Geocaching & GPS

Nuiloa

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone here go geocaching? I'm going to be doing a lot more of it after I retire.

I just bought an Oregon 550. Does anyone use this and, if so, do you like it? I'm planning to keep my eTrex Venture HC as a back-up.

We have an older Oregon that we use for geocaching. It's nice; purchased as a replacement for our eTrex Vista.... which was also outstanding but, since we were able to get a good deal on the Oregon through our employer at the time, we decided to splurge.

The geocaching integration on the Oregon is worth it. Battery life is fine. The screen on the Oregon doesn't seem quite as easy to read as the eTrex but they probably improved that since our model.. just something about the color screen.

I bought an Oregon 450 awhile back, but it was impossible to see the screen when I got outdoors. It was fine indoors but there aren't a lot of caches hidden in my basement. And, of course, the minute I moved under a bunch of trees, I lost satellite hold. I returned the thing within a 1/2 day.

I'm hoping the 550 is an improvement. I'd love to have paperless geocaching. Thank heavens for clues!

Nui

I've only done a little, now and then, but my Vista seems to work well enough for me.

I carry a cheap one when hiking. Got it as a gift. Don't even know the name. I use the elevation function and home function. I set the home function at the trail head so I make sure and take the right trail back to my car. Also helps to know distance hiked. Turned it on in Yellowstone and the closet cache was 23 miles away. Found several caches in Colorado along the trails we were on. Fun to do when hiking in a group.

Started geocaching several years ago - just benchmark hunting, no caches. Its too much like my job as a surveyor looking for survey points, so I rarely do it. I reserve my hunts for historical points. Looking to search for old monuments on the Mason-Dixon line. Use my eTrex vista or Trimble Geoxt.

Started geocaching several years ago - just benchmark hunting, no caches. Its too much like my job as a surveyor looking for survey points, so I rarely do it. I reserve my hunts for historical points. Looking to search for old monuments on the Mason-Dixon line. Use my eTrex vista or Trimble Geoxt.

Funny you should say that. I introduced my friends (he's also called Ron) to geocaching last year and they took to it like ducks to water. He is also a surveyor but absolutely REFUSED to look for benchmarks. He said it's too much like work!:D

What a coincidence!

I enjoy the forum and stories on geocaching.com, even though I don't go after caches. But I can see how it can be fun to search and find stuff using GPS.

One benchmark that piqued my interest was listed as being on my great-great grandfather's farm. It had not been recovered since the 1940's according to the NGS datasheet. But I was able to use historical photography (and a chat with the current farmer) to find the benchmark.

Back
Top Bottom