Join Early Retirement Today

Garage Door help
Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Garage Door help

This forum has been a huge help to me as I have transformed myself from a happy and careless condo dweller into a soon to be broke owner of a 40 year old nightmarehome

I have put off replacing my garage door, but the 1970's styling along with the rotting parts is really getting to my wife.

So I have a quote, which seems high to me, I thought I would ask the more seasoned homeowners here. It's a Raynor door, steel (r12 insulation value), new tracks and hardware, and install for $1800 which includes removing and disposal of the old door. This is for a 2 car garage (one door) with windows.

Is that in the right ballpark?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

New construction I am paying $1400 for two all steel single doors. Thanks for the reminder I need to call them today with CC info. The sizes on mine are not standard 9 wide 8 tall which required special ordering. Bought mine through Overhead door Overhead Door Systems | Residential Garage Doors. They have a good reputation in my area. $1800 for a double door does not sound way out of line for replacement. I would get another quote to set your mind at ease.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
It's a Raynor door, steel (r12 insulation value), new tracks and hardware, and install for $1800 which includes removing and disposal of the old door. This is for a 2 car garage (one door) with windows.

Yes, that's a good price. Does it include re-installation of your existing opener? You'd probably want them to do that as well, as there can be issues (clearance for the actuating rail, binding of the door, etc) and if one company does it all, there's no finger pointing.

Also, you may need to decide if you want them to put the handles on the outside (so many folks now have openers that many installers don't put the handles on the outside in order to achieve a "cleaner" look). I had them put the handles on mine.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you don't put handles on the outside, then sometime when there's a power outage, someone will close the door with her fingers between the panels, and get them severely pinched.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

On a side note, how often and what do you use to keep the squeaks down on the track, spray dry silicon spray on the rollers and tracks??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
On a side note, how often and what do you use to keep the squeaks down on the track, spray dry silicon spray on the rollers and tracks??
I think white lithium grease is the lube of choice for this application. The spray-on stuff is easy to use.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If you don't put handles on the outside, then sometime when there's a power outage, someone will close the door with her fingers between the panels, and get them severely pinched.
OR... the end chopped off like my mom did!!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So I have a quote, which seems high to me, I thought I would ask the more seasoned homeowners here. It's a Raynor door, steel (r12 insulation value), new tracks and hardware, and install for $1800 which includes removing and disposal of the old door. This is for a 2 car garage (one door) with windows.
Holy cow, fly them out here when you're done. I'll still be ahead on local prices.

Have you asked what happens to the steel shell when a basketball hits it at full force, followed shortly by two teenagers? Of course you may not have that problem, but wood handles that situation a lot better... admittedly at a lower insulation value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Another vote here for handles. I've had too many torsion bars & springs break to live without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think white lithium grease is the lube of choice for this application. The spray-on stuff is easy to use.
I used that for years, but the last couple garage-door repair guys have recommended any ol' silicon spray. Apparently the grease is prone to attracting dirt and gunking up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Holy cow, fly them out here when you're done. I'll still be ahead on local prices.

Quote:
Have you asked what happens to the steel shell when a basketball hits it at full force, followed shortly by two teenagers? Of course you may not have that problem, but wood handles that situation a lot better... admittedly at a lower insulation value.
That'swhy I have a TWO-SIDED steel door, windproof up to 80 mph............can't find a teenager warranty though.........

Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just put in a nice new door, brand new tracks, hardware, etc.

Was $700 for one car garage, so seems you are not too far off. Do it, and breath easier, I know I did.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #11

I had the Overhead Door guys here about 6 weeks ago to install a new steel (inside and out) insulated door....single car (9'x7'). No opener....handle on the outside. New door and track with installation, and removal/disposal of the old door and track was $920.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Well Nords, I'll be in Oahu in early December. Let me see if I can bring one in my checked baggage

I have a long time before I have to worry about teenagers. Right now I'm more worried about insulation value considering what my heating bills were last winter.

Ok, so it seems like $1800 isn't that bad of a deal. Now I just need to decide whether I scratch the windows and save $350?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
... Now I just need to decide whether I scratch the windows and save $350?
Sounds like a lot of $$ for windows that IMHO detract from the appearance of most garage doors -- I've never understood why the mfg even offers them...
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Keep in mind that there are usualy 2 sizes of double garage doors, the 14" and the 16'. Average price difference starts at around $150.00 to $400.00 depending on quality and options.
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Sounds like a lot of $$ for windows that IMHO detract from the appearance of most garage doors -- I've never understood why the mfg even offers them...
Screw the windows, why give the young kids in the neighborhood a target to aim baseballs at? For $350,you can out a LOT of nice lights in the garage.........and use CFL's too..........

Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

On sale at lowes the next few weeks, in the current sale flyer on lowes.com

Reliabilt® 850 Series Insulated Steel Carriage House Style Garage Door

Financing* Free Insulation Upgrade*

$659.96 - $1303.94 thru Oct 14

•25-year limited warranty
•Affordable carriage house styling
•Decorative handles and decorative strap hinges included
•Smooth vinyl-back construction
•Durable and reliable operation
•Child-safe, finger-protecting door panels
•Available through Special Order
Available in sandtone, almond, or white and with optional window designs.
*See offer on this page for details.
Installed without windows 8 x 7 $659.96 add to shopping list
Installed without windows 9 x 7 $678.07 add to shopping list
Installed without windows 16 x 7 $1046.78 add to shopping list
Installed with windows 8 x 7 $788.73 add to shopping list
Installed with windows 9 x 7 $806.84 add to shopping list
Installed with windows 16 x 7 $1303.94 add to shopping list
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Right now I'm more worried about insulation value considering what my heating bills were last winter.
Ok, so it seems like $1800 isn't that bad of a deal. Now I just need to decide whether I scratch the windows and save $350?
I think you've answered your question-- I bet garage-door windows don't have a very high R-rating.

Are these the windows that a burglar would look through to figure out if the cars are in the garage and whether there are any pit-bull feeding bowls?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #18

Go ahead and get the windows, most are double glazed.

Nifty trick I tried. Get a little aquarium and attach to inside of windows. Get a Fresnel lens and put one little shark fish in the tank. The lens will make it seem like a 15 ft Great White is in your garage.

Scares off burglars.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote