Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2023, 05:38 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Your solution is very frugal, however, I hope you know that they make an emergency release kit that attaches to that cord that uses a lock and key to access the release cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Genie-GER-R-E...05LLC3TY&psc=1
And here I was thinking that I had an original idea!!

Moot now as our new house has an attached garage and we're also hooked up with MyQ.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Looks like keypad is the cheapest way to go. IDK what is wrong with the front door on closer inspection.
Are you sure you can find a compatible key pad? Our opener is at least 22 years old and when I was having trouble with the keypad, I couldn't find a replacement, even on amazon or ebay. Called the garage door company and was told they no longer make any parts for systems that don't have the electronic eye thing. Can't remember when that became mandatory, but if your opener is 25 yrs old guessing it doesn't have that. Turns out my problem was that some numbers on the keypad were worn out. Changed the code and it works fine now.
CincyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:26 AM   #43

Forget Amazon. Keep an eye out on ebay and a good used one is bound to come up for sale sooner or later.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:36 AM   #44

I think I found the keypad. I just haven't ordered it because I was trying to figure out why the front door is so hard to get in. The lever barely moves when trying to enter (even with 2 hands) and yet to it is simple to exit the house with no effort. Surely little used handles don't wear out? Lock is pretty good though I added some graphite.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #45

Take it apart, check to see what's worn, lubricate and reassemble.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

This keypad works for our 31 yo Craftsman door opener from Amazon.

Chamberlain Group Clicker Keyless Entry KLIK2U-P2, Works with Chamberlain, LiftMaster, Craftsman, Genie and More, Security +2.0 Compatible Garage Door Opener Keypad, White https://a.co/d/4RMrdmQ
Piper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:10 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not to be disclosing any detail for National Security reasons, such as pan tilt zoom etc., but we have sensors and cameras to detect for security with our alarm system. For years in other homes I have always put in a secret nail in the siding to push for activating a switch to open the garage door. Pretty handy, low cost, no batteries required and who ever can figure that out would be smarter to break a window. We have a keypad mounted for show, confuses everyone I am sure. One could use two nails connected each to the two wires and simply touch across them instead of a spring loaded switch, but then again I think keypads are well over rated, and complicated.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
garage door opener keypads - disguise, lock?
Old 01-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

garage door opener keypads - disguise, lock?

I’ve always thought if someone wants to break into my home, there is no way to stop them. I think they’d most like go to the rear of the home and break a window. So I keep cameras around all easy access windows and doors, and try to keep the place looking lived in with light timers. I use a garage door keypad, my iPhone and integrated remotes in my car to access the garage, but that is for my convenience.
We also have landscape lighting all around the house.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:53 PM   #49

Over the past several weeks, I've been turning our home into a smart home. Lots of switches have already been replaced. At first, I just wanted to do two or three. After using them for a few days and seeing the benefits, I went hog wild - have about 15 installed now and more on the way.

Taking things further, today I received the smart garage door opener - this will likely solve your problem as well. It was $79 ($99 plus $20 off coupon at this time), and installation took maybe 20 minutes. Just connect their two wires into the same places as your current opener wires go. You could throw away your remote if you want. You can use their mobile app, or "Hey Google, open the garage door". It also includes video (local storage) and remote live feed. No need for the keypad any longer.

For $79, I was pretty impressed with the capabilities.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PRCKKWJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage.jpg (75.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2023_01_22_21_00_44.jpg (57.4 KB, 27 views)
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:55 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Over the past several weeks, I've been turning our home into a smart home. Lots of switches have already been replaced. At first, I just wanted to do two or three. After using them for a few days and seeing the benefits, I went hog wild - have about 15 installed now and more on the way.

Taking things further, today I received the smart garage door opener - this will likely solve your problem as well. It was $79 ($99 plus $20 off coupon at this time), and installation took maybe 20 minutes. Just connect their two wires into the same places as your current opener wires go. You could throw away your remote if you want. You can use their mobile app, or "Hey Google, open the garage door". It also includes video (local storage) and remote live feed. No need for the keypad any longer.

For $79, I was pretty impressed with the capabilities.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PRCKKWJ
I have a couple of eufy camera's I like their resolution.

Could someone stand outside your house and yell "Hey Google, open the garage door" to break in ?
Maybe by the front door or does it listen in the garage as well ?

