Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbami View Post
ok, to put your mind at rest...here's the sure fire thing...

You keep $25, give him $25 ($50 in one dollar bills) then tip each other.....>:d carry on....

East Nowhere NY...the home of the $1 smile
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Glad you liked that one.... Right now I be jammin' to Boston....party on er.org....
Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What a hoot at a party.

Hey Bubba, that one is HOT.

Ha

Great idea ! Think of all the money you will save on whining & dining the not so hot ones .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

It's easy to shop for guys you just go to Home Depot and look for those tool sets or go to Sears and get one of those big tool boxes or a saw . Guys love saws . If all else fails they also love anything connected to their favorite team . You can buy underwear with their team logo on it and they are happy .
Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
would any smart woman really buy her dh2b a set of EARPLUGS?
at least wait until we're MARRIED.
[sorry, i couldn't resist that wisecrack ].
Gosh, so that her snoring doesn't keep him awake!

Ba-dump bump. *clang*

After 20-30 years of exposed power-tool use I bet you'll wish you'd taken care of his hearing when you could... besides, his listening is already as good as it's ever going to get, right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
really great list - already own for most items but i will recheck the inventory while he is slaving over a hot piece of paper this week.
the only bad idea i saw on your list was earplugs.
would any smart woman really buy her dh2b a set of EARPLUGS?
at least wait until we're MARRIED.

[sorry, i couldn't resist that wisecrack ].
I'm female (and a spinster to boot) so maybe I'm shouldn't even comment on this thread, as it may reasonably be supposed that I am clueless in the department of "what men like".

With that disclaimer, and acknowledging that you were making a wisecrack about the earplugs, if your dh2b uses power tools a lot, hearing protection is a great idea. IIRC, the high frequencies are the first to go with noise-induced hearing loss, so one of the first things he will lose his ability to hear is you, unless you have a voice like Beatrice Arthur or Phyllis Diller. When I used to wear hearing protection on my job I always liked muffs better than plugs, so that's another possibility.

As an eyeglasses wearer, I think the suggestion of prescription safety glasses is another great idea. When I worked on land survey crew, I always had my lenses made of tempered glass. Prescription safety glasses are vastly (IMO) more comfortable to wear—and hence more likely to be worn consistently—than glasses plus protective goggles. Protective eyewear is useless if it's hanging around your neck or on a hook on the wall instead of on your face! Unfortunately a whole pair of specs with safety glass lenses probably exceed the budget, but for $50 you might be able to get tempered glass lenses put in an existing set of frames. (Does he have a spare pair you can sneak out to the opticians' while he's slaving over his paper?) Or, plastic safety lenses may be less expensive than glass.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gosh, so that her snoring doesn't keep him awake!

Ba-dump bump. *clang*

After 20-30 years of exposed power-tool use I bet you'll wish you'd taken care of his hearing when you could... besides, his listening is already as good as it's ever going to get, right?
actually, i was referring to that notched narrow band filter designed specifically to remove high audio frequencies, aka the wifely channels, that married men seem to be automatically fitted with the minute they say "I do".

pre-Freebird era : he spent 46 years on his own, including 20 in the military. so his hearing is already toast to some extent. he will wear ear protection on his own, sans nagging.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i even have a different "cruise staff" outfit planned for each year. i plan it, shop and cook, he does the kitchen cleanup. later.
There are plenty of gift ideas bundled in this concept. All costumes:
1) You: Ship's attendant/french maid outfit. Him: Randy Oxford professor on vacation (tweed jacket with elbow patches and a pipe). Include a Tom Jones cassette tape for mood music.
2) You: Single co-ed on her first cruise over spring break. Him: Ship's pool lifeguard
3) You: Recent divorce' locked out of her cabin. Him: Ship's steward ("Gee, ma'am, I don't know about this. I have a pass key, but these things normally require approval from the skipper." "But, surely we could work something out . . .")

I won't even go into the whole plethora of "shipwrecked on a desert island" scenarios. But I'll say this: if the whole kit doesn't include at least one eye patch and a fake parrot, you guys are already in a rut . . .

That's all. And don't share with your friends . . . that's going too far.

