Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have you filed an insurance claim yet?
ab620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh Wow. So sorry you guys had this happen. I am afraid of gas and don't have it in my home but did replace gas logs in the new condo I bought this summer with a wireless remote to turn it on and off. There is a CO detector.
This would be my worst fear. Again, Yikes and glad no one was hurt.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Jøtul and not Jotul.
There's always at least one in every thread...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Glad no one was hurt and I hope you can get some answers about what happened.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Glad no one was hurt. Very scary. What are you going to do? Sounds like calling someone (other than the guys that recently serviced it) would be in order.

We have a gas log fireplace and the flame goes out sometimes and then re-lights 10-20 minutes later. I assume the oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) or an overtemp sensor is being triggered but I have not been able to confirm anything. Since it is about 20 years old, I started having it serviced the last 2 years. The guys that serviced it just look at me like I have 3 heads when I describe this issue. Last year it continued to flame out occasionally but this year it has been OK since the last service. The guy they sent seemed to be a bit more experienced and claimed the unit was in excellent condition.
Jazz, we have a gas fireplace that had the same issue. After tinkering around I found that behind the upper vent are 2 "covers" that look like a metal plate with about 1/2" of insulation below that are on hinges. I vacuumed around each to remove accumulated dust as I thought maybe they allow air into the firebox. Since then no issues with the fireplace going out due to lack of oxygen setting off the sensor and I now vacuum the "inlets" when cold weather starts approaching.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'd also contact the manufacturer. I'm sure they will respond, regardless of whether you refer to them as Jøtul or Jotul.

PS: another way to use all the special characters which doesn't change with OS or keyboard, is to create a text document with all of them (pretty easy to find with a search of Unicode ), and then just copy/paste them into whatever you are writing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Very glad you are all ok, no fire, etc.

Might you look unto a pellet stove? Although it is perhaps possible to get a pellet explosion, it is much less likely than a gas explosion.

Ha
Old 12-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #28

FWIW, if you're on a Mac, just hold down the letter in question and you'll get a popup like this:
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.29.58 PM.png

Then just type (in this case) "6" and the appropriate ø is produced.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do you expect when buying an oven named Jøtul?

It means giant troll in norwegian - and I think you got trolled!

Seriously I'm glad nobody was hurt. And I'm surprised to learn that Jøtul make gas ovens. Over here they are best known for their wood burners.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
There's always at least one in every thread...
+ Just what I was thinking... the poor OP's stove just blew up and someone can focus on is whether the "o" in Jøtul has a line through it or not. [MOD EDIT]

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Jazz, we have a gas fireplace that had the same issue. After tinkering around I found that behind the upper vent are 2 "covers" that look like a metal plate with about 1/2" of insulation below that are on hinges. I vacuumed around each to remove accumulated dust as I thought maybe they allow air into the firebox. Since then no issues with the fireplace going out due to lack of oxygen setting off the sensor and I now vacuum the "inlets" when cold weather starts approaching.
Thank you for this. I guess the service tech that came out last time must have done a better job cleaning this area. If you don't mind, what brand is your unit? Id like to look it up and compare it to our Heatilator B-vent unit (think thats what they call it).

As for OP's issue, his unit has a pilot (like mine). It will be interesting to determine what malfunctioned.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
... As for OP's issue, his unit has a pilot (like mine). It will be interesting to determine what malfunctioned.
While pilot lights are typically very reliable (they've been around for ages), they usually don't have a full feedback mechanism, so you can have a problem like this.

The thermocouple will shut things down if it isn't sensing heat from the pilot. But typically, if that is sensed OK, it is just assumed that once the main gas valve is opened, that it will be lit by the pilot. But I've had some problems where the shroud around the pilot wasn't sitting right, or the pilot tube was out of alignment, and the gas just didn't flow well enough to the flame to light right away. So sometimes it would light late, and you could get a little 'boom'. It could get worse.

My new water heater actually has an igniter for the pilot, then that ignites the main burner. There is a sensor in there, and it will retry a few times, then shut down with a warning light flashing. Not sure if the sensor is on the pilot or the main flame or both.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #33

Was this a vented or ventless stove?
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Gas Explosion at my house tonight...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #34

1) stove is vented
2) stove is for heat not an oven
3)spoke to Jotul sales rep for Pa this morning..trying to find a shop that will repair the unit.
4)ill wait few days then see who i can find to fix it...
5) rep told me what a service should consist of none of these things were done...
6)if pilot isnt cleaned it may not be sufficient to ignite stove ... could explain what happened...

Not sure what else i can do...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've had some problems where the shroud around the pilot wasn't sitting right, or the pilot tube was out of alignment, and the gas just didn't flow well enough to the flame to light right away. So sometimes it would light late, and you could get a little 'boom'. It could get worse.
-ERD50

I think this exactly what happened...
Thanks Buddy.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
5) rep told me what a service should consist of none of these things were done...
Ray, I think you're right that your local dealer is most likely the one at fault. Jøtul doesn't seem to vet their dealers very carefully.

About ten years ago in another house, I bought a Jøtul wood burning fireplace insert. When the crew came to install it, it took hardly any time for me to realize they were clueless about what they were doing. After a couple of hours I had to kick them out and finished the installation myself. I don't even want to think about how concerned I would have been with a gas installation.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm very glad that you and your family are OK.

Gas has always scared me.
HGTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #38

Jazz - we have the Superior brand SSDVT- gas fireplace. The builder had already put in the added the internal outlet for power so I added the blower unit to move the heat out into the room.

From looking online the plates I described in my previous post are "relief plates" to prevent pressurization from occurring. Don't know how much air the relief plates let in, if any but keeping them vacuumed once a year has prevented the oxygen sensor from shutting down the logs. Ours has a pilot light also.

I can see where pressure relief plates would also keep the glass front from blowing out like the Ops stove did if the gas did not light immediately although with a fireplace it is just an on/off switch rather than a thermostat so it doesn't turn itself off and on.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #39

I finally talked to the dealer that sold me the Jøtul; I was surprised to learn Jøtul North America called him and ordered a new glass. The dealer was going to send his installer to repair the unit and check my other stove.

Just maybe it will be fixed and I’ll be good to go.. I’ll be watching it carefully.