Generation Jones - WOO HOO!!

queeneev

Recycles dryer sheets
I wasn't sure where this belongs (I almost put in the political forum, but it didn't seem quite right)

I saw this today and it made FEEL SO GOOD!

When I first read about Generation Jones, I got a warm and fuzzy feeling, and finally felt "recognized" for the person that I am, and not just "a tail end baby boomer who is too young to really feel like a boomer, and clearly too old to be Gen X". There's this gray area of age (anyone from 45 to 55 or so) who have been "relegated" to the baby boomer category, and not really feeling the fit.

Don't get me wrong, boomers are amazing cats, and having been born just a wee bit too late to catch that major '60's hippie revolution thing with much understanding, I have always felt a little inconsequential. I didn't protest, I didn't burn my bra, I didn't have brothers or sisters who went to war. I was just this kid who grew up being told I was a boomer, and reading about boomers, and thinking, "but....that's not really me!"

So, if you're bored and looking for new topic to ponder, read up us Jonesers!

GENERATION JONES and THE 2008 U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

(It looks like the main website is down for some serious udpating, perhaps to accomodate the onslaught of viewers as the whole concept reaches the masses.....?!?)

(B.O. is only 10 days older than me, HOW SWEEEEET!)

And while I am at it, a little bit of nostalgia (man, this was fun just hunting these down!):

YouTube - Nixon resigns

YouTube - MC Hammer - U can't touch this (original)

YouTube - Royal Wedding Of Charles & Diana (10 of 26)

YouTube - David Cassidy (Partridge Family) - I think I love you 1970

YouTube - Challenger Space Shuttle Crash

YouTube - Footloose - Original Music Video

YouTube - Milli Vanilli

I've always thought that culturally, economically and politically, younger Boomers have more in common with older "Atari-wave" Xers than with older Boomers, so it makes some sense in that regard.

I was born the first year of the Baby Boom but don't feel like I fit there, either. You tail-end boomers seem like a lot of fun. Wonder if I can pass myself off as one of you; with a little practice I can finish a Rubix Cube in less than three minutes.

Last edited:
Just don't make me listen to the Partridge Family anymore. :nonono:
Their barrage of bubble gum music over the FM airwaves was sufficient for once in my lifetime...
where is the gagging emoticon when ya really need it?

Their barrage of bubble gum music over the FM airwaves was sufficient for once in my lifetime...

I hear ya!!! Partridges...blech!!!
vomit-smiley-001.gif

vomit-smiley-008.gif

vomit-smiley-001.gif

vomit-smiley-008.gif

Agreed - I didn't click on any of those music links, for fear of getting a very nasty ear-whig.

But thanks to the OP anyway. It's been a long time since I was glad to be a few years older; old enough to be aware of, but not be a part of that stuff.

Just the thought of it makes we want to put my Layla boxed set on the CD player, that should do it ;) Better yet, maybe Jeff Beck's Truth and Wired on vinyl... ahh, feeling better already (BTW, where has HFWR been?).

-ERD50

vomit-smiley-001.gif

vomit-smiley-008.gif
what a charming animation. :rolleyes:
my young girl and teenage friends were always swooning after and screaming about the latest long haired teenage boy idol. i just never understood it. :nonono: my preference was checking out the adult men celebrities of the 70s. woohoooooo

what a charming animation. :rolleyes:
my young girl and teenage friends were always swooning after and screaming about the latest long haired teenage boy idol. i just never understood it. :nonono: my preference was checking out the adult men celebrities of the 70s. woohoooooo
By the way, it's YOUR fault that I've had Partridge Family tunes stuck in my head all afternoon, and they won't come out. I hope you're happy. :p

vomit-smiley-001.gif

vomit-smiley-008.gif

Oh man, you guys are all wrong. Susan Dey was hot, and Shirley Jones was the original MILF. The music was a distraction, but Rueben and the red headed kid were pretty funny together.

I remember listening to this guy instead of the Partridge Family when I was around twelve: YouTube - Alice Cooper - School's out 1972

Does Class of '78 make me a Jones?

OK - maybe I heard a David Cassidy song or two when I was little, but this is the kind of stuff I remember listening to:

YouTube - Doobie Brothers - China Grove 1973

YouTube - Aerosmith -- Sweet Emotion

YouTube - Boston - Smokin-live late 70's ?

YouTube - Call Me The Breeze Lynard Skynard

YouTube - Foghat - Slow Ride (Live 1978)

YouTube - TED NUGENT - Cat Scratch Fever , 1978

YouTube - The Eeagles Hotel California LIVE

YouTube - AC/DC - Back in Black

I could go on & on.

I call myself a 'tweener' - born in 1964 - have aspects of both Boomer and Gen X in my make-up - love David Cassidy -Partridge Family (and Shaun -Hardy Boy:)) as a kid - stayed up late to watch wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana - also stayed up to watch her funeral - the Brits do know how to do pomp and circumstance ceremonies!

My parents weren't boomers, just before that (1940/44 were born) - plus, father was in military, so upbringing was different (although we usually lived OFF base - I was usually the only kid whose father was military)

So, I guess I'm odd - but that's OK, I like my oddness :) :) :)

Tex, I like your video findings as much as i like mine!!

I think we Jonesers kind of have the best of both worlds...as a pre-teen I got a large dose of Jimi and Janis, and then pimpled my way through the Eagles and Pink Floyd. Funny how the music sticks with you even when the elephant bells, musk oil, and wing bangs don't. :D

Guess I fit into the Joneser discription too. I learned to love the Doors, Cream, Hendrix and others from my older brother. Then the '70s brought some great music from groups like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, the Doobies, and Queen. In the late 70s and early 80s, I developed an appreciation for new wave and alternative music. One of the best concerts I ever went to was the Talking Heads at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland. And who could forget these guys?

YouTube - Satisfaction (I Can't Get Me No) - Devo

This face was plastered all over my bedroom walls...it was true "teenagery" love.....

Last edited:
Is that Bobby Sherman? If not, I don't recognise him.

I don't see any attributes for being a Joneser. Here's what stood out to me in the Wiki definition:
The connotation, however, which is perhaps best known stems from the slang word "jones" or “jonesing”, which means a yearning or craving. Jonesers were the people who as teens in the 1970’s made this slang word popular, but beyond this historical claim, many believe the concept of jonesing is among this generation’s key collective personality traits. Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the optimistic 1960’s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age in the pessimistic 1970’s, leaving them with a certain unrequited, jonesing quality.

My signature...I was 15 when this song came out. It was the year I got with the program and became a cool nerd, not just an egghead nerd. Brains and cool! :cool:
Freebird's lyrics appealed to me (change "girl" to "guy") for the simple reason that I refused to be tied down to a traditional woman's life.
It summed up my spirit in a single word. Freebird later became my CB handle in 1979, and of course is my "handle" here.
Something to read while the triple guitar solo plays
Free Bird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crank up the speakers, sit back, relax, and hear three excellent guitarists carve out their special place in musical history...
YouTube - FreeBird-Lynyrd Skynyrd-Lyrics Included

Back
Top Bottom