You kids be careful out there.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, I'm not a gentleman or gentlewoman for that matter...., but he might enjoy a hand held massager...you know for those aching muscles...
You own one?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #30

If he likes beer, then I second the beer idea. The best beers in the world cost $8-$12 a bottle, and many excellent ones cost $2-$4. Go to Trader Joes or BevMo and pick up an assortment.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
There are plenty of gift ideas bundled in this concept. All costumes:
1) You: Ship's attendant/french maid outfit. Him: Randy Oxford professor on vacation (tweed jacket with elbow patches and a pipe). Include a Tom Jones cassette tape for mood music.
2) You: Single co-ed on her first cruise over spring break. Him: Ship's pool lifeguard
3) You: Recent divorce' locked out of her cabin. Him: Ship's steward ("Gee, ma'am, I don't know about this. I have a pass key, but these things normally require approval from the skipper." "But, surely we could work something out . . .")

I won't even go into the whole plethora of "shipwrecked on a desert island" scenarios. But I'll say this: if the whole kit doesn't include at least one eye patch and a fake parrot, you guys are already in a rut . . .

That's all. And don't share with your friends . . . that's going too far.

You kids be careful out there.
wooohoooooooooo
OMG, what an imagination! i love it. we think alike.
ladies, if you all are reading this post, a triple dog dare is heading your way. you can't find THIS kind of present in wally world.
gentlemen, what need i say? get shopping for your costumes!
PS eye patch is already in the halloween inventory.
i own a Tom Jones greatest hits CD.
parrot is a piece of cake - local decorating supply store has them.
existence or lack of maid outfit is a Freebird Inc. trade secret.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Ooooh, I know.... Wouldn't it be cool to be a cop and have a new inmate being booked in? You'd have to have a uniform, cuffs and a badge....oh wait, I have these things.......
Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbami View Post
ooooh, i know.... Wouldn't it be cool to be a cop and have a new inmate being booked in? You'd have to have a uniform, cuffs and a badge....oh wait, i have these things.......
triple dog dare!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #34

If DW spends $50 on me for xmas, I hope it's a savings bond (or just cash so I can go put it back in the bank)

If she just wants to give me a token gift I prefer she keep under $20. Under $10 is even better.

I already have pretty much everything I need/want that can be bought for $50 or under, thank you (& what I don't have, be it a tool, music, or whatever, I'm pretty particular about & would rather pick out myself)

Now as to gifts that can't be purchased at a store, well, that's another thing altogether....
Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Under $50 gifts that I would love to receive:

An itunes gift card
A nice bottle of liquor
A flexible illuminated keyboard (FLEXIBLE ILLUMINATED KEYBOARD)
A skin for my laptop and one for my cell phone (Skinit.com)
A box of my favorite chocolates (Lindt)
A tool belt (Bonus: my wife is really into the fit "handyman" look).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

1) Bottle of Wet Paint Glaze
2)Gift cards to his favorite store(s)
3)Autographed book of his favorite author
4)"Personal gift certificates" from you.........massages, etc, etc........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ooooh, I know.... Wouldn't it be cool to be a cop and have a new inmate being booked in? You'd have to have a uniform, cuffs and a badge....oh wait, I have these things.......
Actually did that once....

Suggestions:

A whole day of um, intimacy. No distractions, no costumes needed, just the one you were born in. Unplug the telephone.

Failing that...

A Dremel tool with lots of accessories. They can be amazingly useful, not just for model-building or hobbies.

A drill press if he likes workshop stuff.

An air compressor with some accessories. Even just a little one is useful.

Anything turbocharged.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, if you already got him a subscription to some other magazine then I guess you're going to have to put "Family Handyman" on the list for another holiday. FH has both pictures and articles...
But doesn't that other magazine also have articles? A guy I knew once told me that's why he had the subscription.

-- Rita
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The infrared temp sensor mentioned is a cool small tool that i don't have and would play with now and again - reading brake rotor temps to compare front/rear braking or brake drag or radiator plugging or stuff. For pure remodeling usefulness a reciprocating saw is the cat's pajamas - but you are looking at ~$100 for a cordless. Also great for small pruning
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
. For pure remodeling usefulness a reciprocating saw is the cat's pajamas - but you are looking at ~$100 for a cordless. Also great for small pruning

See I told you guys love saws . Reciprocating ,table , hand saws they love them all.