I've been tempted by the wyze garage door camera and controller, it's $44 or without camera just $20 for the controller:

https://www.wyze.com/products/wyze-g...41618559008930
Old 01-22-2023, 11:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have a couple of eufy camera's I like their resolution.

Could someone stand outside your house and yell "Hey Google, open the garage door" to break in ?
Maybe by the front door or does it listen in the garage as well ?
Good thought. With the google assistant integration it requires upon setup, a 2FA PIN. So when you say open the garage door, google home asks for the PIN before actually opening it. We also don't have any google assistant devices that could hear someone outside. If you are logged in using the eufy security app, you can just press the button to open it.

The Wyze garage camera and controller also look good.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #52

Oh I like those cameras!
Old 01-23-2023, 07:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Oh I like those cameras!
I do too. My wifi app/opener indicate whether or not the door is open/closed, but a camera would be better. I’m going to look into that.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:51 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I very nearly found myself locked out of the house yesterday due to problem with the front door lock and I realized that I had no other way to get in being the garage door opener was safely locked inside.

My opener is 25 years old and from what I think I have been told is I cannot get one of those remotes you throw on your key chain. But I have always resisted a garage door keypad thinking they are unsafe. Then I thought well can I disguise it somehow, IDK. I have nothing of value to steal but I happen to value ME and don't want to be here if someone breaks in.

Any suggestions what I should look for?
When you think of all the easy ways someone can break into your home, in most cases a keypad for the garage is not a big concern. Its easy to break windows or kick in doors etc. Its not even hard to cut through siding or drywall really. A quick boot to a door or window that is mostly hidden from view allows easy entrance.
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:56 PM   #55

Thanks guys I got the door fixed and a keypad installed so all is right with my home maintenance for today.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:16 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

A few thoughts. What about a lockbox that the fire department can open? Our subdivision has them on almost every house, all you I have to do is call them and they can access a key.

I have a smart deadbolt on entry door and door inside the garage. Can unlock via Bluetooth with my phone.

Smart garage door opener is good idea. And don’t forget to remove the “manual open” cord on your garage door opener.

Last, the four worn digits concern can be overcome by just pressing four more digits after you enter the proper code. Even with four worn numbers, there are many (I think 32) possible sequences.
BasketCase24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:41 AM   #57

Quote:
I very nearly found myself locked out of the house yesterday due to problem with the front door lock and I realized that I had no other way to get in being the garage door opener was safely locked inside.

My opener is 25 years old and from what I think I have been told is I cannot get one of those remotes you throw on your key chain. But I have always resisted a garage door keypad thinking they are unsafe. Then I thought well can I disguise it somehow, IDK. I have nothing of value to steal but I happen to value ME and don't want to be here if someone breaks in.

Any suggestions what I should look for?
Our garage door opener can be controlled by our cell phones. We have no key pad.

But we do have a small wall safe mounted right where a keypad would be and in there is our house key. It has a manual key pad under the lid. Everyone thinks it’s for the garage door opener because that’s what it looks like when the lid is closed.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:59 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an extra key hidden in a metal box outside.
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase24 View Post
A few thoughts. What about a lockbox that the fire department can open? Our subdivision has them on almost every house, all you I have to do is call them and they can access a key.

I have a smart deadbolt on entry door and door inside the garage. Can unlock via Bluetooth with my phone.

Smart garage door opener is good idea. And don’t forget to remove the “manual open” cord on your garage door opener.

Last, the four worn digits concern can be overcome by just pressing four more digits after you enter the proper code. Even with four worn numbers, there are many (I think 32) possible sequences.
I would be worried about less-than-honest fireman borrowing the key for a few hours. A quick Google shows several stories of stolen master keys. Any form of security can be hacked or bypassed. I don't trust any IOT-based device. Security updates are rare or impossible. 4-digit keyless door locks are no more secure than a 4-digit garage keypad IMO. TBH, I do have a keypad on my garage door in plain sight. The door from the garage to the house is locked. I do keep a hidden key for it INSIDE the garage somewhere. What I have found that is odd, my garage receiver has a "vacation" mode where "remotes" will not operate the opener. The exterior keypad WILL open it. It must have some different protocol.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:27 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

For a few years I have used a Go Control garage door controller simply hooked to garage door opener connected via my Smarthings hub….cost 50 bucks… can open the door via smartphone from anywhere.
airbornesapper is offline   Reply With Quote