George H.W. Bush Passing

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised that after two days now, no one has opened a thread about the passing of George H W Bush.

May he RIP

Last edited:
“60 Minutes” devoted some time tonight. Regardless of one’s leanings, he seemed to be a good man and married a good woman.

He had a hard act to follow but did what he could with class.

Last edited:
Great man and a true patriot. Had breakfast with him (and a few hundred other people) when he was V.P. He will be missed.

Reactions: W2R
Steelyman and Ronstar, I agree with everything you said. Wish I could have had breakfast with him too, Ronstar! What a memory that must be.

I'm not going to add very much more because I don't want to get too political, but anyway I think George Herbert Walker Bush was an iconic leader of his times and will not be forgotten.

I did not realize that Barbara Bush died just 7 months before he did. They seemed so well suited to each other in many ways.

I'm not going to add any more because I don't always know what is too political to say in a post and what isn't, but anyway I think George Herbert Walker Bush was an iconic leader of his times and will not be forgotten.

It is tough to know what to post or just shut up. I’m glad you agree.

I’ve recently been watching a “World At War” series and feeling gratitude for what that generation (including 41) did.

It is tough to know what to post or just shut up. I’m glad you agree.

I’ve recently been watching a “World At War” series and feeling gratitude for what that generation (including 41) did.

I have been thinking a lot about that this week, too. That generation did so much for us, in politics, science, the arts, and every aspect of human endeavor, and most of them are gone or very aged by now. Kind of sad. Like you, I feel a lot of gratitude for all that generation did.

+1 and I suspect that's why no one opened a thread earlier.

I know that's why I didn't start a thread on it. It's a touchy topic, that's for sure. The last thing I would want to do is offend someone whose politics didn't happen to match mine. Hopefully what I said can be interpreted as inoffensive by those of varying political viewpoints.

I know that's why I didn't start a thread on it. It's a touchy topic, that's for sure. The last thing I would want to do is offend someone whose politics didn't happen to match mine. Hopefully what I said can be interpreted as inoffensive by those of varying political viewpoints.

+1. Avoided mentioning for same reason.

Will take a pause from all the other "stuff" going on in the world today and watch the TV coverage on Wednesday.

I don't think this thread needs to be viewed as a hot political topic at all. One of our past US leaders and a fellow human being has passed.

Last edited:
Bummer. I liked him. He was getting up there, though.

I did not know much about George H.W. Bush, until I read about his plane being shot down in Chichijima, then him being rescued by a submarine. Not all downed US airmen were so fortunate. See story below.

After this ordeal, I read that Bush could have had a transfer to a non-combat post, but he refused and returned to combat duty.

And this was a man who was later called "being born with a silverspoon in his mouth". It was said that Bush was quiet about his war performance, and never used it for political gains. And that's why I only learned about his war experience when he was no longer seeking public office.

For the fate of other US airmen who were captured by the Japanese, read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichijima_incident.

Last edited:
41 was a class act... probably one of our most qualified presidents in terms of background and experience... a stellar public servant and an awkward politician. He will be missed.

I recall a couple years ago DW and I were vacationing in Maine and were driving by the Bush family coupound in Kenebunkport... a guys walks out into the middle of the road and puts up his hand and I stop... then a few large black SUVs leave the compound and pass by us going the opposite way... then we proceeded on our way.

Last edited:
A read a book a year ago .It was written by staff in the white house and they all said Barbara & George Bush were their favorites .They wrote so many wonderful things about both of them.

I have a lot of respect for George HW Bush as a man and as a president. Many people of his generation had a strength and quiet humility that comes from living through terrible things and working beside regular people who rose to meet extraordinary challenges.

Fair winds and following seas, Mr President.

I don't think this thread needs to be viewed as a hot political topic at all. One of our past US leaders and a fellow human being has passed.

Exactly thanks.

RIP. I'll quote steelyman here, he said it well:

... Regardless of one’s leanings, he seemed to be a good man and married a good woman. ...

On someone's passing, we generally take some time to note the good things in their life. And his relationship with his wife did truly appear to be a very strong and good one.

Yes, I'm saddened that some people hesitated to post, out of fear of 'offending' someone? If we can't take a minute to pay respects to a former US President, because someone might be offended (why?), then we have taken sensitivity to an extreme. At that point, we are unable to comment on anything, either positive or negative, as we will offend someone, somewhere. That is troubling.

I'll stop there,I wanted to make a comparison, but now is not the time nor place.

My condolences to the entire Bush family.

-ERD50

A read a book a year ago .It was written by staff in the white house and they all said Barbara & George Bush were their favorites .They wrote so many wonderful things about both of them.

I heard the same from secret service agents when we took a White House tour several years ago. DW asked them who their favorites were. And they remarked how personable George and Barbara were.

Always grateful for the service of our veterans, especially those of my parents WWII generation as we have now lost most of them, President Bush being a fine example.

And speaking of service, here is a link featuring President' Bush's service dog Sully.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018...ed-on-watch-next-to-former-presidents-casket/

Sully will be returning to Walter Reed Medical Center for reassignment to another veteran. President Bush had him for only about half a year, in part to give publicity to organizations that train these dogs so as to increase donations to support their training. So if in this season of giving, anyone is inclined to do so, it would be a fitting tribute to all veterans.

This is a 'friend of a friend' story so I can't confirm the accuracy, but it goes like this: (but he swears it's true)

Years ago a friend of a friend's slightly blind, slightly deaf, very cranky 89 year old father lived in Kennebunkport. He was fishing off a pier when a man came up and asked how the fishing was. "Hors@#%t" was the old man's reply.
"Well, I'm going out in my boat; why don't you come out with me and we can find some better fishing".
So, off they went. The man offered him a sandwich and something to drink along the way.
After an hour or so the old man finally looked up and saw about 4 or 5 other boats very nearby. "Who are all these people?"
"Well, they're with me.....they have to come with me...because of my job"
"What the hell kind of job do you have, mister, to need all these people following you around?"
"Well, I'm the President of the United States" was the reply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom