garage door opener keypads - disguise, lock?

I have a couple of eufy camera's I like their resolution.

Could someone stand outside your house and yell "Hey Google, open the garage door" to break in ?
Maybe by the front door or does it listen in the garage as well ?

Good thought. With the google assistant integration it requires upon setup, a 2FA PIN. So when you say open the garage door, google home asks for the PIN before actually opening it. We also don't have any google assistant devices that could hear someone outside. If you are logged in using the eufy security app, you can just press the button to open it.

The Wyze garage camera and controller also look good.

Last edited:
Oh I like those cameras!

I do too. My wifi app/opener indicate whether or not the door is open/closed, but a camera would be better. I’m going to look into that.

I very nearly found myself locked out of the house yesterday due to problem with the front door lock and I realized that I had no other way to get in being the garage door opener was safely locked inside.

My opener is 25 years old and from what I think I have been told is I cannot get one of those remotes you throw on your key chain. But I have always resisted a garage door keypad thinking they are unsafe. Then I thought well can I disguise it somehow, IDK. I have nothing of value to steal but I happen to value ME and don't want to be here if someone breaks in.

Any suggestions what I should look for?

When you think of all the easy ways someone can break into your home, in most cases a keypad for the garage is not a big concern. Its easy to break windows or kick in doors etc. Its not even hard to cut through siding or drywall really. A quick boot to a door or window that is mostly hidden from view allows easy entrance.

Thanks guys I got the door fixed and a keypad installed so all is right with my home maintenance for today.

A few thoughts. What about a lockbox that the fire department can open? Our subdivision has them on almost every house, all you I have to do is call them and they can access a key.

I have a smart deadbolt on entry door and door inside the garage. Can unlock via Bluetooth with my phone.

Smart garage door opener is good idea. And don’t forget to remove the “manual open” cord on your garage door opener.

Last, the four worn digits concern can be overcome by just pressing four more digits after you enter the proper code. Even with four worn numbers, there are many (I think 32) possible sequences.

I very nearly found myself locked out of the house yesterday due to problem with the front door lock and I realized that I had no other way to get in being the garage door opener was safely locked inside.

My opener is 25 years old and from what I think I have been told is I cannot get one of those remotes you throw on your key chain. But I have always resisted a garage door keypad thinking they are unsafe. Then I thought well can I disguise it somehow, IDK. I have nothing of value to steal but I happen to value ME and don't want to be here if someone breaks in.

Any suggestions what I should look for?

Our garage door opener can be controlled by our cell phones. We have no key pad.

But we do have a small wall safe mounted right where a keypad would be and in there is our house key. It has a manual key pad under the lid. Everyone thinks it’s for the garage door opener because that’s what it looks like when the lid is closed.

A few thoughts. What about a lockbox that the fire department can open? Our subdivision has them on almost every house, all you I have to do is call them and they can access a key.

I have a smart deadbolt on entry door and door inside the garage. Can unlock via Bluetooth with my phone.

Smart garage door opener is good idea. And don’t forget to remove the “manual open” cord on your garage door opener.

Last, the four worn digits concern can be overcome by just pressing four more digits after you enter the proper code. Even with four worn numbers, there are many (I think 32) possible sequences.

I would be worried about less-than-honest fireman borrowing the key for a few hours. A quick Google shows several stories of stolen master keys. Any form of security can be hacked or bypassed. I don't trust any IOT-based device. Security updates are rare or impossible. 4-digit keyless door locks are no more secure than a 4-digit garage keypad IMO. TBH, I do have a keypad on my garage door in plain sight. The door from the garage to the house is locked. I do keep a hidden key for it INSIDE the garage somewhere. What I have found that is odd, my garage receiver has a "vacation" mode where "remotes" will not operate the opener. The exterior keypad WILL open it. It must have some different protocol.

For a few years I have used a Go Control garage door controller simply hooked to garage door opener connected via my Smarthings hub….cost 50 bucks… can open the door via smartphone from anywhere.

Been there, done that.
If you do get a keypad and you normally keep your inside door to the garage locked, remember to hide a house key in the garage as well.

Not under the mat in front of the door. It's like making your online password: password 😂

I recently got a new and much smaller remote for my 25+ year old Sears Craftsman door opener. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Back
Top Bottom