Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Funny or Sad
Old 01-24-2023, 07:56 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny or Sad

So I dropped into a friends Pub for a quick beer and say hello. I'm sitting at the far end of the bar, a guy in his mid 30s is next to me. Farther down sits 2 young ladies, the one looks like a teenager, but has a beer. Them 2 are laughing and carrying on, having a good time... Then I watch the young one raise up her arm and talks to her watch... I had to laugh and say " I finally got to meet Dick Tracy"
The guy next to me says Who...
The older girl stands up and scream WHAT DID YOU SAY!
So I repeat myself saying her friend reminded me of Dick Tracy....
She then threatens to call the cops because she thought I was sexually harassing them.... The owner comes to my rescue, but they still don't believe the story..
Now heres the part were I fell of my stool and nearly wet myself and had to leave...

She raises her hand up and asked her watch... "Who's Dick Tracy"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2023, 08:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
So I dropped into a friends Pub for a quick beer and say hello. I'm sitting at the far end of the bar, a guy in his mid 30s is next to me. Farther down sits 2 young ladies, the one looks like a teenager, but has a beer. Them 2 are laughing and carrying on, having a good time... Then I watch the young one raise up her arm and talks to her watch... I had to laugh and say " I finally got to meet Dick Tracy"
The guy next to me says Who...
The older girl stands up and scream WHAT DID YOU SAY!
So I repeat myself saying her friend reminded me of Dick Tracy....
She then threatens to call the cops because she thought I was sexually harassing them.... The owner comes to my rescue, but they still don't believe the story..
Now heres the part were I fell of my stool and nearly wet myself and had to leave...

She raises her hand up and asked her watch... "Who's Dick Tracy"
Such is the world we live in. Talking to her watch is much easier than carrying on a real conversation that might reveal her lack of intelligence.

I say SAD.

VW
Old 01-24-2023, 08:02 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WOW! I think it is funny as it gets. On the other hand, something so innocent can turn into something like that. So, sad how the world has come to the point where everyone feels some sort of getting even.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Great story.

Gotta be careful. Know your environment. Of course that gets more difficult as we age.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Such is the world we live in. Talking to her watch is much easier than carrying on a real conversation that might reveal her lack of intelligence.

I say SAD.

VW
What makes you assume she's unintelligent? The fact that she doesn't know about a character comic strip that stopped running in 1977? Considering she might have been born in the 21st century, I wouldn't expect her to know it. I remember references from my childhood, but I don't think I've heard any in the last 20 or 25 years. (The movie was released 33 years ago.)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:31 AM   #6

What you said was not out of line at all. Innocent comment taken out of context.

If these ladies spend much time in bars in the future (especially during the later hours) they will get an opportunity to hear a lot of language that is truly offensive. I hope they're careful.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:40 AM   #7

Perhaps some govt agency should change all the references to Richard Tracy…..
Old 01-24-2023, 08:41 AM   #8

It may be that the name "Dick" has sexual connotations to these young women, which furthered the misunderstanding. Rick is currently used as a nickname for Richard, and they may have never even heard "Dick" used as a legit name.

I say sign of the times.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
What makes you assume she's unintelligent? The fact that she doesn't know about a character comic strip that stopped running in 1977? Considering she might have been born in the 21st century, I wouldn't expect her to know it. I remember references from my childhood, but I don't think I've heard any in the last 20 or 25 years. (The movie was released 33 years ago.)
Yes. It's not her limited frame of reference that's the problem. Like the "let's laugh at a teenager who doesn't know how to dial a rotary phone" videos of a few years ago. I don't know how to shoe a horse. The sickening aspect is her lack of knowledge of her lack of knowledge and the knee-jerk reaction to.......:

A) assume malice

B) feel righteous at being offended as if being offended is the only thing that could be going on without even understanding the situation and feeling no need to understand it. And ....

C) .... hate the source of the thing she doesn't understand and feel no need to know about and punish it.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

I say SAD.

VW
I think it's sad you assume she is unintelligent just because she has a new piece of technology.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If you aren't aware of current thinking on incel, innuendo and harrassment, it might be a good idea to engage in friendly banter with younger folks, other generations.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Good thing she didn't call the cops, she might have been underage for drinking and had a fake ID.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:48 AM   #13

If she had been talking on her shoe she would have appeared smarter.....
Old 01-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Old 01-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We are living in the land of snowflakes. Ugh!!!
Old 01-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If you aren't aware of current thinking on incel, innuendo and harrassment, it might be a good idea to engage in friendly banter with younger folks, other generations.

Thatís a good suggestion. Rather dope in fact.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:06 AM   #17

Sad, in that they seem to be so sensitive and so quick to take offence. I see it all the time these days - everyone in that generation seems so coiled and ready to spring into attack mode over the smallest perceived slight.
..."right, chief"
Old 01-24-2023, 10:08 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

..."right, chief"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I don't think that they'd get the reference to Get Smart either
Old 01-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
Sad, in that they seem to be so sensitive and so quick to take offence. I see it all the time these days - everyone in that generation seems so coiled and ready to spring into attack mode over the smallest perceived slight.
That will change once they have to move out of dad's house and pay their own bills.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:13 AM   #20

If the young lady's name happened to be Tracy, I can also see how her reaction might be a little bit justified.

I would venture to guess that 90% of people born since 1990 have no idea that Dick Tracy spoke into a wrist watch. Perhaps more. Most may not even know who Dick Tracy was.
Closed Thread