Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Glad to hear they're not shutting down!

You got it right: a tax on drivers. I'm not a fan of more taxes, but a disincentive to burn fossil fuels would be one place where I'd tax if I were king.

I didn't explain the mechanism very well, but I figure that a barrel produced in North America would always fetch the high price, no matter what. So OPEC doesn't game the system, maybe the "high price" would be a moving average. The refinery would be indifferent as to where the oil came from since it all would cost the same amount. Buy from Texas and pay the highest world price to the producer. Buy from OPEC when the current world price had sunk, producer gets paid the current (cheap) world price and the difference between that and highest world price would go to the debit.
I assume from your posts you are not that well informed on the oil and gas industry, and that's OK. But what you are missing is that all crude oil is not the same and all refineries are not equipped to process all crude oil types. Some refineries are not equipped with process equipment to handle high sulfur crude and that is generally lower priced oil. On the other hand, Arabian light crude is very easy to refine and that is a high priced commodity. Plus, a lot of crude gets traded by brokers all over the world and transportation costs influence the pricing.

What I am saying is that it's not that simplistic to assume crude oil could be price controlled and everyone would be happy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess they'll need to change their arm and leg gas price structures to just fingers and toes these days.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #83

$3.05 here, but it's usually a rip. It usually worthwhile to drive 20 minutes to VA to fill up if near empty.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Regular is down to $2.42/gal range here and dropping, can find it for $2.3x/gal if you search. But diesel is still $3.45/gal range. Not driving the diesel truck as much now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
So are you running regular 87octane gas in your 454 without any issues?
Actually, yes run cheap regular in my 38 Chevy with the 454 engine. It is built with 8.5:1 compression and has a big cam that bleeds off some cylinder pressure. End result is runs fine on the cheap stuff, which is good at 12-13 mpg highway and 6-8 mpg in town. In addition I live at high altitude, which makes even less cylinder pressure and therefore lower octane needed.

Now my 68 GTO with 10.75:1 compression and stock cam does need all the octane supreme has, and even can use a bit more if I have some racing gas or similar high octane to supplement. I do not complain about the extra cost for this car.

Rest of my old cars are also set up to run on regular. High compression is good for power and engine responsiveness, but I like being able to use whatever grade without concern.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Actually, yes run cheap regular in my 38 Chevy with the 454 engine. It is built with 8.5:1 compression and has a big cam that bleeds off some cylinder pressure. End result is runs fine on the cheap stuff, which is good at 12-13 mpg highway and 6-8 mpg in town. In addition I live at high altitude, which makes even less cylinder pressure and therefore lower octane needed.

Now my 68 GTO with 10.75:1 compression and stock cam does need all the octane supreme has, and even can use a bit more if I have some racing gas or similar high octane to supplement. I do not complain about the extra cost for this car.

Rest of my old cars are also set up to run on regular. High compression is good for power and engine responsiveness, but I like being able to use whatever grade without concern.
That makes sense. I had a 70 chevy with a 454 a number of years ago. If I recall, the comp ratio was about 10.5:1, and it needed premium to run right, and lots of it.

Funny, but my 2009 LS3 with a 10.7:1 comp ratio will run "okay" on regular. I accidentally filled it once with regular (almost a full tank) and it ran okay. Not sure I'd want to give it a steady diet of 87 octane.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #86
gone traveling

Price at QuikTrip this morning $2.49.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

My 16 year old daughter got her license in June. We bought her a small used Honda Civic but she has to pay for the gas. She mows lawns for a few neighbors and is a good saver so its not problem for her. The other day she told me that when she got her license she had to pay $4.15 per gallon for gas and now she is paying $2.89 per gallon. She is very aware of the price of gas in the area. I can tell she is going to be a LBYM type of person.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #88
gone traveling

$2.59 this morning at exit one on I95 Georgia.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I was in Houston late last week and noticed gas was low as 2.29 at a couple of stations. I'm sure it was lower somewhere in town since I just happened to notice it at a few stations just off the freeway as I drove by.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

SW PA $2.96, for reg.. There is absolutely no competition around here. All stations are the same unless using affinity cards.

My truck's 5.0 and suburban 454 runs reg, the Jag uses mid grade. Can use regular since the per cylinder ignition timing control will back off timing to control ping. Meaning some power loss.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #91

Still $2.95 here, but I cashed in my grocery store points and got 60 cents off/gallon yesterday. People around here do sometimes get incensed about it but I still bear in mind that the overall tax burden is lower in WV than many, if not most, other states so it doesn't bother me as much.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

RUG = $2.219, D2 $3.299 here in north Houston.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

$2.389 at Costco in Stepfordville...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Still $2.95 here, but I cashed in my grocery store points and got 60 cents off/gallon yesterday. People around here do sometimes get incensed about it but I still bear in mind that the overall tax burden is lower in WV than many, if not most, other states so it doesn't bother me as much.
DW's Caddy gets the grocery store discount. She does the food shopping, she gets the bennys. By the way I am prohibited from tagging along for food shopping
Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

I haven't filled up the car since late August and may get through December without reaching empty. I am surprised to read about these prices.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I haven't filled up the car since late August and may get through December without reaching empty. I am surprised to read about these prices.
Yes, there has been a big change!

$2.44 here at even the regular gas stations
Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

$3.09 is best local price here in East Nowhere, in upstate NY as of Dec 1.

The good news is that particular gas station is within 2 miles of my home.
And, my winter driving is much less frequent and of much shorter distance than during the good weather.

Once the snowmobiling season kicks in full force, the prices will go up.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

The Exxon station that I use is 1.3 miles from here and there are probably a half dozen closer gas stations. That's one of the perks of living in an inner/urban suburb* I guess.

Gas there is $2.45/gallon. It's a couple of cents cheaper at the Discount Zone on the other side of the street at that corner. I last filled up on November 11th, and prices have dropped 10 cents/gallon since then.

My 2014 spending on gas so far adds up to $831. I guess gas prices do not have a huge impact on my budget, mostly because of the inner/urban suburb location in which I live. Everything is close by.

*By "inner/urban suburb", I mean that my suburb is old and was built 50-100 years ago right next to the city line, and it looks much like an urban area with high rises, small lots for residences, and buildings close together.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

My 2014 spending on gas so far adds up to $831. I guess gas prices do not have a huge impact on my budget, mostly because of the inner/urban suburb location in which I live. Everything is close by.

Made me look.

YTD spending is $3,043 for gas and $2,777 for diesel. For those of us with multiple vehicles and drivers, and where everything is definitely not close, this drop in fuel prices will save us several hundred dollars a year.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Made me look.

YTD spending is $3,043 for gas and $2,777 for diesel. For those of us with multiple vehicles and drivers, and where everything is definitely not close, this drop in fuel prices will save us several hundred dollars a year.
Wow! The drop in fuel prices makes a big difference for those farther out and with multiple vehicles and drivers.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote