Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

WOW! That is a very nice work area and beautiful to boot!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Well, I was going to recommend the wire racks but you seem to have disqualified them. Nonetheless, we have several that I purchased for next to nothing at a restaurant auction. The only difference from the picture is that ours have wheels. They were super easy to disassemble and reassemble. I have put plywood down on a couple shelves for leaky items (like the chainsaw).

The shelves are easily adjustable and really, they are my favorite shelves. We have some large industrial ones from Home Depot, but they are heavy and were a pain to put together, so would not buy those again.
+1

I use these shelves to hold media equipment in HVAC room, Wireless router, extra Google WiFi (they're great), 2 security systems... don't think anything else)

Also, this is NOT in garage but they'll work there too.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have some of the big Home Depot "Husky" metal shelves that you knock together yourself. A worker at our house pointed out that you can get 2 sets and assemble them to form 3 sets, you just won't have as many shelves. That worked well for us because some of the stuff we are storing is tall enough that we cant use all four shelves in each unit, or don't use the bottom shelf and set those items on the floor.

The shelves have steel channels for the edges but a thick wire grid, for the ones that need to be "solid" we just lay a piece of cardboard of plywood on the grid.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lateral file cabinets are a decent option and measure out close to your desired dimensions. Bonus: they have doors to cover up the clutter and keep the dust away, as well as the ability to pull out the drawer to get a better look at what's on the back of the shelf.

And they are cheap if you can get them from a government, school or hospital auction. (And maybe from used office furniture places, too. I never checked.)

File cabinets are surplus to businesses of all kinds these days. I picked up three for my garage in an auction, I think for less than $20 apiece.

I just checked a web site in my state that specializes in school district auctions. They have three lots of lateral cabinets up for bid, each for two 5-drawer lateral files. One lot was up to a whole $12 with a couple of days to go. The other two were about half that.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
We have some of the big Home Depot "Husky" metal shelves that you knock together yourself. A worker at our house pointed out that you can get 2 sets and assemble them to form 3 sets, you just won't have as many shelves. That worked well for us because some of the stuff we are storing is tall enough that we cant use all four shelves in each unit, or don't use the bottom shelf and set those items on the floor.

The shelves have steel channels for the edges but a thick wire grid, for the ones that need to be "solid" we just lay a piece of cardboard of plywood on the grid.
You can do the same with the plastic ones, no rule that says they have to have 4 shelves each, can make a bunch of 2 or 3 shelf ones instead.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:57 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found that the black or chrome wire shelves worked well in network closets. I purchased a few for my office since they have a very clean look.

The gotcha with any shelf system is that the depth which works in your space may not be readily available from your go-to store.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage shelves, garage storage, shelving units