Join Early Retirement Today

George H.W. Bush Passing
Old 12-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

George H.W. Bush Passing

Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised that after two days now, no one has opened a thread about the passing of George H W Bush.

May he RIP
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

George H.W. Bush Passing
Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

George H.W. Bush Passing

“60 Minutes” devoted some time tonight. Regardless of one’s leanings, he seemed to be a good man and married a good woman.

He had a hard act to follow but did what he could with class.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great man and a true patriot. Had breakfast with him (and a few hundred other people) when he was V.P. He will be missed.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Steelyman and Ronstar, I agree with everything you said. Wish I could have had breakfast with him too, Ronstar! What a memory that must be.

I'm not going to add very much more because I don't want to get too political, but anyway I think George Herbert Walker Bush was an iconic leader of his times and will not be forgotten.

I did not realize that Barbara Bush died just 7 months before he did. They seemed so well suited to each other in many ways.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not going to add any more because I don't always know what is too political to say in a post and what isn't, but anyway I think George Herbert Walker Bush was an iconic leader of his times and will not be forgotten.

It is tough to know what to post or just shut up. I’m glad you agree.

I’ve recently been watching a “World At War” series and feeling gratitude for what that generation (including 41) did.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It is tough to know what to post or just shut up.
+1 and I suspect that's why no one opened a thread earlier.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is tough to know what to post or just shut up. I’m glad you agree.

I’ve recently been watching a “World At War” series and feeling gratitude for what that generation (including 41) did.
I have been thinking a lot about that this week, too. That generation did so much for us, in politics, science, the arts, and every aspect of human endeavor, and most of them are gone or very aged by now. Kind of sad. Like you, I feel a lot of gratitude for all that generation did.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
+1 and I suspect that's why no one opened a thread earlier.
I know that's why I didn't start a thread on it. It's a touchy topic, that's for sure. The last thing I would want to do is offend someone whose politics didn't happen to match mine. Hopefully what I said can be interpreted as inoffensive by those of varying political viewpoints.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know that's why I didn't start a thread on it. It's a touchy topic, that's for sure. The last thing I would want to do is offend someone whose politics didn't happen to match mine. Hopefully what I said can be interpreted as inoffensive by those of varying political viewpoints.
+1. Avoided mentioning for same reason.

Will take a pause from all the other "stuff" going on in the world today and watch the TV coverage on Wednesday.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think this thread needs to be viewed as a hot political topic at all. One of our past US leaders and a fellow human being has passed.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bummer. I liked him. He was getting up there, though.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I did not know much about George H.W. Bush, until I read about his plane being shot down in Chichijima, then him being rescued by a submarine. Not all downed US airmen were so fortunate. See story below.

After this ordeal, I read that Bush could have had a transfer to a non-combat post, but he refused and returned to combat duty.

And this was a man who was later called "being born with a silverspoon in his mouth". It was said that Bush was quiet about his war performance, and never used it for political gains. And that's why I only learned about his war experience when he was no longer seeking public office.

For the fate of other US airmen who were captured by the Japanese, read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichijima_incident.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

41 was a class act... probably one of our most qualified presidents in terms of background and experience... a stellar public servant and an awkward politician. He will be missed.

I recall a couple years ago DW and I were vacationing in Maine and were driving by the Bush family coupound in Kenebunkport... a guys walks out into the middle of the road and puts up his hand and I stop... then a few large black SUVs leave the compound and pass by us going the opposite way... then we proceeded on our way.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

Age 94, married for 73 years, he had a good run.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

A read a book a year ago .It was written by staff in the white house and they all said Barbara & George Bush were their favorites .They wrote so many wonderful things about both of them.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have a lot of respect for George HW Bush as a man and as a president. Many people of his generation had a strength and quiet humility that comes from living through terrible things and working beside regular people who rose to meet extraordinary challenges.

Fair winds and following seas, Mr President.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think this thread needs to be viewed as a hot political topic at all. One of our past US leaders and a fellow human being has passed.

Exactly thanks.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #18

Quote:
+1
Never speak ill of the dead. De mortuis nil nisi bonum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

RIP. I'll quote steelyman here, he said it well:

Quote:
... Regardless of one’s leanings, he seemed to be a good man and married a good woman. ...
On someone's passing, we generally take some time to note the good things in their life. And his relationship with his wife did truly appear to be a very strong and good one.

Quote:
Yes, I'm saddened that some people hesitated to post, out of fear of 'offending' someone? If we can't take a minute to pay respects to a former US President, because someone might be offended (why?), then we have taken sensitivity to an extreme. At that point, we are unable to comment on anything, either positive or negative, as we will offend someone, somewhere. That is troubling.

I'll stop there,I wanted to make a comparison, but now is not the time nor place.

My condolences to the entire Bush family.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Age 94, married for 73 years, he had a good run.
+1