Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #61
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Spotted on a blog: 'escape goat'.

Seen in various venues: 'turned 360 degrees'
(after all, 360 is bigger than 180; so it must be a bigger shift in position/opinion).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
My pet peeve, in addition to the already mentioned "I could care less" is "irregardless". Unfortunately, I think it is becoming more acceptable, but it makes my skin crawl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
When I see (or hear) that abomination, my brain turns off and I stop reading (or listening). It's a double negative.
per webster, it may not be prefurd, but itsa wurd:

Quote:
Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\ Function: adverb Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless Date: circa 1912 nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
that's one of the joys of english: it changes with time & usage. even some grammar has changed a bit since chomsky (ya gotta wonder if he texts). placement of periods and quotation marks change even with the whim of what looks balanced & fashionable at the time. is it ." or ". today? this language like these people is not static but vibrant and alive.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Youse guys!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a guy tell me about his "Cadillac converter" when trying to explain his "catalytic converter."
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
all y'alls

At work, an email was sent to all saying that someone was going to be out on sick leave because of surgery for 'carpool tunnel' problems.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #66

People who worry about this crap Ya'all best get er done n proper and complain some mores
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #67

I am irritated by any use of the useless word various.

Also, .10 cents. Really? So if I got ten the price would be a penny? Oh.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
One of my favorite eggcorns is "Silicone Valley." It leads to all kinds of questions:

2) What does Silicone Valley look like?
Silicon Valley looks like the original - but bigger, firmer with more robust peaks. No fun to hike on - the ground is too hard. An then, depending on your perspective, some think the peaks look a bit off center...

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I am irritated by any use of the useless word various.
how about statovarius?

you must have a heart attack whenever you see so many various and sundry miscellaneous items being strewn about.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
In a slightly different vein, I am mourning the loss of the adverbial form from modern American English. Apple's motto of "Think different" is the most prominent example I can think of. I always want it to be "Think differently".

2Cor521
That's the most prevalent mistake. Heard on on NBC nightly news last night -- they should know better.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Silicon Valley looks like the original - but bigger, firmer with more robust peaks. No fun to hike on - the ground is too hard. An then, depending on your perspective, some think the peaks look a bit off center...
-
Yo, dude, ya mean Mt. Tam?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's the most prevalent mistake. Heard on on NBC nightly news last night -- they should know better.
what's the, um, difference? webster shows different or differently as adverbially similar.
Quote:
Main Entry: dif·fer·ent·ly Pronunciation: \ˈdi-fərnt-lē, ˈdi-f(ə-)rənt-\ Function: adverb Date: 14th century 1 : in a different manner

Main Entry: 2different Function: adverb Date: 1744 : differently

Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #75

The "turning 360 degrees" comment made me think of another I heard long ago and may have already posted elsewhere here: a radio ad for a circa 1980 discotheque with a "SUPERSONIC SOUND SYSTEM". (hmm.. so it's inaudible?)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman View Post
"My bad" drives me crazy. Where the heck did that come from anyway?

My father in-law refers to my hosta plants as 'hospice'. Cracks me up !

- John
I wish "my bad" would go back to wherever it came from. Oops! That sentence ends with a preposition!

There are some 'hospice' plants just outside my office window.

Have heard "chrysanthemum" pronounced "chrysantheum". I suppose that is not such a bad thing.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I wish "my bad" would go back to wherever it came from...
"My bad" drives me crazy, too. I keep waiting for the noun. I would mind "Me bad" less.

The word "gift" used as a verb also does not settle well with me, for example "We gifted her with a car". What's wrong with "We gave her a car" or "We gave her a car as a gift"? Too long, I suppose, but I have time to listen/read.

I puzzle or amuse people with some of my pronunciations, though, so I suppose I can take these two annoyances in stride.

(I want one erotically running lawnmower. It will make mowing so much more fun!

I also want an escape goat. With peak oil now or soon upon us, I want one that'll provide milk and transport me to where I wanna go.

Story: My ex-BF had a picture of me on his desk at work. The janitor came late in the day and said it was cool that his GF was ornamental. )
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I am not a native English speaker and I make plenty of grammatical mistakes myself, so I have no right to criticize other people, but when someone says "you and I" (ex. between you and I) when it is supposed to be "you and me", it really annoys me.

It is interesting that I went through TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) in my early years and they always had questions on

picture of mine or picture of me
different from or different than

but I realize now that it doesn't matter which way you say it since many people (US born) say "picture of me" and most people say "different than".
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
A Poem
Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #79

A Poem

I liked this poem which Garrison Keillor read this week during "The Writer's Almanac" on NPR:

Windows Is Shutting Down

By Clive James

Windows is shutting down, and grammar are
On their last leg. So what am we to do?
A letter of complaint go just so far,
Proving the only one in step are you.

Better, perhaps, to simply let it goes.
A sentence have to be screwed pretty bad
Before they gets to where you doesnt knows
The meaning what it must of meant to had.

The meteor have hit. Extinction spread,
But evolution do not stop for that.
A mutant languages rise from the dead
And all them rules is suddenly old hat.

Too bad for we, us what has had so long
The best seat from the only game in town.
But there it am, and whom can say its wrong?
Those are the break. Windows is shutting down.

(Guardian, April 27, 2005)
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
"My bad" drives me crazy, too. I keep waiting for the noun. I would mind "Me bad" less...

The word "gift" used as a verb also does not settle well with me, for example "We gifted her with a car". What's wrong with "We gave her a car" or "We gave her a car as a gift"? Too long, I suppose, but I have time to listen/read.
i like "my bad." i think it allows people to more readily take responsibility for their actions. its cuteness takes some edge off claiming blame without being so threatening that the one at fault might avoid upholding their own or otherwise shrug it off.

according to webster, gift has been a verb since circa 1550. so get used to it already: your bad.

Quote:
Main Entry: 2gift Function: transitive verb Date: circa 1550 1 : to endow with some power, quality, or attribute 2 : present <generously gifted us with a copy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I am not a native English speaker...

picture of mine or picture of me

but I realize now that it doesn't matter which way you say it since many people (US born) say "picture of me"
let me see if i can clarify this by confusing you more.

a picture of mine is my picture as in it is a picture which i possess.

a picture of me is my picture as in i am the person in the picture.