Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fuego featured in story on CNBC web site
Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fuego featured in story on CNBC web site

Nice to see news about active forum members: How I retired at 33 and so can you
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice! All the naysayers in the comments are pretty funny.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #3

With the usual helping of "this isn't possible" and "there is hidden money somewhere" comments.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Great article, and congratulations to FUEGO for doing such a great job in designing a successful ER at such a young age.

Also, great photo - - what a nice looking family!

I think the comments are full of "sour grapes" written by those who just don't want to LBYM as much as FUEGO and family have done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Nice! All the naysayers in the comments are pretty funny.
OMG. You made me look. (There were a few good comments though. And I would be with them--both of those bloggers made deliberate and well-informed choices that DW and I did not want to make, and we don't regret taking a different path to a much later, but still relatively early, retirement; more power to Justin/Jeremy and their lovely wives though!)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

^^ yes, proud of them!

huge lifestyle inflation victim here, I'm actually about to go look at a c4 vette convertible that I don't need
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Nice article. The comment that had me most disturbed was the one that said:
Quote:
You think that wife will.stsy around on the cheap.u are high. I think I. May travel thee and do her
It suggests that
a) the wife is not a participant in this - and is just hanging around for a paycheck from hubby and just a consumer rather than earning money, saving money, working towards the goal on her end.
b) the wife would have *anything at all* to do with a random stranger on the internet who shows up there to do her. (Is that a threat of rape?) These wives are clearly intelligent and had high incomes of their own - and are just as committed to the ER lifestyle.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

While is it true that FUEGO retired a few years ago, here is his post about his wife working all through 2015:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1700549
Quote:
We had another successful year of negative federal income tax in spite of DW working the whole year in 2015 (since retired).
And for the commenters that asked about healthcare ... this is also explained in the above post.

So ... I must say that the article did not fully explain the entire situation. For instance, despite the mention of SS, FUEGO is paying lots of FICA tax.

BTW, my wife still works, too.

Nevertheless, congrats to FUEGO and lets hope everybody sees the light.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
gone traveling

That's how I found this place, and glad I did.
BobMcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

It suggests that
a) the wife is not a participant in this - and is just hanging around for a paycheck from hubby and just a consumer rather than earning money, saving money, working towards the goal on her end.
b) the wife would have *anything at all* to do with a random stranger on the internet who shows up there to do her. (Is that a threat of rape?) These wives are clearly intelligent and had high incomes of their own - and are just as committed to the ER lifestyle.
That was the worst comment? That was my favorite comment. Not only do Jeremy and I have trophy wives but they also worked (and in my case, worked for 2 years longer than me!).

I haven't added it up, but I bet Mrs. RootofGood and I ended up making about the exact same thing over the course of our lives. She worked full time a little longer than me and ended with a slightly higher salary (but with better benefits) however started her career earning a little less. Between her and I taking time off to care for our 3 kids I'd say we are close enough.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So ... I must say that the article did not fully explain the entire situation. For instance, despite the mention of SS, FUEGO is paying lots of FICA tax.
Rarely does the full story get published. I've done a few podcast interviews across the personal finance/FIRE realm and even during the course of an hour it's not possible to get the full, complete story with details.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It's nice to see you list your blog in your profile here - good job all around!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Fuego! And thanks for sharing your story.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats Fuego !! And congrats to your lovely wife as well !

A well deserved ER, for sure !!
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

It suggests that
I found that comment (not yours) sad and offensive for this forum. First time I have cringed in the forum. Glad to see it has been removed.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Ut Oh... are we going to have to debate if he really is retired since he is blogging like MMM

It did not say if Fuego makes money, but it did say the other guy makes $40K which is his expenses... so he is not using his 'stash'...

But, congrats Fuego on retiring so young... I will send this link to my son...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

FUEGO, congrats to you and your bride on your major milestone! ! I retired this year at 58 and it truly is what it's cracked up to be. I met Jeremy in Ecuador last year and he's nothing like the commenters are trying to paint him. Amusing and sad at the same time.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Nice article and a nice family. Good to see our community painted in a positive light in the national press.

I also (insert evil laugh) sent a link to it to my hyper-consumer co-worker who is currently cornering the market on baby supplies for her new addition. She came to my door and say that the article made her sad. LOL! That's my job, after all, reminding them that these are choices. Glad I could use Fuego as an example.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
... She came to my door and say that the article made her sad. ....
Wow. Given the nature of your profession (and, presumably hers?), that is truly sad!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

That she's a looooong way from early retirement. She's also in her 20s, FWIW, and I guess until I pointed this article out, she thought ER meant 50. Heh heh heh.

She's plenty smart (CFA, no less) but very "nice house, new car, cute outfits". A perfect foil for me, lol.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote