Gardening 2024

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Gardening season 2024 is officially started at my house, since today I set up my trays and lights in the kitchen and started seeds for the broccoli, kale, cabbage, celery, parsley and thyme. I also drew my plot map for the year.

I'm cutting back on some things out at the garden this year - I won't be growing onions because they are a bear to weed and they never get large in my garden. I'm also giving up on sweet potatoes and okra because we just don't eat them very much, and, while I can freeze the okra, I have never found a good way to keep the sweet potatoes for very long.

So, how's your garden coming along?

Last edited:
Once I get back from our month away in Australia/NZ it will be game on. Fortunately, I am more of a worker bee than a planner in this case. We have a community garden in our neighborhood. So, I'm sure when I get back I'll be doing work with the neighbors in the garden. But then again fishing season will be starting ...

Well plant some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in May. We’ll likely start some seeds indoors when we return to PA in a month. Hope to get the grandkids involved.

I have never found a good way to keep the sweet potatoes for very long.

DW makes a great sweet potato soup that freezes very well.

Last edited:
I have in the ground:
1. potatoes
2. onions
3. garlic
4. Asparagus
5. carrots (seed)
6. Lettuce (seed but already sprouted)
7. strawberries
8. beets (seed)
9. cabbage (seed)
10. Snow peas (seed)

Started in the fiber pots and my portable hothouse:
1. green beans
2. cantaloupe
3. crook-neck squash
4. Patty-pan squash
5. red and yellow sweet peppers
6. spinach
7. watermelon
8. tomatoes
9. cucumbers

Also planted 3 varieties of table grapes, 2 of raspberries, 2 blueberries and a pomegranate. Those all went in the ground yesterday.

Last year I planted some trees:
1. Almond
2. two cherry varieties
3. two apple varieties
4. two pear varieties
5. peach
6. weeping plum

Over the past 2 years prior to last year, planted citrus trees:
1. Orange
2. Limes
3. Lemons

Also planted maybe half a dozen rose bushes and a wild flower bed that is 4' wide by 80' long along a stone wall I built and several dozen daffodil bulbs up by my wife's she-shed.

Here's a photo of the raised beds. The wire is cattle fence in trellis and a border for deer predation prevention.

Attachments

• garden1.jpg
    garden1.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have purchased my seed potatoes and trying to decide on what else to plant in my small garden. I will probably plant something leafy and maybe some beans. My lavender plants are now well established. I use the dried flowers and give it away to friends. I made lavender oil last year for the first time. Lavender oil is an anti-inflammatory and an antimicrobial. It is useful for a number of ailments.

I'm exciting again to have a garden. Actually, today I planted the tomatoes seeds in house for transplanting and to be ready in early May. I will plant squash and pumpkins and cantaloupe at the ranch again in the old corral. That worked very nice last year.

I have in the ground:
1. potatoes
2. onions
3. garlic
4. Asparagus
5. carrots (seed)
6. Lettuce (seed but already sprouted)
7. strawberries
8. beets (seed)
9. cabbage (seed)
10. Snow peas (seed)

Started in the fiber pots and my portable hothouse:
1. green beans
2. cantaloupe
3. crook-neck squash
4. Patty-pan squash
5. red and yellow sweet peppers
6. spinach
7. watermelon
8. tomatoes
9. cucumbers

Also planted 3 varieties of table grapes, 2 of raspberries, 2 blueberries and a pomegranate. Those all went in the ground yesterday.

Last year I planted some trees:
1. Almond
2. two cherry varieties
3. two apple varieties
4. two pear varieties
5. peach
6. weeping plum

Over the past 2 years prior to last year, planted citrus trees:
1. Orange
2. Limes
3. Lemons

Also planted maybe half a dozen rose bushes and a wild flower bed that is 4' wide by 80' long along a stone wall I built and several dozen daffodil bulbs up by my wife's she-shed.

Here's a photo of the raised beds. The wire is cattle fence in trellis and a border for deer predation prevention.

You win.

How's the plants and gardens doing? I had a 50% germination on tomatoes. I also start a few more than I need so I will live with what I have. I will start squash, pumpkins & cantaloupe in a few weeks.

skipro33 love that garden picture and great garden you have!!

How's the plants and gardens doing?

I hate to say... We decided to pass on our garden this year. Last years turned into a weed patch due to neglect. We did get some stuff. We will plant a few things in our raised beds.

Garden is coming along. I took my tomato cages apart and used them for hothouse covers so my seeds will germinate and sprout. Later, I'll repurpose them back into cages.

Also, my Fringe Flower bushes are going mad! :dance:

Attachments

• garden1a.jpg
    garden1a.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 18
  • garden1b.jpg
    garden1b.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 16
  • garden11.jpg
    garden11.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My cabbage, broccoli, kale, parsley, celery and thyme germinated in the kitchen seed starter and have been moved to peat pots from the coir starter tray. Still under the lights though. I sowed lettuce, spinach and arugula outside yesterday.

We aren't doing a food garden right now, but I ran into something this morning with our Drift roses I had never seen before:

Q5OLbR7.jpeg

According to a reverse image lookup, this is apparently a ladybug larva. I've seen ladybugs before, but never in the larva state. There are a few aphids in the Drift roses, but I suspect they won't be there for long! :LOL:

Garden is coming along. I took my tomato cages apart and used them for hothouse covers so my seeds will germinate and sprout. Later, I'll repurpose them back into cages.

Also, my Fringe Flower bushes are going mad! :dance:
Wow, you are definitely gardening for pleasure and not for profit! That maximum security facility must have cost a fortune. :LOL:

Opened up my community garden plot on April 17th by tilling the plot and direct sowing peas, carrots, beets and radishes. I've had my cabbage, kale and broccoli (which I started indoors in March) in larger pots outside in the day and inside at night for the past week to harden them off. I expect to put them in the ground within the next week. Yesterday, I started the tomatoes (25 of them) in the coir seed starter tray under the lights in our kitchen. Also started cantaloupes, watermelons, cukes, zukes, eggplants and peppers under the lights. As they grow bigger, I will up-pot them twice, harden them off in the pots and then put them in the ground in late May. Starting in about two weeks, I will direct sow the corn (I usually do 3 tranches about two weeks apart, so it doesn't all come ripe at the same time), green beans, Romano beans and winter squash.

I uncovered my fig trees this week and took the cold frame off of my rosemary buses. Still need to move the lemon tree outside. I'll probably get to that tomorrow.

Last edited:
So far we have spinach, peas and lettuce coming up. The strawberry plants are blooming and look healthy. I have tomato plants that I grew from seeds but they are looking long and leggy and it is too early to plant them outside. Getting very excited for the upcoming garden season, my favorite time of year.

Just got a 10 hills of potato in. Three different melons are all up in the house. Pumpkin and squash are also up ready to transplant in about two week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom