Frozen Custard

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
DW and I just visited a relatively new Abbotts Custard place here in Tampa. Abbotts is a Rochester, NY company that we discovered when we lived there in the 70s. It was a nostalgic treat to have this stuff again, decades later. I had mint chocolate chip (at 10% butter fat and 1.4% egg yolk, I should have had Statin Fudge Delight).

Then we started talking about Michaels Custard (Cleveland) and the coup-de-grace, all-time best frozen custard in the galaxy, Kopps in Milwaukee (where Happy Days the TV show was set). Carmel cashew was my favorite.

A purist only orders vanilla, it seems. Milwaukee and St. Louis lead the pack. This is not your basic Carvel, Breyers, or whatever ice cream, kids, it's CUSTARD.

This message is banned from the Health forum. Then again, as the erstwhile official public health officer for the board, I approve this message, in small quantities.

When I was in ST Louis this summer I had Ted Drewes. That was some good stuff..

Don't sell custard here in Phoenix that I am aware of. You think it would go over well in the summer.

The only time I had really good custard was at some place in Florida, NY.
Didn't know Florida was in New York, did you?

Free

For those of us who have been wondering what the heck is in frozen custard anyway:
1 quart milk
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. walnuts
1/2 c. chopped figs
1/4 c. maple syrup
Combine all ingredients.
Cook in a double boiler until thick, cool, add half c. each of nuts and figs.
Add one tsp. vanilla extract and put mixture into an ice cream freezer. Freeze as you would ice cream.
I suspect that ain't skim milk, neither...

For those of us who have been wondering what the heck is in frozen custard anyway:

Thanks, Nords.

I'd add that when comparing ice cream to custard, the former has a much higher content of air making it less dense. Custard has <= 20% air IIRC. A health food it's not.

1 quart milk
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. walnuts
1/2 c. chopped figs
1/4 c. maple syrup
Combine all ingredients.
Cook in a double boiler until thick, cool, add half c. each of nuts and figs.
Add one tsp. vanilla extract and put mixture into an ice cream freezer. Freeze as you would ice cream.

Now, that would REALLY put me on a blood sugar roller coaster for the afternoon. Just LOOK at all that sugar, and maple syrup, with just a quart of milk! This recipe doesn't make a huge volume, folks. Sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar :eek:

Now, that would REALLY put me on a blood sugar roller coaster for the afternoon. Just LOOK at all that sugar, and maple syrup, with just a quart of milk! This recipe doesn't make a huge volume, folks. Sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar sugar :eek:

Yeah, but the fat balances it out.

The only time I had really good custard was at some place in Florida, NY.
Didn't know Florida was in New York, did you?

Free
and I've been there! I missed the custard, though. :'(
so is Poland, Mexico, Greece, Norway, Russia, Holland, etc etc. somebody was bored in mapmaking class way back when...:rolleyes:
I was on maps.google.com checking out the NY town=country names. Just for fun, I entered my old hometown address and zoomed in to the max. I was astounded at the detail. :eek: I entered my current address and could see the shadows cast by individual pine trees in the row on one side of my property.

back on topic...that picture of the chocolate frozen custard at the Wikipedia link got me salivating. i'll cook it up on the stove first (raw eggs). i think i just may have to pour this mixture into my homemade ice cream maker. heeeheeheee

and I've been there! I missed the custard, though. :'(
so is Poland, Mexico, Greece, Norway, Russia, Holland, etc etc. somebody was bored in mapmaking class way back when...:rolleyes:
I was on maps.google.com checking out the NY town=country names. Just for fun, I entered my old hometown address and zoomed in to the max. I was astounded at the detail. :eek: I entered my current address and could see the shadows cast by individual pine trees in the row on one side of my property.

Interesting.
Yea, I can't remember the name of the custard place either.

Free

Back
Top Bottom