, dry it out.

Last edited:
We had one for about 14 years, never got mold, but always seemed to have a musty smell until my routine:
Add baking soda to wash, about 1/4 cup, every single time
Wipe out inside of machine, and rubber gasket after use with vinegar/water washcloth
Keep door open when not in use
From Day one it had problems with the drum, company came out frequently under warranty and could never fix it. Probably was a lemon.

Currently have an LG top load HE. Love it. Run a Tub clean with bleach every 3-4 months. Never any problems.

There is a filter that is just before the pump. It has to be cleaned on a regular basis. Not a hard job, but a PIA. We had a Samsung, and a GE over the period of 10 years; same issue. Never was so glad to see it die! We wiped out, used the cleaning tablets, left door open. No mold or mildew but areal bad stink until I started cleaning the filter.

Funny, our first Maytag was purchased in Oct 84 and lasted until 2011, when we replaced it with a freebie Samsung from DW's mom.

We've had our LG front loader for almost 4 years now, and never had any odor problems whatsoever. But after my last load weekly, I dry off the inner door glass, completely dry off the inner gasket folds, and remove and dry the soap dispenser tray and leave it out until the next time I do laundry (once a week). The door stays wide open all week when not in use. I also clean the filter once every 6 months, but there's never much in there. I had heard this was the best defense before buying a front loader, so I've done the above from day one.

We had a front load for a few years. It used to always seem to eventually get musty smelling, even after leaving soap tray and door open, and doing bleach wash as last load.

We ended up switching to a LG Top Load HE washer with no middle agitator. Best washing machine we ever had!

We replaced a top loader with an LG front loader 5 years ago. Our laundry room is inside the house and we've had zero problems with mold/smells even though all we do is prop the door open after use.

Edit: Maybe I should take a look at the filter... :)

We replaced a top loader with an LG front loader 5 years ago. Our laundry room is inside the house and we've had zero problems with mold/smells even though all we do is prop the door open after use.

Edit: Maybe I should take a look at the filter... :)

I'll split the change with you, 75% you, 25% me, from here on out!:LOL:

For those of you with top loaders, did you get the impeller or the agitator? Our front-loader is getting long in the tooth, and I suspect its days are numbered. We will get a top loader next time.

we replaced a top loader with an lg front loader 5 years ago. Our laundry room is inside the house and we've had zero problems with mold/smells even though all we do is prop the door open after use.
+1

edit: Maybe i should take a look at the filter... :)

+1

Samsung front loader 13 years, one day of laundry each week, leave the door wide open when not in use, and remove the soap tray, drain, and leave on top of the unit to dry out until next laundry day. Washer located in sometime smelly basement, but the washer and the front loader before it, never smells. No wiping, special cleaning, etc. and the filter on the bottom has been cleaned maybe three times but there was no evidence of gunk.

What type of detergent do all of you with no problems use? Dry, liquid, pods and if pods, do you put them directly in the washing drum? Are most of your cycles using cold, warm, or hot water? Just trying to find some difference to what we are doing, especially since so many of you just leave the door open while we do that plus clean the lower filter monthly and run the tub clean using chemicals monthly and still have a problem.

What type of detergent do all of you with no problems use? Dry, liquid, pods and if pods, do you put them directly in the washing drum? Are most of your cycles using cold, warm, or hot water? Just trying to find some difference to what we are doing, especially since so many of you just leave the door open while we do that plus clean the lower filter monthly and run the tub clean using chemicals monthly and still have a problem.
I only use liquid detergents in the soap dispenser, but I’ve bought at least three different brands. I use less soap than the detergent makers suggest, most recommend too much (so you have to buy more), and that builds up on your clothes and machine. I use baking soda in the drum and vinegar for rinse with towels and sheets. The cycles I use range from delicate/cold to towels/hot and lots of normal/warm every week. I would think drying the inner fold gasket might help, but I’ve never left it wet so who knows. Your practice of finishing with a bleach load should help. And it could be your particular make/model that’s letting water sit somewhere you can’t see - but I’d think most manufacturers have that sorted these days unless your washer isn’t level?

Last edited:
Every now and then when the washer starts and expels a bit of water (looks to be dumping water held from the last load), we’ll get a nasty smell. Not always. I don’t know why it doesn’t expel all the water it can at the end of the previous cycle. Anyway, it’s not that often but it happens.

We use liquid detergent and we use very little. It just doesn’t take much. Sometimes DW does use vinegar in the fabric softener area of the dispenser. We also do a load with bleach from time to time (when we wash our shower curtain). We also leave the door open for awhile but close it once we figure the seal and such is dried out. I the DW has cleaned out the filter a couple times on the 6 or so years we’ve had this machine.

The first thing I’d do is cut back on the detergent if you’re using too much. It really take very little. I’d also stop using the Afresh for awhile. If nothing else, if it’s not helping, why spend the money. It’s clearly not helping.

Various liquid brands but must be the HE formula. It's only been the last few years that we add vinegar in the bleach dispenser for the color loads and have continually used bleach for the whites.

We've never had issues with mold/mildew in our front loader and we live where it's warm and always somewhat humid to very humid - no AC. We do bleach our whites, so that may help a lot. We never leave the door open which just might be the main source of "spores" or whatever gets mold/mildew growing.

Maybe check Consumer Reports about the issue. Good luck.

For those of you with top loaders, did you get the impeller or the agitator? Our front-loader is getting long in the tooth, and I suspect its days are numbered. We will get a top loader next time.

Our eleven yr old LG does not have an impeller/agitator in the center of the tub. The floor of the tub moves independently from the wall to agitate the water.

Four year old LG front loader in our Florida condo has never had a problem.
Six year old Whirlpool in our home in PA has never had a problem either. We just leave the doors ajar when not in use.

Back
Top Bottom