Join Early Retirement Today

Gallop Panel - Take the bribe and run or take the bribe and get sucked in?
Old 11-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gallop Panel - Take the bribe and run or take the bribe and get sucked in?

I just received $5 in cash from the Gallop Panel.

I can pocket the $5 and call them a sucker. Or I can be the sucker and start filling out Gallop Polls for small rewards each time.

Don't think I've ever been selected before. Question to the folks who have gone down the poll taking route, are those polls long with a lot of questions?

If they are about 20 questions each, then no biggy. But if about 50, the the question is who is suckering who?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did they tell you you would be a perpetual askee? Does this in fact get you on their list of "regulars"? I was an A.C. Nielson "family" once back in the 80's. It was a one shot deal. They just keep searching for new specimens every time.

What would be your objection to being a Gallup regular? Just more junk mail and "work" every few weeks? I could go either way with it.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Did they tell you you would be a perpetual askee? Does this in fact get you on their list of "regulars"? I was an A.C. Nielson "family" once back in the 80's. It was a one shot deal. They just keep searching for new specimens every time.

What would be your objection to being a Gallup regular? Just more junk mail and "work" every few weeks? I could go either way with it.
Can be a member for as long as I wish, as long as I participate at least a few times a year. So, I guess, can quit anytime.

Says only takes about 10-15 minutes each poll. But I've seen polls (not from Gallup) that say 10-15 but then takes about 30-40 mins. That is the objection where polls can take up too much time to feel like a chore (no matter how much small rewards I get) .

I'll probably sign up with the thought to quit anytime.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
But I've seen polls (not from Gallup) that say 10-15 but then takes about 30-40 mins. That is the objection where polls can take up too much time to feel like a chore
Yes, that's something to be aware of. I have only been subjected to that once. Got a call about 7 or 8 years ago from Quinnipiac, which is an extremely reputable polling operation. I didn't get anything but satisfaction from having my voice heard, and it was at least half an hour on the phone with the pollster. Good questions, but a great many of them.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #5

I was not aware that Gallop PAID people to participate. Seems like a conflict of interest to me.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #6

They need to figure out the streaming numbers.
The guy has been to my door a few times to get me to sign up, have not seen him in a while though. My standard excuse of I don't watch cable or pay for any services only made him more interested.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
Administrator

The $5 is freely given, so take it with no concern. I’d answer the survey and if it becomes a burden, walk away.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The $5 is freely given, so take it with no concern. I’d answer the survey and if it becomes a burden, walk away.
Certainly. I used to get a $5 bill in the mail regularly from the WSJ to fill out a survey. They worded it nicely: "If you don't have use for this, perhaps it can brighten the day of a child you know."
IOW, they wanted to throw just enough guilt at you to get you fill out their survey form.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's an unsolicited gift, do with it what you want.

The only time I can remember something similar to happen to us was a few years ago from the USPS. We bit, and filled out a series of forms that monitored our mail content/type for a few weeks. We were rewarded with about $50 of postage stamps.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Many moons ago, Apple (back in the Steve Jobs, pre OS 10 days) include a $1 bill in a letter. I forget why, if that was for a survey or what? I guess with the cost in inflation, $1 today would seem cheap so $5 is the going rate .
Old 12-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Cha Ching!

I just earned a $1 gift card from filling out another Gallop Panel poll .

Took about 5-10 minutes to fill out.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Cha Ching!

With this windfall I expect you'll be posting in the "BTD" thread.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
With this windfall I expect you'll be posting in the "BTD" thread.
I'm actually filling the panel polls not for the windfall, but don't mind being a guinea pig for this.

Must admit though, if no small gift incentive, might depart sooner than there being one.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cha Ching!

Six to 12 dollars an hour. Tax free, no doubt. You scoundrel!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh and here I used to feel guilty about peeling the stamps from the return envelope for some charity. (Or taking the nickel or dime some charities asked you to return with a contribution.)

$5 - take it or try it. But I'd be "outta there" as soon as they asked ME for any significant financial or personal info. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote