Join Early Retirement Today

Gas Explosion at my house tonight...
Old 12-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Mrs and I were watching Going in Style - free HBO until the new year when the small Jotul stove in front of the house exploded. It blew the front glass out. We (I) panicked shut off the thermostat then the shut the gas valve off. I just had the stove cleaned I was not confident in the service guys...

My son was at his computer 4 feet away unharmed. OMG. I am shook up. The Mrs is vacuuming up the shards of glass.. that stove cost about 3 grand all in and is about 8 years old.

That explosion scared the bejesus out of me...
The Mrs mention that it made whoosh sound that had worried so that’s when I had it serviced... yikesIMG_0228.JPG
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scary! Glad that no one was injured.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Wow, sounds like good luck was with you in that no one was injured. Sorry to hear about this for you.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
gone traveling

Jøtul and not Jotul.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Was it "ON", and automatically turning ON/OFF when the thermostat called for heat?

If so, sounds like the gas valve opened, but the igniter didn't get it lit until a lot of gas built up.

I used to monitor my old furnace, every so often when I was down in the basement (and at the start of the season), I'd watch it start. I knew the routine - click ON, the draft inducer would whirrr for a few seconds until the barometric switch sensed it was 'sucking', then the main gas valve would come on, and that would "whoosh" a few seconds later as it was lit (standing pilot light). About 30 second in, the blower would start up.

My new higher efficiency unit is so sealed up, I can't easily see what is going on.

Shattered gas would be very scary, good that no one was hurt.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #6

Wow, that would be so scary. I am so glad that no one was hurt.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Glad no one was hurt. Very scary. What are you going to do? Sounds like calling someone (other than the guys that recently serviced it) would be in order.

We have a gas log fireplace and the flame goes out sometimes and then re-lights 10-20 minutes later. I assume the oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) or an overtemp sensor is being triggered but I have not been able to confirm anything. Since it is about 20 years old, I started having it serviced the last 2 years. The guys that serviced it just look at me like I have 3 heads when I describe this issue. Last year it continued to flame out occasionally but this year it has been OK since the last service. The guy they sent seemed to be a bit more experienced and claimed the unit was in excellent condition.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Glad you're OK.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Glad no one got hurt....

Might be time to have strong words with that maintenance company....

Old 12-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoa. Glad everyone is safe!
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #11

Details ..
I have two Jøtuls. I bought the first one and put in the den / kitchen area as it was always cold back there. We later discovered there was no insulation in the soffit above the kitchen cabinets - a quick fix. I then felt guilty because my hangout spot was warm and toasty. My tv viewing habits are pretty boring to the wife and kids; they hangout in the living room -So I bought the smaller unit for that room and that’s the one that blew up.

They are supposedly or were high end units I’m sure the big one was 5 grand and the smaller unit (bought on a close out) was probably 3 all in. Had them maybe 8 years. They have wireless thermostats and run when we don’t have electricity...that are battery operated.

These things have pilot lights...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, then, how about including keyboarding instructions on how to get the thingamajig with the diagonal line through it? (Also umlauts, cedillas, circonflexes etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Jøtul and not Jotul.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #13

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries.

Might be time to contact ServPro and a good lawyer
Old 12-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If you don't have one already, it is definitely worth getting an explosive gas detector for the rooms with combustion appliances (to go with the CO detector, which should be standard and required, IMO). They don't cost much, and if this problem had resulted in a more extensive natural gas leak (outside the appliance to a level that would support combustion), the results might have been catastrophic.
Here's a combined CO/explosive gas detector for $55. Cheap insurance. And, it has a digital CO level display, which is also a "must" in my book.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yikes. That is scary.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Was it "ON", and automatically turning ON/OFF when the thermostat called for heat?

If so, sounds like the gas valve opened, but the igniter didn't get it lit until a lot of gas built up.

-ERD50
that's why I keep the pilot "ON" in my gas insert - scary

OP - glad no one was hurt!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, then, how about including keyboarding instructions on how to get the thingamajig with the diagonal line through it? (Also umlauts, cedillas, circonflexes etc).
If you ever want to type one of those funny characters on a PC (sorry, I don't know how to on a Mac) you can follow these instructions:
  1. Make sure your "Num Lock" is on
  2. Lookup the ASCII code for the character you want a page like this one.
  3. The decimal for a ø is 0248, to enter it, hold down the "alt" key and enter 0248 on the number keypad

Just remember Alt+0248 (ø) is a different character than Alt+248 (°)

You now can type all these funny characters.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, and I just installed a wood Jøtul stove last week!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If you don't have one already, it is definitely worth getting an explosive gas detector for the rooms with combustion appliances (to go with the CO detector, which should be standard and required, IMO). They don't cost much, and if this problem had resulted in a more extensive natural gas leak (outside the appliance to a level that would support combustion), the results might have been catastrophic.
Here's a combined CO/explosive gas detector for $55. Cheap insurance. And, it has a digital CO level display, which is also a "must" in my book.
Thanks samclem! Despite the smell they put in gas, I seldom smell it. DW had to tell me the gas stove hadn't lit. Sure enough I'm at the burner and can't smell anything, she was across the room.

I'll buy today.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thanks samclem! Despite the smell they put in gas, I seldom smell it. DW had to tell me the gas stove hadn't lit. Sure enough I'm at the burner and can't smell anything, she was across the room.

I'll buy today.
+1

Very good advice indeed.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote