Funny thing happened last night

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We went out to dinner last night - Mom, DW and I, and had a most enjoyable time. The service was a bit slow, and that might have bothered us, but we were distracted by my shoe, which broke and fell off. Literally, as you can see by the attached image. The bottom sole broke in 2 and the inner sole fell off. The people at the table next to us thought it was the funniest thing and took pictures. The restaurant staff all peeked from a distance but the busboy at our table couldn't stay away or stop laughing. When we left I walked out in my socks, both shoes in a bag. Nobody noticed..

Attachments

• shoe fail.jpg
    shoe fail.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 25
Regretfully this is not an example of LBYM. It a premature product failure. We will see if the "satisfaction guarantee" is real, as I emailed them this morning.

Be a trend setter.

Keep the tops, put strap on bottom, use them as spats. Gets you some more mileage.

Clark's were the rage when I was a teen, so I had them. I always assumed they were a decent brand/value, though I haven't owned any in 40 years. However, DW just bought a pair recently, we'll see how they hold up.

That is bizarre indeed, must have been fun to deal with until you got home again.

I hope your unshod foot was not so fragrant as to have an impact on the chef's seasonings.

I hope Clark will make good on it. Let us know as I will be happy to join in the Occupy Clark Shoes movement (or I guess Don't Occupy would be more appropriate).

So how does it feel to be The Incredible Hulk? He blew out his shoes every time he changed from Bruce Banner!

If you were still in the workplace, we'd term you a foot dragger:D

Looks like something a couple strips of duct tape could fix up at least to get you home. Hope you get some action from the Clarks folks on the shoe problem.

I used to wear Clarks sandals like the ones below, 25 years ago when I lived in Texas. I presume that is the same company. Anyway, I had the same problem with mine. The synthetic, rubbery soles get brittle with age and break after some time. This was true even with unworn Clarks, three pairs of which I had bought on sale and saved for several years until I needed them. They were fine when I bought them, but crumbling and brittle when I got them out of the closet to wear after the first pair wore out. Getting them on sale turned out to be a false savings for me.

Good luck on getting some reimbursement from Clarks! I should have tried that but didn't. Instead, I switched from Clarks sandals to Birkenstocks.

Attachments

• 1082894-p-DETAILED.jpg
    1082894-p-DETAILED.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I just spoke with Clarks customer service. They said they would replace the shoes with a pair of my choosing, just give them style and size (and a couple of options). Can't beat that. The rep went on to say the issue was I wasn't using the shoes often enough so the soles dried up and cracked. Go figure. Made in Portugal. The rep was so quick with the response it must be a common thing.

Thanks for the other responses. Duct tape, trend setter, lost soles, incredible hulk and the others - funny. No, Feever, there were no accusations of malodorous intent. Gotta wear shoes at least twice a month. I have now identified the first real downside to FIRE.

Interesting reason (excuse) for sole falure. If the soles were leather or rubber where there is an oil in the material that might fly, but synthetic within 5 years? I worked for a shoe mfg years ago a learned that the first shoes if a design often have flaws because it takes the factory a while to get the right combination of glue and temperature to get it right. Subcontractors who provide the soles sometimes have production problems too. I have attended a couple meetings between CSRs and Production where issues were iorned out.

I just spoke with Clarks customer service. They said they would replace the shoes with a pair of my choosing, just give them style and size (and a couple of options). Can't beat that. The rep went on to say the issue was I wasn't using the shoes often enough so the soles dried up and cracked. Go figure. Made in Portugal. The rep was so quick with the response it must be a common thing.

Sounds like a good outcome and well worth contacting the company.

powerplay said:
Sounds like a good outcome and well worth contacting the company.

+1

I judge a company more on their response to a problem than even the initial product to begin with.

OMG, you mean I have to quit hoarding shoes I buy most foot ware 3 pairs at a time at the online closeout sites.:facepalm:

I used to wear Clarks sandals like the ones below, 25 years ago when I lived in Texas. I presume that is the same company. Anyway, I had the same problem with mine. The synthetic, rubbery soles get brittle with age and break after some time. This was true even with unworn Clarks, three pairs of which I had bought on sale and saved for several years until I needed them. They were fine when I bought them, but crumbling and brittle when I got them out of the closet to wear after the first pair wore out. Getting them on sale turned out to be a false savings for me.

Good luck on getting some reimbursement from Clarks! I should have tried that but didn't. Instead, I switched from Clarks sandals to Birkenstocks.

The rep went on to say the issue was I wasn't using the shoes often enough so the soles dried up and cracked. Go figure. Made in Portugal. The rep was so quick with the response it must be a common thing.
I wasn't aware that there was a required periodicity for shoe lubrication. I wonder if 5W-30 is appropriate or if they use a heavier grade?

It's sad. Another story of a lost sole.
You've been waiting waaaaay too long to use that one...

Here's our sample shoe closet:

Attachments

• Rubbah slippahs.jpg
    Rubbah slippahs.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 63
OMG, you mean I have to quit hoarding shoes I buy most foot ware 3 pairs at a time at the online closeout sites.:facepalm:

Well, only if they are womens' Clark sandals and if they are on sale at $2/pair... not a very common event even 25 years ago. :D But maybe they were really old or something. I have had good luck buying Birkenstocks from online closeout sites.

The rep went on to say the issue was I wasn't using the shoes often enough so the soles dried up and cracked.

Similar problems are frequently seen on tires of infrequently used RV's and trailers. Synthetic rubber needs frequent 'exercise' to maintain flexibility and delay becoming brittle. Those who insist tires will last indefinitely if stored away from sunlight need to walk a mile in W2R's sandals. :)

"Use it or lose it..."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom