Funny/annoying grammatical mistakes and odd neologisms

I am driven crazy when I see people confuse its with it's, and they're with their.

The following story is not about a grammatical error, nor a neologism. But it certainly suggests that the perpetrator badly failed her middle school geometry.

A national network TV anchor was reporting on an airplane crash. She emphasized the fact that some witnesses had reported strong winds as the aircraft was landing.

She said that "the trees were blown perpendicular to the ground"!

Ossalator: An osculator who oscillates? An oscillator who osculates?

PS. "Osalator" is a trade name!

Once the department secretary compiled a list of office equipment cereal numbers.

Sorry to have to break to you, but titles to posts should be capitalized. :)

even if the words in every sentence are not and there is little if any punctuation so there is no way to discern where one sentence starts and another begins this is one of my pet peeves it drives me crazy when i see a post that has neither capitalization or punctuation this is not an im board please take the time to make your posts readable if you expect others to take the time to read them to make it easier here are free punctuations marks for your use ;:'"[{]}\|=+-_)(*&^%$#@!`~ please feel free to copy them and use them in your posts along with the shift key it is the one with the up arrow on it on the lower left hand side of your keyboard it turns lower case letters into upper case letters thank you and have a nice day

even if the words in every sentence are not and there is little if any punctuation so there is no way to discern where one sentence starts and another begins this is one of my pet peeves it drives me crazy when i see a post that has neither capitalization or punctuation this is not an im board please take the time to make your posts readable if you expect others to take the time to read them to make it easier here are free punctuations marks for your use ;:'"[{]}\|=+-_)(*&^%$#@!`~ please feel free to copy them and use them in your posts along with the shift key it is the one with the up arrow on it on the lower left hand side of your keyboard it turns lower case letters into upper case letters thank you and have a nice day
O'tay!!!!!
With fond regards,

Buckwheat

and use a new paragraph once in a while too too many people just keep rambling on without starting a new paragraph and another thing keep answers short and to the point i see many people going off on tangents and trying to answer questions that are not even asked obviously there are a lot of it depends type answers that warrant a more detailed explanation if but people had to cover and spell out every possible scenario we would be here all day i don't know about you but when i see very long posts i tend either to skim over them in which case paragraphs become very important or i do not read them at all.

and use a new paragraph once in a while too too many people just keep rambling on without starting a new paragraph and another thing keep answers short and to the point i see many people going off on tangents and trying to answer questions that are not even asked obviously there are a lot of it depends type answers that warrant a more detailed explanation if but people had to cover and spell out every possible scenario we would be here all day i don't know about you but when i see very long posts i tend either to skim over them in which case paragraphs become very important or i do not read them at all.

i agree and feel the same way about posts that have a half dozen or more links to obscure internet articles in them i almost never click on the links or end up just skimming over the post usually a single link to a credible source is a more effective to make a point do you agree maybe we could move on to the pros and cons of threadjacking next it doesnt particularly bother me because the op can always take it back ontrack and we need to keep in mind that we are all here for entertainment while we are learning about the finer points of fire, bacon and beavercheese oops it looked like i may have inadvertantly threadjacked this away from grammatical pet peeves

You go to orientation to be oriented, not orientated!!!!!!!!! Whew, that felt great, thanks OP.

Just heard a guy on TV talking about how his house had cost an "exuberant amount of money."

Liked that one.

To his seller, it was!

I find it interesting that college educated people who keep using loose when they mean to use lose. Why don't these same people say when I was in collage?

"it was difficult to breath"

It's BREATHE!

I recall a coworker using 'bath' as a verb: to bath the baby.

Just saw this one in another thread, and it reminded me that I've seen/heard it and other mutations of it before.

The jest of the situation is...

Back
Top Bottom