Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I have Xtreme Garage heavy duty steel shelving from Menards. Very solid stuff.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope this photo shows up. It's my garage using these Seville Classic cabinets. There are wall mount, rolling work bench, rolling small cabinet and tall cabinets.
If you can see the photo, everything is on wheels and I can clear out the garage in short order.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xYc1hSZ0Z5d3ZB

skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^ Beautiful!! Storage cabinets/shelving on wheels is a deal breaker for me.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Thanks...any particular brand? The brands and prices for resin units online seem to be all over the place.
I don't remember the brand. BTW, your mailbox is full.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #45

In the photo, the floor tiles are 1 foot square. The space has 2 deep tiles around he perimeter. That should help with envisioning the scale of the cabinets.
I got the floor tiles from COSTCO for under a buck each. They are plastic, click-lock together and just under 1/2" thick. I laid a foam underlayment so they didn't sound hollow walking on. Very nice because the floor and whole space is much warmer. And when I drop something on this floor, it is like dropping something in sand; it doesn't bounce or roll. The plastic absorbs the impact, the diamond plate pattern keeps stuff from rolling away.
The lights are LED from SAM's. Replaced all my florescent lights with LED and added extras.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I prefer cabinets to open shelves. They give a clean look when their doors are closed. Yes, they cost more, but are worth it.

I have the Gladiator cabinets sold by Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiato...KDYG/204238960

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^^ Beautiful!! Storage cabinets/shelving on wheels is a deal breaker for me.
Why are the wheels a deal breaker? I was thinking they were a good idea. What ami I missing? The only thing I was concerned about with the wheels is whether or not they had a leveling mechanism.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #48

On a non-tile floor I'd be afraid a tall shelf or cabinet would tip if I wheeled it. On a tile floor, I'd be slightly less afraid. I'd have to pay extra attention to how much weight is on each shelf. I bet you're not supposed to utilize the top of the cabinet if it's on wheels. It depends partially on the risk of an earthquake but I'm in NYC and I like to be prepared for one. I've felt two here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earthquake-safety.jpg (288.9 KB, 17 views)
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I hope this photo shows up. It's my garage using these Seville Classic cabinets. There are wall mount, rolling work bench, rolling small cabinet and tall cabinets.
If you can see the photo, everything is on wheels and I can clear out the garage in short order.

Looks great! DW wants to epoxy our garage floor. I'd like some storage like yours to finish it off.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Looks great! DW wants to epoxy our garage floor. I'd like some storage like yours to finish it off.
What's great is that I can clean it with my leaf blower and not have stuff get blown around.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:11 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Where are the cars?

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:15 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

If I got a wheeled cabinet, it would have to be possible for a 60's woman or a much older man to wheel it around when it's full. We are not as strong as we used to be. Would not want to sacrifice the stability of a stationary cabinet, for a wheeled one which may be too heavy to roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
On a non-tile floor I'd be afraid a tall shelf or cabinet would tip if I wheeled it. On a tile floor, I'd be slightly less afraid. I'd have to pay extra attention to how much weight is on each shelf. I bet you're not supposed to utilize the top of the cabinet if it's on wheels. It depends partially on the risk of an earthquake but I'm in NYC and I like to be prepared for one. I've felt two here.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:49 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with this one. It was easy to assemble and the most sturdy plastic unit I've used. Readily available. The pictures on the web site (to the left) show comparisons to other units.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Blac...1592/306331734

I did drive a screw through the plastic top shelf into the stud on the garage wall. This made it very stable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelves.JPG (28.6 KB, 21 views)

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
In the photo, the floor tiles are 1 foot square. The space has 2 deep tiles around he perimeter. That should help with envisioning the scale of the cabinets.
I got the floor tiles from COSTCO for under a buck each. They are plastic, click-lock together and just under 1/2" thick. I laid a foam underlayment so they didn't sound hollow walking on. Very nice because the floor and whole space is much warmer. And when I drop something on this floor, it is like dropping something in sand; it doesn't bounce or roll. The plastic absorbs the impact, the diamond plate pattern keeps stuff from rolling away.
The lights are LED from SAM's. Replaced all my florescent lights with LED and added extras.
Do the tiles hold up under cars?
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

It is really nice to get a good recommendation for something which is not that costly!

Naturally, they are sold out within 70 miles of us. Pandemic demand, compounded by being from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm happy with this one. It was easy to assemble and the most sturdy plastic unit I've used. Readily available. The pictures on the web site (to the left) show comparisons to other units.

I did drive a screw through the plastic top shelf into the stud on the garage wall. This made it very stable.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is really nice to get a good recommendation for something which is not that costly!

Naturally, they are sold out within 70 miles of us. Pandemic demand, compounded by being from China.
Dang. We have stock here, but it is low. Only listing 3 at my local HD. I got mine right before the pandemic and they had a stack of 30.

You also have to deal with The Season in FL and associated increase in demand. Uh oh, I'm veering into the Florida topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelf.jpg (150.8 KB, 21 views)

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:50 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yes, and now we have $@#! vaccine tourists as well. Stay in your own darned states and quit stealing our vaccine!

Quote:
Dang. We have stock here, but it is low. Only listing 3 at my local HD. I got mine right before the pandemic and they had a stack of 30.

You also have to deal with The Season in FL and associated increase in demand. Uh oh, I'm veering into the Florida topic.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #58

Quote:

Lowes has a similar unit with availability ($44).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1...-Unit/50436504, looks like they have a bunch even in your neck of the woods.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We have two variations of plastic variety shelves like Joe has. The units with non-solid shelves are more sturdy than flat shelves.

Other thoughts:
- You can turn over the flat shelves, and use the small compartments on opposite side for small things.
- If you go over 5 feet, definitely need to attach the top to wall.
- Look at the toe space (or lack thereof). Something to consider when cleaning. I see the lack of toe space as a nice feature. I don't move this shelving often, and less debris goes under. But the shelves, whether flat or ventilated, do collect debris in a garage.
- Wood shelving is not as useful. We have that in the back of our 2-car garage. I've had to reinforce plywood, cut off lower shelves for space, and so on.
- I never cared for any cheaper steel shelving.
- A large cabinet with doors would help when storing tools. But all of the interior space is not used in a cabinet, and doors need swing space.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'd like to purchase two or three sturdy, capacious free-standing shelf units for our large garage, to hold cleaning and yard chemicals, fertilizer, flowerpots, and the kinds of tools and other items (trimmer, chainsaw, etc.) that don't lend themselves to tool racks. Let's say 6 feet tall, 3-4 feet wide, 2 feet deep.

I do not want wire units, or any shelves with mesh or other openings - prefer solid shelves.

Mostly considering heavy-duty plastic or resin rather than metal, for easier cleaning and to avoid rust. Still, I'm not 100% convinced that plastic shelves are sturdy enough; have never had them before, and it's hard to tell from the few models on display in Home Depot.

Does anyone have good-performing shelf units to recommend? Thank you!
These are sturdy and availible with free shipping from amazon.EDSAL URWM184872BK Black Steel Storage Rack, 72" H x 48" W x 18" D
Brand: EDSAL
4.2 out of 5 stars 4,085 ratings
List Price: $132.99
Price: $99.98 & FREE Shipping
You Save: $33.01 (25%)
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage shelves, garage storage, shelving units