Geronimo!!!

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
That's it! I've taken the plun-n-n-n-n-nge!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
clap.gif

I just placed my order with Meyer for our first batch of chicks. WOW! The earliest delivery date is May 7th.

We went for a colorful flock for our first time; Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, NH reds, and Gold Laced Wyandottes; 6 each, all straight run. I hope to get at least 8 pullets out of the mix to grow out for eggs. The rest are freezer birds.

Wow! The New Hampshires and Wyandottes should be pretty good egg producers. Otherwise, nummy.

We had lots of bantams years ago, the kind with the feathered legs--I loved the smaller eggs. However, they were Mom's free range chickens, and they suffered periodic wipeouts by predators. I liked having them around. All we have left is the two sheep, Emma and Tess, and I'm pretty sure they will live forever!

Hope you enjoy the babies--did you order them sexed?

We had lots of bantams years ago, the kind with the feathered legs--I loved the smaller eggs. However, they were Mom's free range chickens, and they suffered periodic wipeouts by predators. I liked having them around. All we have left is the two sheep, Emma and Tess, and I'm pretty sure they will live forever!

Hope you enjoy the babies--did you order them sexed?

I seen that on Dirtiest Jobs! He was sexing chickens I had no idea thats what you did...

Well, if you don't order them sexed, you will likely wind up with more males, probably not a big deal if you are planning to eat them, like Mike is. But we wanted eggs, so more females were important.

They are sooooo cute when you pick them up at the post office--once we got a whole bunch of baby ducks, as the person who ordered them was out of town, and the post office is directed by the hatchery to "dispatch as appropriate if undeliverable".

We got a dozen eggs from a friend's chickens the other day. Some were fertilized.

But I can't say that they were noticeably better than supermarket eggs. Maybe 10% better. Anyone else find that they are better?

Nah, just fresher, which is good for some stuff, not so good for others (like hard boiled).
One thing is nice, if they've never been refrigerated, you can store them out of the fridge. Eggs kept a suprisingly long time on our sailboat, which had no refrigerator, just an icebox that seldom had any ice in it. BTW, you don't have to keep mayo in the fridge, either.

Al-
A friend gave me a dozen a while back, all brown. Is this more common among "farm" eggs? I can't say that the taste was better, but it was definitely stronger, kind of like wild game as opposed to domesticated meat.

Al-
A friend gave me a dozen a while back, all brown. Is this more common among "farm" eggs? I can't say that the taste was better, but it was definitely stronger, kind of like wild game as opposed to domesticated meat.

The color is dependent upon what type of chickens they come from (some locals sell blue eggs). If the chickens are 'pastured' they eat bugs and seeds instead of strictly commercial chicken feed, and the eggs (and the chicken) will have a bit more flavor.

The local farmers can also let meat chickens grow a bit older, giving a bit more texture to the meat (not tough or stringy).

It's probably a good thing I'm not allowed to have chickens here in town.

Studies show the eggs from pasture fed birds are about 1/3 to 1/2 as much cholesterol, 2-3 times as much Vitamin A, and several other good nutrients. also, the yolks are a deeper color, thus making scrambled eggs more appealing. IMHO.

Khan, you might want to check that out. I found that in my area I can not have livestock, but I am allowed poultry. As long as I keep them on my property they are considered pets.

I have lots of [-]feral [/-] free-range chickens running around my yard, feasting on the various organic fruits and vegetables.

As a gift of aloha, I had be happy to give any/all of them any to forum members, visiting Oahu. Free of charge of course, and it would be a fun activity to catch them in the tropical forest.

First come, first serve so make your reservations now.

Hey Mike, this is something that I thought about doing....how are you doing with keeping predators out?

maddy I live in a village so predators aren't going to be much of a problem, I hope. My backyard is totally enclosed by a 5' tall solid board fence. I have an Airedale and a Chocolate Lab running loose back there all day in nice weather. And I have designed a wonderful movable shed, what "they" call a chicken tractor, for them to live in. The shed is 4'x8' with an attached 8'x16' totally fenced/covered run. The idea is to be able to move them to fresh grass/bugs every day. This will become a recurring theme/post for me, so stand by for future developments.

So. When is the barbecue? ;)

Hey, are you using the Joel Saladin design from Polyface Farms? I'm a big fan, after reading about him in those awesome Michael Pollan books. I buy pastured poultry from a farmer in SC who uses those enclosures for some of his flock.

Oh, there will be picures.

Sarah, no, the design in my own. Although I will admit that Saladin is one of my influences.

Back
Top Bottom