Join Early Retirement Today

Get Paid to Play
Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Get Paid to Play

Okay, I've retired from doing career counseling, but I still get upset when I see stuff like this online or in magazines:

AT&T

I just think it sends the wrong message for young people, especially where they say "Whether you’re obsessed with cosmetics or comic books, chances are there’s a cool job just waiting for you." Chances are there is a cool job just waiting for you?!? Yeah, right. The truly cool jobs don't just wait for anyone. There is tons of competition. I worked with tons of people who would have loved to have been comic book artists and video game developers...but they lacked the talent, ability, experience, and drive! And in this day and age, it can be hard enough to get a job, let alone "a dream job."

Or is there some value to giving young people dreams and lofty ambitions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Or is there some value to giving young people dreams and lofty ambitions?

Makes it easier for the rest of us to crush their spirit when they do start working
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Let them have their dreams; they'll be ground into dust soon enough.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"attitudes are more important than facts"~~saying

what's the difference between professional hype and scholastic hype proffered in college. doctors like gods saving lives. architects like gods creating the world in which we live. journalists, the watchdogs of democracy.

or the fairy tales we tell our children. you can be anything you want when you grow up.

"perception is reality."~~another saying

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Somebody is going to do those jobs.... so why not someone who wants to do it....

Just think... there is some guy who day in and day out pours ketchup into this 'thing' then opens up a gate and measure how fast it runs.... talk about boring.... but I guess the guy who is doing it takes it seriously and does it well... do you want to crush his or her dream?

Now.. this stupid talk of 'you can be anything you want'... is a load of crap... I could not ever become (or became) a pro basketball player... I don't care if I practiced 24/7 and had the best instructions in the world... and I was not 'bad' at it... just do not have the heights or the skills that the top people do..

And I could never be a politician... I am very smart and can learn a lot quickly... but I can not give the BS that they can (well, if I worked REALLY hard... maybe I COULD get elected to something.... but I doubt it)....

Some people have some 'abilities' that if they exploit them can do a certain number of jobs well and they will enjoy doing it... I am an accountant... my personality say that is what I can do well and I like it...

Sooo, no... you can not do 'anything you want'... sorry.. cruel world...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

Yeah, I wanted to be a stud for young rich beautiful women. Sadly, I had to find something else.

But I did find something that worked for me (law enforcement) that was often fun, was certainly useful, and I was good at it. Still, it took several years of hard work to even get hired, and the learning curve after that is steep. It's one of those fields where the more you learn, the more you realize how ignorant you are.

Too many seem to think they can just waltz in to a six-figure job with a six-hour workday and two-hour paid lunches. Reality will intrude soon enough.