Gas & Electric Average Costs

South Texas. Average for past 36 monthly bills of electricity and natural gas: $170. Home is 3000+ sq ft 4br 3.5 ba McMansion. Last month, electricity was $35. High bill last summer was $278.

Last edited:
We're all-electric with a heat pump, and the last month or so has been "low season" for electric use (very little heating or cooling -- the house heats up during the day and cools with open windows at night) so our last bill was seasonably low: we used 560 KwH for a total of $63.46, or about 11.3 cents per kilowatt-hour. In the worst of a brutal summer our usage can come close to triple that, and in a cold winter (we didn't have one this year) it can about double.

Our "average" bill is probably around $125, spiking up to $175 or so for electric during the dog days of summer. We set heating at 68 and cooling at 78 year-round.

we used 560 KwH for a total of $63.46, or about 11.3 cents per kilowatt-hour.

Wow, are your rates low or are mine high? Last November I used 569KwH and my bill was $84.02

Wow, are your rates low or are mine high? Last November I used 569KwH and my bill was $84.02
I'm sure there are variations within states but FWIW. Look at HI, though a moderate climate undoubtedly helps...

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 23
I am on a budget plan .My house is over 3200 sq.feet with a pool in Southern Florida . All electric .We pay $220 monthly . We rarely use the heat pump and the air is set at 75 .

I'm sure there are variations within states but FWIW. Look at HI, though a moderate climate undoubtedly helps...

For HI the high price is that oil is used to generate the electricity there. Actually on the outer islands the price per kwh is in the thirty cent range.
Btw the map appears to reflect the pricing of electricity when natural gas was high a couple of years ago. I just checked the electric shopping web site and for Houston the price seemed to be about .09/kwh. In the hill country with a municipal provider I pay about .086/kwh

I don't know how old that chart is, but Oahu hasn't seen anything less than 30 cents/KWHr for several years now.

Neighbor islands pay even higher prices.

Back
Top Bottom